BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to the site, old to BMW Motors. I am considering my next used BMW purchase. I grew up on Kaw sport bikes then moved to BMWs and enjoyed my K bikes the best. I am now starting to look again for another bike and want everyone's input, rants, opinions, insults...

My three favorite bikes were my Vespa P200e which I had for 20 years and toured on in high school, a K1100LT that was a little too top heavy and soft but great for 800 mile days, and my beloved K 75 RT (euro) that I put over 83K miles on with a personal best of 1641 miles in 24 hours.

I am not the mileage slave that I was but I still like all weather distance touring. :boom: I got run over in Ohio and spent a year on my back and 5.5 in rehab. :boom: Now I am considering another K 75 RT or a K 1100 RS. I like the looks of the K 100 RS but I think a full fairing would work better and the updates to the K 1100 RS appeals to me. I am looking for smooth and year round riding based on the Oregon Coast. I'm looking to stay cheap on the purchase.

Finally, I am thinking of building an ultra light weight trailer for Kingston the Wonderdog. He is 110 pounds and a trailer does not appeal to me but I have ridden hacks and a trailer would appeal more to me when I take him.

So I would like peoples opinion on K bikes because you never stop learning. I will be waiting on your responses and appreciate your time :popcorn:

-Pete and Kingston

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I was going to take the dealer up on a test ride of the K1300GT. Not that I "really need" one with the new, although aesthetically cheaper-looking, controls.

Too bad they cannot get it to start. They were supposed to get BMW NA in on it. Guess I may go down and ask if they got it started yet. Been a week or two now so maybe something has changed. :confused:

Mack

·
Registered
230 Posts
pmworldwide

Well I rode my K1100RS for 11 years and 70K miles. I would certainly want that model vs. the K100RS. More power, more fairing for protection. You can find a K11 for anywhere from $4K-$6K for the most part. Overall I had very few problems with it over the 11 year period I owned it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Lots of nice K1200RS's around, I don't think a K1100RS would be that much cheaper and the 12 is a better bike IMO

·
Registered
107 Posts
Take a look at the 2003-2004 K1200GT. It looks the same as the RS but has taller electric windscreen,thicker wider seat(most are heated) slightly taller bars,most have cruise control and heated grips and color matched bags were included. A great K bike you'll love I know I do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gold Beach. Man, that's one of my favorite places. We always stay there on our "coastal" rides.

I've been shopping for a used BMW for a friend, and have found that there's really not a huge price difference between the K1100RS bikes and the K1200RS bikes. Personally, I'd look for a 1998-2004 K1200RS. They are affordable, they are only a generation old, and they are a great bike.

·
Registered
285 Posts
We need more info on you. Size,wt.ht. what type of riding, length of rides & trips. But stay with K bikes :clap:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
K

Happy with my K12RS. I did Hobart to Cooktown last year which is the equivilant of one side of the US to the other. Just under 3000k in just under two days, was another trip. (started early, finished early). I like high speed touring, just stopping for petrol, and nice hills. Depends what sort of riding you do, degree of comfort you expect, and your age/experience. I am a grumpy 70.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Papilio said:
Happy with my K12RS. I did Hobart to Cooktown last year which is the equivilant of one side of the US to the other. Just under 3000k in just under two days, was another trip. (started early, finished early). I like high speed touring, just stopping for petrol, and nice hills. Depends what sort of riding you do, degree of comfort you expect, and your age/experience. I am a grumpy 70.
Nice work Pap. The flux capacitor would have been glowing on that trip, especially along those high speed straights commonly known as "Bass".

·
Registered
93 Posts
Papilio said:
Never went that way smarty pants.
Ok then Papilio as Pauline would say please exlain. Going from Hobart to Cooktown without using Bass is like going from Melbourne to Christchuch via dry land.

Brtter stay on thread though, please buy a 1300 GT, need more beta testers.(LOL)

Cheers

·
Registered
650 Posts
Papilio said:
Never went that way smarty pants.
Aghhh, the other way!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Grumpy!

No wonder you are " I am a grumpy 70." 3000km in 2 days I get grumpy flying that far in 2 days! At 59 !
cheers Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
bnsilberg said:
I have a 2007 K1200gt with all the options. How much better is the K1300?
That's a hard question to answer. How do you measure better? What is important to you?

Supposedly the engine is smoother and more powerful. Some people like the new switch layout, others don't. Most people hate the look of the new brake and clutch reservoirs. You will have to make up your own mind.

As much as I would like smoother fueling and some of the other refinements on a K1300GT, I plan to keep my 2007 K1200GT with all the options for a long time. I can think of a lot of things that I would rather spend the money on than changing one bike for another similar bike. When the new 2028 models come out, I'll start looking again. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok then Papilio as Pauline would say please exlain. Going from Hobart to Cooktown without using Bass is like going from Melbourne to Christchuch via dry land.
Was wondering how he did that :wtf: Did you go up the Newell over St George, Emerald, Mackay, or the Coast Rd?

Brtter stay on thread though, please buy a 1300 GT, need more beta testers.(LOL)
I agree with Westy about the beat testers. LOL

Seriously but, I bought last year a K12GT '08, and apart from the few annoying things (gearbox, abrupt throttle etc) it has been so far a kool bike. I looked at the K13 last week, and I have to say 2 things:

1. The switchgear looks terribly small, and I seriously doubt the operational side. How in Gods name a person with my size paws (in gloves, in -2C) is ever going to be able to nail the right switch as the right time is beyond me. Yes yes, I have had rice burners and I know how it works. The switchgear on the Jap bikes are a little bigger, and therefore usable.

2. The cost to 'upgrade' is just to bloody high with a 9 month old bike. There are seriously good offers on '08 K12's, that would make it very very attractive if you are looking to save some dosh (which you can then spend on Farkles....see the logic?) :teeth

Very happy with the handling through the Twisties here, and still enough protection when on the Autobahn for consistent high speed transits.

When I go back to OZ (If ever) I would get a GS without hesitation. Someday I am gonna do the Gunbarrel Hwy in OZ, and the GS would be my first choice.

Anyway, just my 2c

Bloke

1 - 20 of 24 Posts