BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Ilmberger Hugger

Does the rear wheel have to be removed for install? Does it use stock hardware or are there bolts supplied?

Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
I removed the wheel to install.

You might want a pit bull stand to make the job easy if you don't have the centerstand.

It's been awhile and I don't remember if they supplied new hardware or if the stock bolts were good to go.

This is a very easy job actually but DO remove the rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Fyi...

They use stock hardware.. no bolts, screws, or nuts come with them...

sportrider said:
Re: Ilmberger Hugger

Does the rear wheel have to be removed for install? Does it use stock hardware or are there bolts supplied?

Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As luck would have it, the 3rd bolt was stuck and had to use vice grips to budge it loose, so it's off to my dealer today to get a new bolt.

This is the 1st time I've taken a wheel off of a shaft driven bike - man was that a piece of cake...nice!

The pitbull stand works like a charm too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
sportrider said:
As luck would have it, the 3rd bolt was stuck and had to use vice grips to budge it loose, so it's off to my dealer today to get a new bolt.

This is the 1st time I've taken a wheel off of a shaft driven bike - man was that a piece of cake...nice!

The pitbull stand works like a charm too.
It sounds like you've found the aanswer to the question you PM'd me about on the ZZR site.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finished the bike up today after getting a replacement bolt for the hugger. Hope I never have to go near those bolts again - they are mushy and the heads are as soft as peanut butter. Be careful!

I could not torque them, my craftsment torque socket that fit it was 3/8 inch, but even at the lowest setting it did not click off, so I went to the point just before stripping the mushy head, which don't take much by the way. Again, be careful!

The clearance between rotor and above mentioned bolt is slim, very, very slim.

No instructions, no hardware...Ilmberger figures your on your own.

Quality is excellent though...

For the non-european types, 60 nm for the rear wheels comes out to 531 inch pounds.

I found several internet based calculators with different answers! I went with the common denominator. Love that metric system.....NOT! Whose Newton? and further more
why do I care! :mad:

The commie types tried to convert us to metric, but we resisted and were' free!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Same thing for me. Fitted the Imlberger (sp) hugger today. Very easy but what the f-- is with those bolts! They came out fine but no way could I get them torgued back to the factory 30nm that is called for.. way to soft. So I put some high temp thread locker on and got them as tight as I could.. If I was to do it again I would have a fresh set of the bolts to use.. still don't know if I could get them torqued .

·
Registered
505 Posts
N/M to FT/LB conversion

Are you guys sure you're doing the conversion correctly? I didn't have any problem with my hugger installation. I multiply N/M by .75 to convert to FT/LBS. The conversion is practically perfect .

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have a Snap-On digital torque wrench. I can set it in Nm or Ft Lbs with the push of a button. Problem is that the heads of the bolts (Torx) are VERY soft and will strip. I think BMW intended it this way so that one could not over tighten them and damage the final drive. Or they expected that if removed they would not be reused and new ones would be fitted. Anyway I think I got them tight enough and the thread lock should keep them from loosening.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Erik said:
I have a Snap-On digital torque wrench. I can set it in Nm or Ft Lbs with the push of a button. Problem is that the heads of the bolts (Torx) are VERY soft and will strip. I think BMW intended it this way so that one could not over tighten them and damage the final drive. Or they expected that if removed they would not be reused and new ones would be fitted. Anyway I think I got them tight enough and the thread lock should keep them from loosening.
Erik, I guess I was lucky. I did have the head stripping problem the first time I removed & reinstalled the rear wheel. It seems like a strange place to use Torx fasteners. I don't really like Torx fasteners... they just don't seem like a positive device. I guess I'll have to assume the German engineers are smarter than I am.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I may even get 3 of those bolts so that next time I remove the wheel I can "try" and get those bolts torqued correctly...

·
Registered
39 Posts
sportrider said:
No instructions, no hardware...Ilmberger figures your on your own.

For the non-european types, 60 nm for the rear wheels comes out to 531 inch pounds.
Ho Hum !! Same comments on different forums!!

All Ilmberger huggers come with instructions!! Whether or not your supplier chooses to include you in the loop depends on them, but I would take it up with them rather than making a general statement about Ilmberger.

If you need the instructions, then e-mail me at:

[email protected]

and I will send them to you!

Why 60NM??? The correct figure is 30 NM - not very tricky - it is hardly more than hand tight!!!

sandbar
UK Agent and Distributor for Ilmberger.
www.sandbarcomposites.co.uk

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sandbar said:
Ho Hum !! Same comments on different forums!!

All Ilmberger huggers come with instructions!! Whether or not your supplier chooses to include you in the loop depends on them, but I would take it up with them rather than making a general statement about Ilmberger.

If you need the instructions, then e-mail me at:

[email protected]

and I will send them to you!

Why 60NM??? The correct figure is 30 NM - not very tricky - it is hardly more than hand tight!!!

sandbar

I was referring to the rear wheel bolts that are 60 nm - I know many people that have installed these and they didn't get any instructions either...smart ass! Ho Hum!

·
Registered
39 Posts
sportrider said:
I know many people that have installed these and they didn't get any instructions either...smart ass! Ho Hum!
Smart ass - Eh???

Like I said - check with your supplier. You can't blame everybody just because your particular supplier could not be bothered to give you the instructions. They were available!!!

Again - like I said - if it is a problem send me an e-mail and I will send a copy to you. There is no need to get upset about it.

sandbar

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sandbar, as a manufacturer, I would suggest that what this thread indicates is a problem in
YOUR Distribution Chain.

Before you go blaming lack of instructions to YOUR CUSTOMERS on YOUR CUSTOMERS SUPPLIERS (those would be YOUR DISTRIBUTERS)

You might want to back away from the bong and reply with something like.

"Sorry you didnt receive your instructions with the Hugger you purchased. I will speak to my distributers and remind them to pass the instruction sheets onto the end users to aid in the installation.

Anyone that does not receive them can notify me at {email address} and I will forward a copy of them to you. In your email please include where you purchased your hugger form so I can bring it up with them personally."

The above would show YOUR CUSTOMERS that you care about us buying your products and are a stand up company.
Your responses here give me pause as to wether I would ever spend my money with you.
JMHO
PS you might also scan and post up a copy of the instructions here since it seems several have purchased the hugger and not gotten them from YOUR DISTRIBUTORS

·
Registered
39 Posts
karlb said:
Sandbar, as a manufacturer, I would suggest that what this thread indicates is a problem in
YOUR Distribution Chain.
...........YOUR CUSTOMERS on YOUR CUSTOMERS SUPPLIERS (those would be YOUR DISTRIBUTERS)
...........YOUR CUSTOMERS
..........YOUR DISTRIBUTORS
Before this thing gets totally out of hand, lets get a couple of things straight.

I am not the manufacturer!

They are not my customers!

They are not my customers suppliers!

They are not my distributors!

I thought that I had (twice) offered to send instructions via e-mail. Yes perhaps I did not use the same words as you have, but then I also have no idea what "bong" means!!

If you read back what was said, and stop jumping down my throat, all I was implying was that, without reference to the individual supplier first, it was a bit 'over the top' to put out on a forum a general criticism of the manufacturer. It is perhaps even further 'over the top' to object when somebody puts forward a different view of the situation.

If the supplier had then said that there were no instructions available and he could not help, then that is a different matter. However my experience with the manufacturer is that instructions are always provided with the parts. If you buy 10 parts - you get 10 sets of instructions.

I could go on with more info. etc but ferchrissakes is it worth it???

I will say it for a third time. If you need instructions then let me know and I will send them!

sandbar

·
Registered
395 Posts
so sandbar, I apologize for my comments to you about being the manufacturer
. Your posts comes off as if you are the manufacturer or an agent thereof.
If you are not the manufacturer then you do not know that they supplied the instructions with the hugger sent to sportrider do you.

You did however in my opinion come off as a smartass in your post I would agree with sportrider on that note.
But why do I find this on your posts

sandbar

this would indicate that we are your customers or potential customers and that ILmberger is your supplier and you are one of their distributors---- how about showing some customer service here without the attitude.

A bong is a water pipe used to smoke drugs through which from the tone of your earlier post I assume you must be smoking to show such poor attitude in front of a world full of potential customers to your business.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts