BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Laminar Lip on my stock windshield last weekend. I had one of these on my LT and liked it so I decide to give it a go on my GT.

I wasn't sure where to place it, so I called the folks up and they suggested that at my height I should place it 1.25" above the top of the stock shield. I kinda eyeballed it and stuck it in place using good ol duct tape, measured it, found it to be close enough and went for a test ride. Before the duct tape started to peel off, I noticed a big difference in turbulence and wind noise. Much better.

When I got home, I cleaned the windshield really well, reset the lip, held it in place with small clamps, made sure it was at the right height and level, then marked where the little super stick velcro dots were with small pieces of tape. I then removed the lip and cleaned the areas where the tape was with alcohol. I separated the velcro dots and stuck to their assigned places on the windshield and per the instructions, let them sit over night. I also added a third dot to each side to help hold it on.

The verdict? I like it!. With the windshield fully up, I can now ride with my faceshield open and it will not blow closed like it used to. It is also quieter. I haven't really decided if it's the lip doing this or the fact that my windshield is effectively 1.25" taller. The turbulence does seem less as I lower the windshield to different positions though.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it right now. I'm taking a trip this weekend so I'll be able to play with it a little more.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Doug,

Which windshield do you have? I like a low windshield for wind in my face, but with a squirrelly headwind the buffeting gets annoying. Do you think the LL will fix this?

thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I bought my bike used, so I really don't know which shield it is. My guess is it's the shorter one. At 6'3", the shield all the way up I can easily see over it. With the lip, I can still see over.

I also have the V-Stream. I think the lip works a bit better than the v-Stream as far as the turbulence goes, but the V-Stream blocks more air off your arms.

I've been asked for the URL, so here it is: http://www.laminarlip.com

·
Registered
478 Posts
:nopic:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a stock screen remade, 1 inch longer with a lip, HUGE difference in noise and wind

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
bird said:
Interesting, what's the purpose of the inner shield?
The inner shield on the Aeroflow setup creates a smooth laminar flow up the backside of the windshield, so that air joins smoothly with the air coming over the top which minimizes turbulence. It works.

Coincidentally, that's the same theory behind the Laminar Lip. I tried one of those on my LT and didn't like looking at the velcro dots, plus I found that the middle was pushed in by excessive airflow so it became pretty much useless at speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts