BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been thinking about what bike I want after I retire my K1100 LT. After reading these posts for the last 6 or 8 months, looks like I'll be getting an R1200...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 K1200GT with 17,300 miles I just bought a couple of weeks ago.Bike has been setting in a guys garage for five years. I had two go out on me Sunday, same symptoms you describe. I wasn't too far so limped home. Tore it down Monday, ordered four new coils and spark plugs from Euro Moto out of Denver, $300 less than the dealership. Parts arrived at lunch today and she is up and running like a new one!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had exact same problem. 31k miles. I too thought chain jumped but I have manual tensioner and the jump guard installed. My GS 911 showed no codes. Shit! I reluctantly spent money 4 new Beru coils cus I'm not doing this again. Runs great again. Friggin coils.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I had exact same problem. 31k miles. I too thought chain jumped but I have manual tensioner and the jump guard installed. My GS 911 showed no codes. Shit! I reluctantly spent money 4 new Beru coils cus I'm not doing this again. Runs great again. Friggin coils.
Well in this case it seems to be the inner valve cover gasket leaking oil onto the spark plug, overpowering and frying the coil.

I will be inspecting valve clearances and replacing that inner gasket. I’m also swapping out all 4 spark plugs, as the bike has never run 100% in my steed. I’ve got new used coils from a K1300S that I’ll either install on all four cylinders, or just the one. We’ll see.

I’m also convinced an automotive coil would work in this case, it just has a different connector if someone wants to spend the $25 to find out and compare.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
WOW why the multi electrode bosch? friend had a jetta that used these from factory. I Rrecall they seemed crazy expensive.
I’m not sure. The OEM ones are also crazy expensive; I paid $50 shipped from rockauto (for four) and most people have them for $17.99 each.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Now the decision: replace just the one or replace all four with K1300S coils that have ~50k more miles on them

·
Registered
2 Posts
Now the decision: replace just the one or replace all four with K1300S coils that have ~50k more miles on them
I went through the same thing this past week. I lost one and then another within a few miles. I would strongly suggest changing all four. We all know what a pain in the ass is to change them, purge the radiator, etc, etc. etc. I work on Beemers a lot and am just offering my two cents of advice. On a side not, I love these bikes when they are right, none better.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I went through the same thing this past week. I lost one and then another within a few miles. I would strongly suggest changing all four. We all know what a pain in the ass is to change them, purge the radiator, etc, etc. etc. I work on Beemers a lot and am just offering my two cents of advice. On a side not, I love these bikes when they are right, none better.
You’re right. All four spark plugs showed signs of oil on the threads which means all four coils were likely stressed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Tupperware installed.

Final Report:

Bike was running fine, then after following some dumb bitch who was going 20 b/c the road was slightly rough, the bike started running like shit. I was convinced bouncing back and forth on timing chain at 20mph caused the bike to jump a tooth and I crawled into a corner in the fetal position and wept profusely for 2 days.

After I emerged from my tears, I diagnosed a bad coil by firing up the bike with my hand on the headers (watch out they get hot fast), and found the 2nd from left coil wasn’t firing. Ordered 4 new spark plugs ($50 shipped Rockauto) and 4 used K1300S coils off ebay ($50ish shipped). Also ordered a new steering damper b/c my old one was diarrheaing its oil everywhere ($35 ebay). Pulling the spark plugs revealed oil on the threads. I got a new inner valve cover gasket (MaxBMW FTW for BMW parts btw). While I had the valve cover gasket off, I checked my intake and exhaust valve clearances: Spot on in the middle for all of them.

Before re-assembling everything I confirmed the coil was bad by moving it over: that cylinder stopped firing. All four coils were likely overstressed this whole time and on the verge of going bad, as all the spark plugs had oil on the threads.

Anyway, I refilled coolant with the stupid vacuum thing. If you have one, make sure the o-rings are good. Mine weren’t so it was a TOTAL PAIN IN THE ASS and required me to do several vacuuming and refilling cycles, each time priming the stupid tube with my mouth and getting the coolant-bittering-agent taste all over my lips. The video of the guy that did it is super helpful. It’s really not that bad taking things apart. Motorcycles are inherently easy to work on.

I did a quick test run and the bike runs. Unfortunately it’s raining.

I’ve now got all the tupperware installed as well and am ready to hit the road. Hopefully with the new plugs and coils the bike will run better, time will tell.

TL;DR: Inner valve cover gasket leak --> oil on spark plug threads --> failure on one of the coils - likely imminent failure on the others. Replaced valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and coils. Bike runs again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bike was running fine, then after following some dumb bitch who was going 20 b/c the road was slightly rough, the bike started running like shit.
Glad to hear you fixed it. Disappointed that you dragged your mysogyny back into the thread.
If you had followed a dumb man the result would have been the same.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Glad to hear you fixed it. Disappointed that you dragged your mysogyny back into the thread.
If you had followed a dumb man the result would have been the same.
Why did you assume I’m talking about a woman? Stop being a misogynist. Men can also drive too slow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fair enough - you win point 3d. It's obviously a cultural thing.

bitch
(bĭch)
n.
1. A female canine animal, especially a dog.
2. Offensive A woman considered to be mean, overbearing, or contemptible.
3. Vulgar Slang
a. A prostitute considered in relation to a pimp.
b. A person in a subservient sexual role, especially an incarcerated male who provides sex to another male under threat of violence or in exchange for protection.
c. A person who is submissive to another, usually by performing menial or unpleasant tasks.
d. A man considered to be weak or contemptible.
4. Slang A complaint.
5. Slang Something very unpleasant or difficult:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Fair enough - you win point 3d. It's obviously a cultural thing.

bitch
(bĭch)
n.
1. A female canine animal, especially a dog.
2. Offensive A woman considered to be mean, overbearing, or contemptible.
3. Vulgar Slang
a. A prostitute considered in relation to a pimp.
b. A person in a subservient sexual role, especially an incarcerated male who provides sex to another male under threat of violence or in exchange for protection.
c. A person who is submissive to another, usually by performing menial or unpleasant tasks.
d. A man considered to be weak or contemptible.
4. Slang A complaint.
5. Slang Something very unpleasant or difficult:
Yeah you also need to stop being a bitch

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good job getting it fixed and sharing with everyone the pain and fun.
Good to see the collective K Clan chimed in with valuable info. If your friends are anything like mine a ration of shit is often delivered with good advice.
To be fair in your 1st post you explicitly mentioned Her and She. That’s misogynistic. Richtea was cool to call you on it. Perhaps in your world that’s ok, for many of us it’s not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why is his comment misogynistic?? His language was over the top but the fact is that it was a woman that collided with him. His comments are directed to that woman in particular for her - sorry - their act God bless PC😩

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Just got back from a good ride.... let’s just say a new top speed has been achieved, and my MPG numbers are crawling up.... I think xD

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just curious, I diagnosed a bad coil on my Honda S2000 around 10 years ago with the obdii scanner. then moved the coil to verify which of course is not as ez on the k12 due to radiator removal. Keeping a hand on the header seems manly but dangerous! Do you need a bmw scanner or is it possible to plug a generic tester into the k12 to scan for coil errors?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts