BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a hum at about 110 to 115+ kph and it's significant.

Details:
Sounds like it's from the front but can't be 100% sure. Hum only occurs when bike is riding straight up. Any lean at all and the hum is all but gone.
Front tire brand new today as I thought it must be the tire because the bearings were done last summer. Rear tire new last summer and lots of tread left.

thoughts?

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michelin Road 5 Gt. Previous tire that still had a fair bit of tread left was a Road 4 GT.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Details:
Sounds like it's from the front but can't be 100% sure. Hum only occurs when bike is riding straight up. Any lean at all and the hum is all but gone.
Front tire brand new today as I thought it must be the tire because the bearings were done last summer. Rear tire new last summer and lots of tread left.

thoughts?

thanks.
ride at 120kph ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, are you asking if I ride at 120kph? occasionally.....usually cruise around 110 in a 100kph zone.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
669 Posts
So your hum was there before and after the new tire?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
before and after yes and before and after new bearings last summer. It's like one of those things where you try to convince yourself it's not that bad and then you are cruising at 110 and hearing this quite loud whine....heard over the engine and wind. When you REALLY hear it is that perfect scenario going with the wind or no wind and on really nice flat concrete or asphalt!

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
669 Posts
Well I'm thinking out loud about your front wheel bearings. Did a reputable shop do the work? There is a proceedure to remove and install them that requires heating the hubs to 100*C and of course not messing with the inner race while installing. (if using a hammer) When you had the tire changed did the person check your bearings. (stick a finger in each one and turn the inner race feeling for smoothness. Should be no crunching or roughness. Can you remove the front wheel your self and check them? Is it any piece of plastic vibrating in front? Then you can not get so focused that you don't look elsewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good thought however, the whine/hum was there last summer. I was convinced it was the bearings so I did them myself. They seem perfect and turn as they should and it was a good thing I checked them because they really were in need of being done soon. However, the hum persisted after the new bearings so then I assumed it had to be the tire. Changed that and still hums. That's not to say it couldn't still be the bearing or tire....BUT, both are new or newer. thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Details:

thoughts?

thanks.
Can you discern a frequency? High? Low? Beat frequency or straight tone?

·
Registered
10 Posts

Details:

thoughts?

thanks.
Also, does the hum stop or change with application of the front brake?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you discern a frequency? High? Low? Beat frequency or straight tone?
I believe I would call it a mid range frequency....straight tone that comes on at about 105kph and about the worst around 110 to 115. I want to say it feels harmonic...almost like I can feel it in the seat of my pants....but maybe that's just the noise making me think that I can "feel" it lol. Although I travel above that speed less often, the hum does drop off with higher speeds. Talked to my neighbor today who rides a K1600 and he runs basically the same pressure as I do...about 40psi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, does the hum stop or change with application of the front brake?
That's a good question that I honestly can't answer because under normal riding when you use the brake plus off the throttle the bike goes from 110 down to say 90 pretty fast so I'm getting out of the hum real quick. I will however try applying the brake next chance I get and keep the throttle on to maintain speed and see if there's any change to the sound. Thanks for the thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts