BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one.. it is installed on the GT. I'll post a picture later.

I will give a review once I have had some time. I can tell you right now it is MUCH nicer than the Navigator II.

The screen is just gorgeous.

More later..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the traffic module? I just noticed the GPS is capable of that.

Also.. how does the BlueTooth option work with a cell phone? Is it better than directly connecting the cell to the Autocom?

I have so many questions... can't wait to get home to play with it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
So how much did it cost you? I've been given a ballpark in Canada by my local dealer of $4,000.00!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't have the traffic or weather. We do have bluetooth helmets, and although it has worked well with my helmet, we have some problems with the (BMW) bluetooth helmets at the moment. In fact, we gave them back to BMW and said 'fix them properly or we'll take our money back'. I have'nt tried the phone yet (no bluetooth helmets). The Nav cost us 1k UK pounds including bracket and fitting. Not cheap!!!

Brian

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
What kind of problem do you have with bluetooth on your helmets? Here we had some issues with them after the rain - the helmet module is not waterproof and it could not be cured.
I paid the same price for Nav III in London. Nice thing but useless for me in Russia.
Enjoy!

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Guys, where did they put the stereo output connector? On the 2820, the audio jacks are located where the four button module is.

TIA

Phil

·
Registered
108 Posts
easyman05 said:
What kind of problem do you have with bluetooth on your helmets? Here we had some issues with them after the rain - the helmet module is not waterproof and it could not be cured.
I paid the same price for Nav III in London. Nice thing but useless for me in Russia.
Enjoy!
The bluetooth helmets have never worked properly. Sometimes they lose the link completely, sometimes one can hear but the other one can't. BMW are trying their best to sort them out. They have replaced motherboards, and even the whole system but still not fixed. We have given our dealer the helmets back and asked them to send them back to Germany to be properly tested. I really hope they can fix them. We don't want to have to take out money back and buy elsewhere. I don't know if this is just our helmets, or if it is a general fault. If anyone can build a good system it should be BMW. Lets hope so.

Brian

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi
I was looking at getting the Nav iii but i was told by my BMW dealer that the bluetooth helmets are not sorted yet and they are having problems with them . So i got the Garmin 2820 just because of the price. I will wait until i can get a bluetooth headset for the helmet that i own sometime in the future.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I want to do is add a bluetooth module to my Autocom so that my existing mic and headset can be used. I want the Autocom to be the bluetooth headset, but pipe everything to my helmet via the standard Autocom cables.

Wonder if that is possible.

The Nav 3 is an excellent GPS.. very happy with it.

-mark=

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
You can add the Autocom Bluetooth module to your system. I think the MSRP on it was $265

·
The Gov
660 Posts
eljeffe said:
You can add the Autocom Bluetooth module to your system. I think the MSRP on it was $265
Only prob with that is, I believe it's a mono BT device primarily intended for telephones, just like the one I use with my Starcom. I have paired mine up with my 2820 with less than stellar results and sound quality.

Bluetooth® receiver for vehicle installation integrates use of Bluetooth®-ebabled cellular phone to Autocom system for wireless cellular phone connections. Requires Bluetooth® Miodule Interface (shown in photo but sold separately) to complete the Bluetooth® upgrade.
I know that both Autocom and Starcom are pushing hard for stereo BT plus helmet headsets. I'm holding out for the whole enchilada.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
MarkMGT said:
What I want to do is add a bluetooth module to my Autocom so that my existing mic and headset can be used. I want the Autocom to be the bluetooth headset, but pipe everything to my helmet via the standard Autocom cables.

Wonder if that is possible.

The Nav 3 is an excellent GPS.. very happy with it.

-mark=
I'm doing that now with my Starcom1. I have a BT module connected to the phone jack on the intercom and leave my phone in my top case, works like a champ. The other advantage is that I get a ring indicator now, since when you hook a phone directly up to an intercom with the phone in hands free mode, it's up to the phone to provide a ring indicator in the speaker, and my Motorola doesn't. Directly connected, I would be going down the road, listening to my tunes or traffic and all of a sudden, someone is talking to me, very unnerving.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
tfkelly said:
What BT module are you using? Does it interface with the 2820 so you can see who's calling and dial out from the 2820?
First, Callerid is a function of your phone being on the good guy list for the 2820. My 1.5 yr old Motorola V710 works with it BT and does everything but callerid. Check the Garmin website for a list of the completely compatible phones.

As for the Starcom BT interface, yes it will, but once you do that, you are stuck with mono audio, lack of XM and it doing a complete overide since it is being piped in on the mono cell phone interface which overrides all. I keep the 2820 hardwired and use the BT interface on the Starcom paired only with the phone, works like a champ.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understood your last post. I would really like to know how you are set up. Could you please forward and describe it for me?

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Starcom1 BT module connected to the Cell phone interface on the Starcom1. GPS connected to the audio input on the Starcom1. All tunes, XM etc. from the 2820, via the stereo connector on the side connected to the audio input on the Starcom1.

I also have a GMRS Kenwood radio also attached to the starcom1, with a PTT switch on the left handlebard connected to the PTT connector on teh starcom1. Standard Starcom1 headset.

Again, I'm not using the Bluetooth/Cell setup on the 2820 on the bike, only in the car since there is no stereo option for tunes via BT and also because the 2820 would require a separate mic in for the cellphone input, which is a second 2.5mm jack on the side of the 2820, and there is no simple way that I know of to pull that off with standard Starcom1 or Autocom.

·
Registered
68 Posts
MarkMGT said:
I have one.. it is installed on the GT. I'll post a picture later.

I will give a review once I have had some time. I can tell you right now it is MUCH nicer than the Navigator II.

The screen is just gorgeous.

More later..
well...
where is the picture already?
we're waiting........

you say that the screen is gorgeous.... can you compare it to the one on the NAV II please
thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts