BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn - this an expensive hobby. I have been very happy with my K12GT for almost 20.000 km. No problems at all. But today I traded it in for new grey K12S. I will get it next week.

When I bought my K12GT for 18 months ago I was much more focused on the touring side of biking compared to now. It was a couple of trackdays during this summer that completely changed my attitude towards biking. Now I prefer the more sporty part of it. I still want a BMW and I still want to be able to ride 600 miles/day through Europe. But I want a bike that can compete better with the sportsbikes on the track. The K12S was a easy choice ;-)

I ordered it without ESA. Only with heated grips (it's cold here in northern part of europe) and the on-board computer. Nothing else. The ESA option is > 2000 USD here in Denmark. !!

·
Registered
531 Posts
congratulations on your purchase!!!!! when i purchased my KRS in 2003 I thought it would be the last bike i would buy for a long time. while the RS was plenty quick and handled well it just couldn't keep up with the sportbike crowd and when the "S" came along i had to have one. while i wanted speed and handling sport bikes offers i also wanted to be comfortable on an all day ride. needless to say the "S" met all my expectations and I've never looked back or regretted trading in the RS. good luck and ride safe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I just got back for MOA in Vermont, racking up about 1300 miles on my '05 S. Love it even more although I'm shelling out for a Bill Mayer seat. The added mileage is smoothing out the engine a bit.

JUST LOVE IT!

P.S. Surprised I didn't see more of them at MOA...

·
Registered
431 Posts
ratemut said:
Damn - this an expensive hobby. I have been very happy with my K12GT for almost 20.000 km. No problems at all. But today I traded it in for new grey K12S. I will get it next week.

When I bought my K12GT for 18 months ago I was much more focused on the touring side of biking compared to now. It was a couple of trackdays during this summer that completely changed my attitude towards biking. Now I prefer the more sporty part of it. I still want a BMW and I still want to be able to ride 600 miles/day through Europe. But I want a bike that can compete better with the sportsbikes on the track. The K12S was a easy choice ;-)

I ordered it without ESA. Only with heated grips (it's cold here in northern part of europe) and the on-board computer. Nothing else. The ESA option is > 2000 USD here in Denmark. !!
Jeeeezus! How can you afford a K12S in Denmark! They cost like a gizzziulion dollars!!!

Oh, and congratulations :) !

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hass said:
Jeeeezus! How can you afford a K12S in Denmark! They cost like a gizzziulion dollars!!!

Oh, and congratulations :) !
Actually not a whole fully gizzziulion, only around 46000 USD ;-)

And I got a decent price for my old GT.

I hope she is worth it !

/

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mogan said:
Welcome aboard!

I just got back for MOA in Vermont, racking up about 1300 miles on my '05 S. Love it even more although I'm shelling out for a Bill Mayer seat. The added mileage is smoothing out the engine a bit.

JUST LOVE IT!

Although I have not seen a single KS in CT. I did manage to see 6 at the MOA.

·
Registered
113 Posts
k1200sforme said:
Although I have not seen a single KS in CT. I did manage to see 6 at the MOA.
Yeah, but how many KR's did you see at the MOA? I didn't see one...

And congrats to the original poster - 46,000 USD? Yikes!

·
Registered
107 Posts
ratemut said:

I hope she is worth it !

/
46K! Geesh! Mine cost me AU$30K on the road with everything (ESA, ABS, centre stand, panniers, alarm, heated grips) which is about US$22K. May be it is relative to salary there. What sort of average salary do people earn in Denmark? The average income in Australia is just under $50K/year. And I have never a single moment regret this purchase. It is easily the best all-round bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mogan said:
Welcome aboard!

JUST LOVE IT!

I saw alot of KS's at MOA. Well at least a dozen. Only saw 4 other KR's though.....including mine.

·
Registered
636 Posts
cesarb said:
Congrats on the KS trade (I went the same route with my dark blue GT).
I also saw ablout 6 KS's at the MOA
G'day Cesarb and Ratemut (where do you blokes get these names?)
I'm on the verge of changing my 04 GT for a new K 1200 S as well. I ride approx 90 mile per day (mainly open highway). Have you noticed a big difference in fairing protection?
The lack of electric cruise is an issue for me as well.
Thanks for any info re the fairing blast.

Ken.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ratemut said:

I hope she is worth it !

/

$46,000? That's insane. But I suppose if you're income is at least 4x the cost of the S then it makes sense. If salaries are that good maybe I'll head your way. That would put my income around 800k, and I'd import the S!

What's the average cost of a 3 bedroom / 3-1/2 bath house with garage space for two automobiles, and heated pool and spa?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey Baytown, there is no fairing blast with the KS. I have a touring shield on my S (see previous pic) but during the hot sumer months for day long rides, I revert to my stock shield as I want some wind on me.
My commute is also 90 miles round trip mostly freeway until I hit the city (NYC).

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DSS said:
$46,000? That's insane. But I suppose if you're income is at least 4x the cost of the S then it makes sense. If salaries are that good maybe I'll head your way. That would put my income around 800k, and I'd import the S!

What's the average cost of a 3 bedroom / 3-1/2 bath house with garage space for two automobiles, and heated pool and spa?
Hi

salary is not higher in Denmark compared to the US. The depriciation, however, on a MC is not that high, especially on a BMW, (15%/year) and the cost of ownership is not that much higher compared to ex. US. When I sell my KS in a few years I might get 30-35000 back again.

The numbers of BMW sold in Denmark are very low - maybe around 3-400/year and maybe only 20-30 K1200S/year.

In Denmark we don't have several bikes as I see many of you in the US have. We have just one and we therefore want to choose the right one - i.e. the K12S ;-)

The cost of a house (as you descripe) in Denmark depend on where it is. From 200.000 USD to 600.000 USD (in Copenhagen)

/Michael

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mogan said:
Welcome aboard!

JUST LOVE IT!

i think ( rather I know) BMW will sell alot more bikes when they get rid of the "servo" ( as they are supposed to per all the info on the net) I for one have been waiting, when I read about it on BMWRA

·
Registered
236 Posts
You won't regret it!!! The KS is a great bike. Great ride. Great engine...The ergo's just did not fit me personally. I miss it. It was "flawless" in everyway...However, I do love the new KGT. It just fits me better. Good luck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got my K12S today => pics + first impression

Sayonara K12GT !

Got my new grey K12S this morning and spend the rest of the day with "break in".

lot's of acceleration/de-accelaration
up and down in all the gears
on small and twisty roads. Almost no highway
but never over 7000 RPM (7000 RPM in 6th = 200KPH)

What a blast. Spend almost 10 hours riding 300 miles.

Here are my first impressions:

Ergonomics: Perfect for me. I am actually less tired now after 10 hours in saddle that I normally would be on the K12GT. I believe it's a combination of the shorter reach to the bars and the increase of supporting air.

Wind management: Not surprisingly are there a lot more wind pressure on a K12S, especially above 100 MPH. The air is however very clean and noise are therefore reduced. perfect !

Transmission: CLONK CLONK CLONK, especially between 1st and 2nd gear. I hope it will be better as it break in. Very noisy. I never missed a gear, though !!

Jerky fuel injection at low (< 3000) RPM. As so many on this site I was also initial irritated by this. I quickly, however, kind of got used to it. I don't know what software version I have - but I wil ask at the 600 mile service.

Vibrating mirrors ??? - most people here say the opposite. But I have low frequent vibrations (2 - 4 Hz). I hope it can be fixed ?

Vibrations from the engine. Much more than from the old brick. But I like it. It give me a feeling of being "connected" to the machine. I did not get any numb fingers.

Milage: satisfying 40 mpg for the first 300 miles - much better that on my K12GT. But that will probably change when I get it above 7000 rpm.

But above all: The engine, the power, the light weight (compared to the K12GT), the front-end, the handling. Wooow. I love this bike !

Attachments

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Congratulations!
But why did you choose KS and not the new GT?
Is the clutch lever same hard to push?
Enjoy!:))

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
easyman05 said:
Congratulations!
But why did you choose KS and not the new GT?
Is the clutch lever same hard to push?
Enjoy!:))
Thanks Vlad !

The GT was never an option for me. It was either the R1200S, maybe the K1200R or the K1200S. I like the sporty part more than the touring part. The R1200S is a very nice bike but does not have the "addictive" power as the K.

I now have 3000 km on the bike (3 weeks) and I like this bike more and more.

The clutch lever was hard the first couple of days but not any more. Either I got used to it or it changed. I am not sure. But it's not a problem anymore.

Btw: I lived in Novgorod in year 2000 -> 2001 and enjoyed the russian hospitality. I worked for Stimorol (Dirol in Russia). Chewing gum !!

Have fun and take care.
/Michael

1 - 20 of 24 Posts