BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, new to the site but I've been a mostly proud owner of a 1998 K1200rs for the past 5 years!

My current issue is that the bike won't run properly after sitting for a few months. It ran fine the last time I drove it, so I thought it may be bad gas. After cleaning the tank, putting new gas and fuel injector cleaner through it for 30 min it still won't idle properly, and if I jab the throttle it immediately cuts out and dies. It fires right back up, and I can get it to rev up to 4k by playing with the throttle, but if I rev to 2k and hold the throttle steady the RPMs fluctuate.

I just finished replacing the clutch, and while doing so I replaced the plugs, wires and coil hoping that would fix it. I also took the fuel pump out to inspect the rubber hoses (no visible cracks), and installed a new fuel filter.

Not sure what to look at next, injectors, replace fuel pump? I really want to avoid just throwing parts at it.

Here is a link to a video I took: New video by Douglas Zombek

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
90% sure you have a vacuum leak. Going through that now myself a few posts down. Check the crank case breather on top of the engine connecting to the 4 TB's; known weak point.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
63K? Most probably due for a professional fuel injectors cleaning!

Reactions: MY98RS

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
~$20.00 ea. for an ultrasonic cleaning/balance/flow test etc...!

Coincidentally with a TB refit and check for vacuum leaks.Leaks from? Cracked breather hose?.....cracked intake rubber manifolds?......Warped plastic intake stubs or corrosion at the Orings?

Reactions: MY98RS

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if you have the same issue but since 3 months (Netherlands) new gasoline has been introduced, euro 95 E10. I have had the same issue as you. So I brought it to motorbike dealer and they told me they have had the same issue with all kind of bikes, also not bmw's. He told me to empty my fuel tank (by riding) and then put in euro 98 or even better euro 102.that did for my bike, k1200gt 2004/2005. Problems were solved instantly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
90% sure you have a vacuum leak. Going through that now myself a few posts down. Check the crank case breather on top of the engine connecting to the 4 TB's; known weak point.
View attachment 27389
Finally replaced mine today, and it looked just about identical. Didn't fix my problem unfortunately, but I appreciate the heads up as I'm sure that was part of some minor throttle issues inexperienced before the current dilemma... After replacing this part, the bike still barely starts and dies shortly thereafter. I guess I'm bring it to the shop next week to what codes are being thrown.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally replaced mine today, and it looked just about identical. Didn't fix my problem unfortunately, but I appreciate the heads up as I'm sure that was part of some minor throttle issues inexperienced before the current dilemma... After replacing this part, the bike still barely starts and dies shortly thereafter. I guess I'm bring it to the shop next week to what codes are being thrown.
Have you removed the fuel tank yet and replaced the fuel filter? I was having a very similar issue and it was because of a mostly blocked fuel filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you removed the fuel tank yet and replaced the fuel filter? I was having a very similar issue and it was because of a mostly blocked fuel filter.
I did, thanks for the feedback though! The only thing I haven't replaced is the pump itself, but I can get it to rev to 3-4k rpm if I hold the throttle open while starting it so I doubt it's that - but I'm out of options at this point..

Motoscan using an OBD-Link MX + doesn't show any codes while it's running (though I do get the hall effect errors when it's not running, which I found to be normal after replacing them with a low milage used part!).

I'm really stuck at this point and no shops around here in Northern Virginia want to work on a 20+ yr old bike. Motorcycles of Dulles (BMW) even told me to take it over to Bob's BMW I'm Maryland, which might be my only choice at this point!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Go to autozone and borrow a fuel pressure tester. Like you, my cracked PCV hose was only part of the problem. As it turns out, the real culprit was a split fuel hose inside the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go to autozone and borrow a fuel pressure tester. Like you, my cracked PCV hose was only part of the problem. As it turns out, the real culprit was a split fuel hose inside the tank.
I did visually inspect all the fuel lines in the tank when I replaced the filter since I've read about that issue, but that's a good point an easy test. It's the one thing I haven't replaced so it's probably the issue!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts