BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Hi Deb and Dean,

I would ride a Yamaha FJR1300A, which was my third choice.

First and second choices were BMW K1200GT and BMW R1200RT, respectively.

Do not confuse the Yamaha FJR1300A with the FJR1300AE model. The FJR1300AE didn't make the list at all.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Probably a Victory Vision.

Just because it cannot fall over (it just leans on something underneath as demo'd by the Victory Prez) and it won't cost $2,000 to $4,800 to fix when it does, ala K1200GT tip overs.

It's ridiculous the GT takes out 3 $500+ pieces of plastic when it does fall down (i.e. saddlebag lid, fairing side, and front cowling around headlight).

Mack

·
Registered
230 Posts
what would i ride

More than likely the FJR1300 or the Concours 14.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm disgusted reading this thread....

maybe its just me, but when i bought my K it was because i did know one thing for sure: buying anything else would only be a waste of money and time since sooner rather than later i'd be back....

to answer the question: if i couldn't have a K, i would probably not ride until i could afford one ....

be safe ! cheers !

·
Registered
107 Posts
I <3 my K75S and will keep it forever.

That said. Next bike is gong to be a used 2006 Ducati ST3s w/ABS.

Had a R100RT years ago...the most boring bike ever. Still have my '79 Guzzi and love it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
brucecha said:
The way things are going with BMW quality lately, I might be gladly riding anything else. The Triumphs look real good!!
i agree with this assessment 100%, i love my KS but in the two years i've had it i've had a lot of warrenty work done to it, including replacing the tranny. my biggest disappointment has been the fueling issue. i had 7.0 installed as soon as it came out and for about a year the bike ran fine then the surging, sudden rpm drop off, stalling came back. i recently had the new airbox installed and the bike ran fantastic for about a week and now the bike is stumbling at idle, rpm drop off and surging in 1st/2nd gear. i really love a lot of things about the KS but when it comes time to buy another bike a may go with another brand. i rode a buddy's zx1400 and enjoyed it but i like my S better, the busa is to damn ugly and uncomfortable.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I hear that, I wish I didn't like my KS so much.

an 06, its been in the shop for over 2 months now for a trans, #2 at 39k miles on the odo.

The trans they put in last year didn't even last a whole year. Bike was in the shop for 2 months last august for a new trans.

final drive was toast at the 36k service.

Ya, they are covering under warranty but this ain't exactly my hobby, I haven't owned a cage in over 2 yrs now.

What I asked the dealer is, if/when the tranas goes again in another 18k miles or less, will bmw again pay for the repair? (they paid for this one even out of warranty).

If not, at about 4500 bucks for a tranny replacement, how can I possibly afford to keep this bike going?

so in a year, I've been off this bike for a total of 4 months so far, due to these types of problems.

I plan to run my two beemers into the mud but not if they blow the breakeven point out of the water.

I really like the FJR, I had 3 yamaha FZ1's early on and they were great. But, nothing is quite like the beemer when you ride like I do (50k/year).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts