BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, new to the site but I've been a mostly proud owner of a 1998 K1200rs for the past 5 years!

My current issue is that the bike won't run properly after sitting for a few months. It ran fine the last time I drove it, so I thought it may be bad gas. After cleaning the tank, putting new gas and fuel injector cleaner through it for 30 min it still won't idle properly, and if I jab the throttle it immediately cuts out and dies. It fires right back up, and I can get it to rev up to 4k by playing with the throttle, but if I rev to 2k and hold the throttle steady the RPMs fluctuate.

I just finished replacing the clutch, and while doing so I replaced the plugs, wires and coil hoping that would fix it. I also took the fuel pump out to inspect the rubber hoses (no visible cracks), and installed a new fuel filter.

Not sure what to look at next, injectors, replace fuel pump? I really want to avoid just throwing parts at it.

Here is a link to a video I took: New video by Douglas Zombek

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
90% sure you have a vacuum leak. Going through that now myself a few posts down. Check the crank case breather on top of the engine connecting to the 4 TB's; known weak point.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
63K? Most probably due for a professional fuel injectors cleaning!

Reactions: MY98RS

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
~$20.00 ea. for an ultrasonic cleaning/balance/flow test etc...!

Coincidentally with a TB refit and check for vacuum leaks.Leaks from? Cracked breather hose?.....cracked intake rubber manifolds?......Warped plastic intake stubs or corrosion at the Orings?

Reactions: MY98RS
1 - 6 of 6 Posts