BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

So what do you think of the new GT

• Love the way it looks.

Votes: 44 12.3%
  • Hate the way it looks.

Votes: 21 5.9%
  • The more I look, the more it grows on me.

Votes: 88 24.6%
  • The more I look, the more I hate it.

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • It's a step in the right direction from the old GT styling

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • It's a step in the wrong direction from the old GT styling.

Votes: 75 21.0%
  • No mistaking it for a touring bike, and that's OK.

Votes: 37 10.4%
  • It lost the sport look, and that hurts it.

Votes: 59 16.5%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. So I'm not big fan of the new GT. Too angular. Too toned down from a sporting look. Looks like they left a LT and a S in the shed to mate, and out popped this thing. I haven't seen a picture of one without the side bags yet to make a better assessment. The fact that I love my current GT is that I can take the sidebags off, the trunk off, keep the RS windshield on, and it looks like a sport bike (and acts like one too). Especially with the turned up exhaust pipe. The fact that it is completely functional with cruise, etc. is a bonus. So I guess I'm really admitting that my bike is a cross-dresser between sport and tour. There is no hiding the fact that the new GT is tour-only. It might perform like a sport bike, but it won't look like one. Guess I've just talked myself into saving major $$$ not wanting to trade my bike in yet!

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Only 108 votes so far. So, like John likes to do, let's get some more activity on this one.

·
Registered
163 Posts
blitzmann said:
Okay. So I'm not big fan of the new GT. Too angular. Too toned down from a sporting look. Looks like they left a LT and a S in the shed to mate, and out popped this thing. I haven't seen a picture of one without the side bags yet to make a better assessment. The fact that I love my current GT is that I can take the sidebags off, the trunk off, keep the RS windshield on, and it looks like a sport bike (and acts like one too). Especially with the turned up exhaust pipe. The fact that it is completely functional with cruise, etc. is a bonus. So I guess I'm really admitting that my bike is a cross-dresser between sport and tour. There is no hiding the fact that the new GT is tour-only. It might perform like a sport bike, but it won't look like one. Guess I've just talked myself into saving major $$$ not wanting to trade my bike in yet!
I very much agree with you. The new GT looks like an RT without the jugs. Whoopdeedoo. Sharp and angular, it has completely lost all the sexy curves the "old" KRS/KGT had. It's also lost character, drifting more and more to the look of a rice burner. Not for me. Now more than ever, I miss my Orca KRS. It was perfect.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wings said:
I very much agree with you. The new GT looks like an RT without the jugs. Whoopdeedoo. Sharp and angular, it has completely lost all the sexy curves the "old" KRS/KGT had. It's also lost character, drifting more and more to the look of a rice burner. Not for me. Now more than ever, I miss my Orca KRS. It was perfect.
Oh yes she was..

·
Registered
145 Posts
New K1200GT

I'm waiting to see it in person.

I thought the K1200R looked GREAT in pics, but fell short in person. The K1200S looked great to me in "bumble-bee", but didn't make me drool.

I'm beginning to think the smooth curves of the ol' GT or RS are more to my liking.

All that said, I still LOVE that darn new motor! WOW, what a gizmo!

Best to all,

JS

·
Registered
828 Posts
GT a sport bike - that is questionable

blitzmann said:
So I guess I'm really admitting that my bike is a cross-dresser between sport and tour. There is no hiding the fact that the new GT is tour-only. It might perform like a sport bike, but it won't look like one.
I'm not sure if this GT style will have anything resembling a similar clearance of a sport bike. First thing I noticed was the low exhaust - will this be the first thing to scrap in the turns? Will the new GT be able to corner like the S, most likely not exactly and its not really expected. But with 150HP at the rear, scraping the turns will become a continuous experience. This bike might have the umph of a sport bike inside, but I don't think it will preform nearly like one. I think the jury will still be open until test rides and new owners start posting their experiences, but for now I'm happy with my RS!

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
504 Posts
jschilberg said:
I'm waiting to see it in person.

I thought the K1200R looked GREAT in pics, but fell short in person. The K1200S looked great to me in "bumble-bee", but didn't make me drool.

Best to all,

JS
I've been thinking lately that the "bumble-bee" S looks mighty fine...and this from a guy that used to think yellow/black was not a good combo.

·
Registered
370 Posts
'Kalender Gurl'

Wings said:

The '04 KGT is more like a Vargas Girl. The new one is like a transformer robot.

"Oh, I love I love I love my Kalender Girl!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need a weasel option...

David, having seen it in person (but only with the bags on) I am not so sure I can find a good option to vote. At first, and second, glance, the slab fairings are a little bit off-putting, and they really don't grow on you. However, when you think about the motor hidden underneath that plastic, then they begin not to look so bad.... Don't get me wrong, looks sell a lot of bikes, and who doesn't want to be on a sexy looking ride, but the rides the thing. And I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on one.

I think one of the other reasons the fairings stick out is the lack of integrated mirrors, ala RT/LT - you end up with just lots of flat fairing, nothing to break the line. The bar mounted mirrors, however, seem to be a big improvement compared to the RT, that's for sure.

The pics with the bags off, however, are pretty ugly, and I don't think the look will improve in person. That said, how many times are we really gonna take the bags off? Do current GT owners really do so that often? And, how ugly is it going to be with either of the RT trunks installed - neither of them do anything for the looks on my wife's '05.

LSS, I have to wait for the ride before I vote. Could it be better looking - yeah. Should it be better looking - oh yeah. But that motor.................

One other question - does anyone know if it's can-bus electrics or not? I didn't ask yesterday, and it didn't say, that I recall, on the spec sheet.

·
Registered
504 Posts
PDegnan said:
The pics with the bags off, however, are pretty ugly, and I don't think the look will improve in person. That said, how many times are we really gonna take the bags off? Do current GT owners really do so that often?
Can't speak for other GT owners but I seldom have the bags on, only a couple of times per year when I'm on a trip.

I find the bike quite bulky and heavy around town with the bags on. I use a Joe Rocket tail bag strapped to the seat for carrying essentials.

·
Registered
273 Posts
sincGT said:
Can't speak for other GT owners but I seldom have the bags on, only a couple of times per year when I'm on a trip.

I find the bike quite bulky and heavy around town with the bags on. I use a Joe Rocket tail bag strapped to the seat for carrying essentials.

Same here - only have the bags on when on a long trips or when my daughter is on the backseat (so she donøt burn herself on the exhaust).

I am convinced that I can fell the weight difference.

/Michael

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
K1200ltl

Think They Should Recall The Gt Name For The Earlier Bikes And Rename Them St.....keep The Gt Name For The 06.....just Not The Same....but I Think The Style Of The Generation Was A Shock To The Generation Before....so There You Go....just Not The Same....or Call It A "k1200ltl.....lite Ha Ha...

·
Registered
408 Posts
K1200GT (Next Generation)

I have seen a number of photos of the new GT, but still can't seem to get into it. The bike has lost it excitement. The curves of the old style RS/GT were a sight to behold and really set the bike apart from the run of the mill Japanese style bikes. Now it is hard to tell if apart from a Japanese bike - not something one would expect from BMW. Also the color selection seems drab - maybe it will look better in person. I had really been looking forward to the new engine, but the bike leaves me flat. I will stick with my 2004 GT.

I just hope that when the makeover for the next generation LT is completed that BMW will not continue this current styling trend and ruin another of BMW's good looking bikes in addition to the GT.

I do like however some of the things they did with the new bike. The lowered exhaust willo permit two full size side cases (good idea), the flaring case is another good idea. Also the laarge top case option is also something long overdue. The adjustable handlebars, and the adjustable supension are also positive items.

Overall however, I still can't get past the drab styling - to me its just now a BMW anymore - sorry.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have the "money green" metallic 04 GT. I cannot walk by it in the garage without looking at the light play off it's many curves. It is art.

But, All the improvements in the new GT. Would win me over. I could live with it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
love knows no bounds

dont fret gentlemen.........the shape will be beautiful in a few months. autos initial look always the same way. at first, ugly, then beautiful. it's all part of the planet's love affair with vehicles............

·
Registered
134 Posts
PDegnan said:
That said, how many times are we really gonna take the bags off? Do current GT owners really do so that often?

I have city bags on my RS and they are never off. Simple reason really, I don't care to remove the "necessary" gear from them and transfer to a temp solution I have to keep an eye on.

(oh, the city bags I have are white lids so they look OK on my zebra)

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
billbeemer said:
dont fret gentlemen.........the shape will be beautiful in a few months. autos initial look always the same way. at first, ugly, then beautiful. it's all part of the planet's love affair with vehicles............
Sorry....not this time....hopefully BMW is listening and will improve the style in '07.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts