BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a summer trip through Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Labrador down through Quebec, across the Gaspe and return to the USA. We'll be camping about 1/3 of the time. What's the bug situation (the flying - biting kind) like in August?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gaspe Roads/Be Carefull!

Although the scenery is beutiful riding around the Gaspe Peninsula......the roads are in terrible shape. I went down after hitting a huge pot hole mid turn. You should be careful when doing this ride. The bugs will not be an issue in August.Have a great trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the cautionary note. I did the "Trans Gaspe Highway" in 1971 by car, beautiful drive, but your reminder of the road conditions is invaluable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Newfoundland is worth the trip. West cost is beautiful. Go up the northern peninsula. I did it back in 1974 on a CB750 Honda with a buddy who was riding a Kawa 750 3cyl 2-stroke tripple. Locals were super. Gros Morne park is something not to be missed and if you go right to the top there is a Viking village that has been restored. St John's is a nice city. Stay at The Battery Hotel with a fabulous vies of the city. The ferry to Port aux basque from North Sydney is about an 8 hour crossing and the ferry to Argentia about 18 - 20 hrs. Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
126 Posts
i'm writing from central QC ,
take note that in august you will have a hard time finding room's for the 2/3 of the time not camping,
there is more people travelling in august that july!

if i was you i would plan and reserve ahead of time
stroker

·
Registered
267 Posts
Can't comment on the bugs, but I will be doing a similar trip Aug 2nd for 2 1/2 weeks except not going to newfoundland/labrador (just don't have enough time) but will be heading through Quebec City, Ottawa, New Brunswick, N.S. and Prince Edwards with many stops planned along the way. Room prices are outragous for most places in N.S. and Prince Edwards from what I have been seeing online (saw $140 CAN a night for a super 8 room assuming you can get one:)).

If anyone has comments on nicer local places to stay around east/south east canada please share them. I have all local tourism mags for each area, but picking through the hundred or so adds for local places is pure guess work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.