BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, I have completed my new install of my new LED brake light. Sort of my own idea. Hope the pics go thru. It actually is a brake light used when towing a boat with the I/O outdrive sticking up in the air, so people don't ram your boats motor when they are behind you, say, at a stoplight. My install turned out better than I thought it would, and can't wait to see what my buddies that ride with me think of it. I was concerned of getting "rear ended" as the Beemer K12GT tail/brake light is not too visible. See what you guys/gals think. Adios.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My post......?

1200GTosprey said:
As promised, I have completed my new install of my new LED brake light. Sort of my own idea. Hope the pics go thru. It actually is a brake light used when towing a boat with the I/O outdrive sticking up in the air, so people don't ram your boats motor when they are behind you, say, at a stoplight. My install turned out better than I thought it would, and can't wait to see what my buddies that ride with me think of it. I was concerned of getting "rear ended" as the Beemer K12GT tail/brake light is not too visible. See what you guys/gals think. Adios.
Again, my pictures did not "upload" , what I am doing wrong??. Little help please from the administrators. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
"Again, my pictures did not "upload" , what I am doing wrong??"
You need to put a Quarter in the slot to get pictures to up-load on this site,,,, where you been? ;)

Let us know if you start having weird electrical problems with you bike due to the added current!

·
It janitor
342 Posts
OK, I can't see the pics. Does that mean I'm blind? :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ok. I figured it out. Your pictures are too big to upload. I will resize them and see if I can load them up.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Pictures are limited to 1MB or smaller. I see Raffy resized them for you.

·
Registered
362 Posts
1200GT

I like the light. I see the original location for the plate will cover part of the light. Do you plan to mount the plate below the light?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can't see the picture. There is a big red blurry spot where ever I look, now! :sun:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Licesne frame with dual LED light bars

I, like you, did not like the wimpy regular tail light on my K1200RS and bought a dual LED light bar license frame which shine very bright...good idead for all.

excellent pics, by the way.

plastics
99 K1200RS silver/blue

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brake light post.....

lee said:
1200GT

I like the light. I see the original location for the plate will cover part of the light. Do you plan to mount the plate below the light?
I left the plate off for the pics. No, the plate goes behind light, in original holes. Also, if the plate is partially blocked too much, which I could care less since I have a habit of going too fast, if you know what I mean, I can spin the whole light and bracket 180 degrees. If this does not seem appropiate, I will mount below. When I checked though, I believe the light did not "block" the numerals on plate. The hole I used to mount light was the same hole that is for the adjuster nut for retracting mudflap. Anybody notice how I covered up the two ugly holes in rear of fender?. I guess you can buy a BMW "roundel" that goes there, but I bought some cheapy car body "buttons" and they fit like a glove.
You'd think BMW would have put a roundel on there for the price of the bike, plus free advertising.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you can't see this .... your blind

I like what you did - it does make you noticable.

I did something similar by adding a LED light strip to my top case as well as adding a BMW extra brake light. Here a a copule of photos.

The bottom line is the more lights you can have on your bike the more visable you become - a good idea :)))

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Who,What,Where,When??

Looks good. Now what is the brand, model, cost, where did you source, and was there anything but straight wiring involved?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
P.s. .....

Velomaxx said:
Looks good. Now what is the brand, model, cost, where did you source, and was there anything but straight wiring involved?
Yeh, Mr. Hanshi's looks better than mine ! . Mine is bigger though, HA. I wish I had put the smaller one like his on though. My light came connected with a four wire solid lead coming out of it, green, yellow, brown, white. It's made to connect directly into your harness for towing trailers. I drilled a 5/8 hole thru fender (that will be hidden), used the same hole for the fender mudflap adjuster to attach the light. Then from under the seat I drilled another 5/8 hole and ran wire up through it. Then I tapped into wires that attach to tail light bulb socket. I made sure wire under fender was very tight, and plugged holes up with a small amount of silicone rubber sealant to prevent any moisture into seat compartment.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1200GTosprey said:
Yeh, Mr. Hanshi's looks better than mine ! . Mine is bigger though, HA. I wish I had put the smaller one like his on though.

Yes - yours is BIGGER and as with most other things, bigger is better :) More light never hurt anyone. Both options are a big improvement over the stock set up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Velomaxx said:
That is the BMW supplemental brake light. Nice units - I have one on the RT-P and the K-GT. For the GS I am running the Brake! LED bulb unit, which also pulses the brake light when you first apply them. Also I am running Kisan SignalMinders on the RT-P and the GS, which allow me to not only have self cancelling turn signals but also turns the F/R TS's into running lights.

Here is a link to some info on the BMW Supplemental light: http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=820323|956377&PRID=1168704

You can occasionally find them used, and I think that I saw one on the rack at San Jose BMW recently for just over $100. You can get them at any BMW shop. Wiring and mounting is straightforward, and provided instructions are pretty good.

Tom

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Light.....

Here is a link to some info on the BMW Supplemental light: http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=820323|956377&PRID=1168704

You can occasionally find them used, and I think that I saw one on the rack at San Jose BMW recently for just over $100. You can get them at any BMW shop. Wiring and mounting is straightforward, and provided instructions are pretty good.

Tom[/QUOTE]

Yeh, Like I mentioned, that is better looking than mine. Mine is wide, but hopefully not too ugly. Plus the cost was right $45?, which included a special bracket (not used) and about 20 ft. of wire that I shortened. As mentioned also, the part was actually really made for a boat motor outdrive when trailering. I hope it does the trick. My luck, it will fly off the first time I hit 120 (mph). Plus I forgot to install a kill switch to both brake lights just in case you know why.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What about messing up the ABS

I was under the impression that without the right diodes or resistors or whatever, that adding anything to the brake light electrical circuit could cause an ABS fault.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts