BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just removed the hose from the radiator instead of the hose from the pump.

Got the radiator off, might do some cleaning on that. The coil removal tool will be here Monday. I should probably go ahead and order spark plugs, and maybe coils.
I thought about that too. But the BMW manual says to remove at the water pump housing. Don't know why, so I did it that way.
Don't forget to read the post. When refilling, leave the valve assembly in the radiator inlet until you have done the bleed screw at the water pump and hose. You will need the leftover pressure to make the bleed work.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Will do. I found an adapter for the vacuum fill tool that works for the K-bike (From an e36 I believe).

So far rockauto has the best price for spark plugs ($9 each) - NGK 7795. Now I’m hunting for ignition coils.

This is so abjectly retarded. I am sure there’s an identical ignition coil on a car as on the bike I could use. There has to be, and then the price would be like $25 each or something stupid.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It looks like used coils are the way to go.

I assume the K1300S coils are either the same or upgraded/better versions of the K1200S coils and they are compatible? I saw something about a part number superseding another, and some coils are “suppressed”?

It’s against my ethos to do all this work just to put used parts in, however for the $500 savings I can chance it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
After you get it running sweet again I have a K1300 S exhaust can for you. Pay the shipping…. It sounds much better and is lighter looks nicer than the stock elephant dildo looking canister 😜
I might take you up on that! Will it play nicely with the existing engine, or will it be pissy?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I might take you up on that! Will it play nicely with the existing engine, or will it be pissy?
It’s lovely with the K1200, deeper more bass mellow and because it doesn’t have the K1300 longer header pipe it sounds better than on the K1300. No computer issue or remap.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
Yes, K13 coils fit K12 bikes. The K13 silencer will not fit the K12 directly due to header lengths. Some fiddling will be needed. Most aftermarket silencers do a bike no favors. Remus and other high quality tend to do no harm and even make a couple more HP. With air pollution laws getting stricter and fines for messing with exhaust being inforced in some locations, some are getting harder to find. If you take a part number and put it in the search function of this site it will tell you all the bikes that part fits.
I tend to buy my parts from these guys because they are fast, big discount in the Fall (usually 15%) and small stuff can be sent in a Priority US mail box for quick work. But expensive stuff I try to find in Germany or the UK and pay the shipping.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes, K13 coils fit K12 bikes. The K13 silencer will not fit the K12 directly due to header lengths. Some fiddling will be needed. Most aftermarket silencers do a bike no favors. Remus and other high quality tend to do no harm and even make a couple more HP. With air pollution laws getting stricter and fines for messing with exhaust being inforced in some locations, some are getting harder to find. If you take a part number and put it in the search function of this site it will tell you all the bikes that part fits.
I tend to buy my parts from these guys because they are fast, big discount in the Fall (usually 15%) and small stuff can be sent in a Priority US mail box for quick work. But expensive stuff I try to find in Germany or the UK and pay the shipping.
Your advice on maxbmw is well heeded. The cross reference is very useful, and I’ve used it a lot now scouring ebay.
I also need a steering damper as mine is leaking/shot. I may open it and attempt to fix it, however as it’s a messy job and I wouldn’t know what fluid to use I may purchase used one from ebay. I’m also looking to replace my crankshaft and camshaft position sensor, although I cannot locate the latter on the bike. This will happen this coming week, I’m aiming for Wednesday when the plugs are expected to arrive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is a pic of a unmodified K1300 silencer on my K1200 with stock headers. No fiddling. The mount bracket strap slides forward about 3 inches. It fits ;)
A8885D67-328A-4073-8E85-8DB015ED606D.jpeg

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
Good job on the silencer! The big deal on the fork damper is the seals. There are some threads on the old K bike damper seal size. I think they are 8.5mm wide but you will see. I seem to remember that people tried with off sizes and nothing really worked except the proper size. BMW does not sell the seals so you have to do some deep diving to find the exact size. I think most any 10 or 15 weight fork oil is great.
A guy on a forum that was trashed by an egocentric jerk who needs to burn in hell😱, had a thread on how to cut out the cat part of the K13 silencer and weld, polish and look great. It was shorter of course.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
No, lip seals.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your wish is my command.:)
Swap out the existing horn with a BMW 5 series from a scrap yard. Run the wires from the existing horn plug across the bike and place the 5 series on the left hand side, where it will fit. It was done to my K1200Gt before I got it, so I don't know if they used a relay or not.

Looks like it is fastened to the frame below the abs module.

I know there was a video/article on it but cant find it. Heres one on the K1600

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Your wish is my command.:)
Swap out the existing horn with a BMW 5 series from a scrap yard. Run the wires from the existing horn plug across the bike and place the 5 series on the left hand side, where it will fit. It was done to my K1200Gt before I got it, so I don't know if they used a relay or not.

Looks like it is fastened to the frame below the abs module.

I know there was a video/article on it but cant find it. Heres one on the K1600
This is excellent, thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
WOW why the multi electrode bosch? friend had a jetta that used these from factory. I Rrecall they seemed crazy expensive.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
21 - 40 of 63 Posts