BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents (and ladies)

I had to sell my 2008 Triumph Tiger last fall. House fire/kids college and etc... Tough year to buy and sell a bike. Ok that said, my wife has given me the green light to begin my search and eventually buy another bike.

I am 46 - (I tell you that -health/flexibility/strength) is not an issue. 6' 4" 240/36" inseam.

Dream list - not really a priority but it is where I am leaning as I do my research.

1050 Tiger, 1000 VStrom, or 1200 GS
1200 RT
1300 GT
Concours/FJR

I dream of going off road like the GS Adventure photos. However, in reality, I will mostly ride across country/weekend trips and I will not go in hard to get to spots - maybe once twice in five years to camp etc....
I did ride my Tiger 990 miles in 16 hours so I am not afraid on riding for a while (missed iron butt due to downpour). I am looking for something I can jride to work and jump on and cruise with sufficient power/speed to scoot me down the road. Given the above-what do you think given my size I may be most comfortable riding. Please if you have any knowledge/experience and you can pass that on to me I would appreciate it. Cheers BC

PS the more I look at the RT/GT I really like the look and the stuff they come with. Thoughts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Welcome aboard!! The RT & the GT are where it sounds to me like you need to concentrate. Not sure if your aware of this or not, but BMW has the best test ride policy in the industry, and I strongly suggest you test ride them both. Not long ago they were offering weekend test rides. Pick up the bike Sat morning return it Monday. I came off an RT, and now have a GT so I will give you my two cents on the differences. The RT is a great bike, lots of torque down low, extremely reliable, bags are huge with lots of room I camped off mine plenty. The RT has a higher center of gravity, and feels heavier than the GT. The engine is a boxer, and the way it's set up you need to keep the RPM's high or the engine will lug under load. The RT is less nimble than the GT, but it's a workhorse. Oh almost forgot my pet peeve the RT is air cooled, and traffic causes it to overheat, it has to stay moving. The GT is much more powerful, and the engine delivers the power smoothly. The engine is so powerful it's all but impossible to lug. It's water cooled, and much more nimble that the RT. The RT had better protection, but only slightly better than the GT. The GT seems lighter, and leans over much more easily into the turns. Hope some of this helps you, others may have different opinions, but they are both great bikes. :)

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
The decision was between an RT and a GT for me. I chose the GT. I would have been happy with either one, but don't regret buying the GT at all. It is so versatile.

Best advice: Ride them both and see which one sings to you. If you can - get weekend test rides. If you can't, think about renting each of them for a day.

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
I would recommend going to your local dealer and test ride both bikes. They are both highly competent and fun machines, just different approaches to the same issue. I think once you get to ride them both you'll get a feel for which suits you best. Either way you can't go wrong.

Been through 2 GTs (09 currently) and did an 850 mile day on the 08 with no problems. I did meet up with a 1200 RT on a ride and we blasted canyons for about 20 miles, and neither bike had any trouble pushing to its limits. The RT rider wound it up to about 130 mph and both bikes were stable as you could want. Given, I did pass him as I pulled to 154, so there's a slight difference in top speed. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
bigcountry,

With your physical dimensions, you will find the R1200GS a very comfortable bike that can do most anything. The K1200GT is a very impressive bike indeed. And BMW just keeps selling R1200RT's like crazy in spite of the price. It looks like I can't help you after all.

mac

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Slanted opinions

Since this is a K bile forum, think most opinions will be for the GT???

Are you asking the same question on other forums??

All are fine bikes in general, depends on model years and individual quarks of each and your interface/tolerance with each.

For me, you can have my GT when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
model selections

Suggest you take a few demo rides. The feel of the bikes is very different. Slow speed handling may be more important if you are in traffic a lot. Do your test rides during the time when you will normally ride. Spend some time hanging around with the dealership guys to learn from them. Go to bike night a few weeks and look at other bikes while talking with owners. Most riders are very willing to share insights. Take your time and study all the subtle differences.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Test ride the RT, GT and GS (oh, what the heck, ride everything they've got!), then you'll know for sure which one you'd want. I bet you're pleasantly surpised by the GS's handling. Let us know what you think!

·
Registered
447 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
I would recommend going to your local dealer and test ride both bikes. They are both highly competent and fun machines, just different approaches to the same issue. I think once you get to ride them both you'll get a feel for which suits you best. Either way you can't go wrong.

Been through 2 GTs (09 currently) and did an 850 mile day on the 08 with no problems. I did meet up with a 1200 RT on a ride and we blasted canyons for about 20 miles, and neither bike had any trouble pushing to its limits. The RT rider wound it up to about 130 mph and both bikes were stable as you could want. Given, I did pass him as I pulled to 154, so there's a slight difference in top speed. :D
:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

·
Registered
650 Posts
At 6'4" i would suggest that the GS or even better the GSA would be the most comfortable bike for you.
The GT is a stunning ride with excellent handling and horsepower.
Ive got a GSA and a GT and love them both.
I test rode the RT and the GT back to back and in normal test ride surrounds found the RT enemic in comparison.
I bought my GSA without making any comparisons to another bike and therefore simply accepted it for what it was. A recent 5,000klm trip rewarded me with a great experience both on and off the black stuff.
As we all have different bodies as in length of torso vs leg length only you will know which one suits you best but at only 6' tall I find the GT slightly cramped for my legs even with the seat in the high position. It makes up for this sin with other attributes but at your height it could be an issue.
The GS/A has ample performance and does handle surprisingly well as many a sport bike rider has found out when they cant seem to shake one off their tail. Even though you dont plan on much off road work it is a competent tourer with the ability to hit the dirt track if you want to expand your horizons.
As I said I love them both but the GS is BMW's largest selling bike in the world. Maybe if Ewan McGregor had made a doco about riding a GT around the world it would be the biggest seller instead.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input.

Ok thanks everbody. I am going to Captial BMW in Raleigh tomorrow. I was at a swap meet on Saturday and I was leaning towards the GS and the RT. This was based on a discussion I had with a fella about my size that had both. We'll see. Thanks BC

·
Registered
144 Posts
strongly consider the GS Adventure

I now have the 2007 K1200GT, but sold another K bike and a R1150GS Adventure to get the new bike. Strongly consider the GS Adventure. It will fit you better and is the meanest looking bike on the planet. It's a very good touring bike, can go offroad, as well and has more gas capacity than the Exxon Valdez. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts