BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Boyz,

Here’s a bit of info that might interest some of you diy’ers, if you plan to change your own tires on the S/R bike.
I (well a group of us purchased this several years back) have the Coats 220 tire changer & Wilko tire balancer. It’s paid for itself to say the least!

However, now we need more equipment for the new bikes K12-S/R’s and the R12’s as they have the same rear wheel and use the 22mm hex bolt in the front wheel…

So here’s what I’ve purchased so far…

1.I don’t have a center stand on the bike so I had to purchase both front ($140.00) & rear ($179.00) tire stands from Pitbull, I didn’t know that Pirate was also selling the Pitbull stands, sorry Pirate.
It came to a total of 336.00 bucks delivered to my door.

2. I been hunting for the 22mm hex bit socket for the front wheel bolt. I’ve looked high and low on the internet and all around town and nada!!! Well I called a friend who I ride with, he’s in the car biz and his people said they didn’t know where to get a 22mm hex… until he asked another m/c rider and the guy said try Cycle Gear they sell two different 4 in one tools.

I was close to CycleGear so I stopped in and found Motion Pro ($30.00) T-6 HexAxle Tool. I can’t believe I spent so much time and gas looking for a hex socket and the whole time Cycle Gear had it!!! They did have a cheaper one for 15 bucks but my friend said we needed the best!!!

3. Now I have to remove the rear wheel and take it to the Wilko maker and see if he will make us a set of balance cones for the new wheel. He said he would honor the web price of $21.95 each. But I think once he sees the size of this puppy the price will go up considerably…

So that’s where I stand now on updating my tire changing gear for the new bikes…

I’ll be asking several other K-S/R riders to chip in for all the new accessories. Victor was more than happy to give as he’s already had BMW Dealer change his tires for the hefty sum of 400.00 plus bucks!!!

I told him that CycleGear was also having a Metz M1 sale for a SET, for $172.00 out the door!!! I made a special trip and now they are sitting in my spear bedroom along with 4 other sets of tires. So you can see you can save big bucks my mounting your own tires…

Note: the BMW sparkplug socket will work on the front wheel bolt. But I just didn’t feel it would be up for the job, as we change lots of tires… I wouldn’t want to be in the middle of changing a front tire and have it bend or break…

Enjoy the ride… Shelley (;>

·
Registered
261 Posts
Shelly, Be aware that the Sportec MI's for the KS are the "B" code tires, approved by BMW using rayon cord for a stiffer sidewall.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Snap-on also sells a mighty nice hex key. I ended up buying the BMW part for $20. I already had the 22 mm socket.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The M1 is discontinued and being replaced by the M3 toward the first of the year. B wall M1 will be very hard to get but my supplier has plenty of standard wall M1s. On the other site(Vics), someone reported using the standard wall M1 with no problems. Maybe someone else can elaborate on that...

·
Registered
240 Posts
22mm

My old collection of airhead/oilhead tools had a makeshift wrench attachment that was sized for a 17mm bolt (ID so to speak). The outside measure was a perfect 22mm. Steel construction, takes a socket adapter and can be torqued. No part number or original ID available. Still it's nice when the old pile of tools yields a usable piece.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Loggiebone said:
The M1 is discontinued and being replaced by the M3 toward the first of the year. B wall M1 will be very hard to get but my supplier has plenty of standard wall M1s. On the other site(Vics), someone reported using the standard wall M1 with no problems. Maybe someone else can elaborate on that...
I use them all the time and luv'm.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5047&postcount=5

By the way, I inflate both from 40psi and over (except for roads like the DGR, then I lower'm). Also, the front will give you unsettling riding characteristics (steering) without being down to the wearbars between 3-4k(that's the trade off), and that's when I change mine out. They've been inexpesive enough, so.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oh chit, that's with the KRS, not the S. I cannot confirm this either way with the S. Sorry..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Too many opinions about what tire is "best". Many love the Z6 and I hate them...see? On the S though, most seem to prefer the tires that have come on the bike (B wall Metzeler M1 and Pilot Power) but they wear really fast. I can barely get 2000 mile out of the m1 and just put PP's on so their wear is to be determined. Also, be aware that you need the B wall Metzeler for the M1 and it is soon to be replaced with the M3...don't know anything about that tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts