BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say "Hello". I bought a new K12GT in October, after a 10 year absence from bikes. I bought my first bike in 1968 and had one till 1995. When an idiot ran a stop sign and broadsided my 1989 K100RS, breaking my back in 2 places. My wife 'Banned" me for life after that incident. Well, I showed her who is boss and got another one 10 years later! (I'M the MAN, Damnit!)
Thanks for the interesting reads and info. Now, how do I tell her I need to get a new GT with a bigger motor?
When, we went to the dealer. I headed for a K1200S and she headed to a R1200RT. I was told to "grow up" and we met at the middle at the GT.

·
Registered
395 Posts
welcome back to two wheels, just remember there is a relearning curve after even shorter durations of not riding let alone 10 years!! get all new gear also as there have been alot of changes there in the last decade. !!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I will admit that I was very nervous riding home from the dealer the first time (90 miles). Only to get near home and have a semi pull over into my lane and me having to haul on the brakes and hit the shoulder to avoid him. :mad:
A big reason for the new bike was envy of the 12 Harley's bought by the younger guys at work this summer. I have told them, I can take all of their sissy remarks. Because, I intend to wear a helmet at all times. I didn't always wear one, but for some reason I had a kevlar one on the day I had my accident. The face was scraped off and had a 1 inch hole in it. I am convinced that I would be dead or a veggie had I not had it on.
I bought the wife and I 2 new Shoei's when we picked up the bike and we are getting good riding gear for each other for Christmas. We have been looking for something sporty, but practical. No black leather with studs and fringe, please.
Beside's I am having fun teasing the Harley boys about their assless chaps and snot rag helmet look and pointing out that $15,000 and 15 miles, does not a biker make. :rolleyes:
I am older and wiser now, but I still want an MV AGUSTA or at least a K1200S. Hopefully, the kid in me will never die! :yeah:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome Back!

Glad to see you found your way back to 2 wheels. I too, was off for almost 4 years and decided to take the Motorcycle Safety Training course. Best thing I ever did. I was face to face with lifelong 'bad habits' and it gave me an opportunity to refresh and re-focus. I highly recommend it. Some insurance companies also give a break. Have a ball! Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts