BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Insurance

14K views 51 replies 31 participants last post by  gtfromhd 
#1 ·
Let me start out by saying that I am in total shock. I currently have have 2 Ducatis (750 & 748) insured thru Progressive, full coverage, low deductible...total premium for both bikes= $847.00
I called Progressive to add the '02 K1200RS... Full coverage is $2033!!! (BMW alone)
WTF??? I am 40 years old, married w/ 2 kids, clean record, clean credit, (live in NYC)...I called a few other companies and had similar qoutes.
I understand that the CC is what sets the price but I was floored.
Is this what others are paying as well????

Jack

#2 ·
Except for the kids I'm in the same demographic and I also have Progressive.

My wife and I have two K1200S', a Kawasaki ZRX1200 and a Triumph Sprint ST (955cc). We have full coverage on all but the Kawi and rather high deductibles ($5000... by choice).

We pay about $1260 per year total (4 bikes).

#5 ·
'04 K1200GT full coverage, '76 R/75/6 liability and comp, '03 Honda Reflex liability and comp. $400.00 per year. 2 riders both over 45. Don't know what is going on but I am hearing scary numbers. All with Progressive. I really don't like Progressive.

#6 ·
What's up with Progressive?....I am 52 years old, spotless record, zero claims over 14 years stretching back to an old k75, California driver blah, blah, blah.

I had a 96 k1100 at Progressive for +/- $400. Looked into the 1200S and the insurance cost was a dealbreaker (Over $2,000 at Progressive!, lowest was $1600 thru others...still too high)
Bought one of the last 2004 k1200GTs. Progressive was still over $1400. Finally went with Markel/Bike-line @ $700.

...Insurance rates make no sense to me...I believe it's part science, part whim, part voodoo
<shrug>

russell

#8 ·
better news

So, I called them back and started breaking everything down by premium, by bike, by deductible, etc...anyway they fiddled with the numbers, brought up different discounts, got badgered by me for a while and brought the qoute down to approx $1400...a big difference from $2033. Still a big nut but just goes to show that it pays to haggle. I just feel sorry for the thousands of people that just roll over and pay.

I do agree that my zip code has a lot to do with it. Comp & collision are the most expensive and Progressive doesn't give you a choice of 1 or the other. I personally don't want theft (I never leave it unattended in Manhattan) but want collision just in case...the cab drivers are brutal.

It's also CC in their opinion. I explained "for god's sake...this bike has luggage", it's meant for touring...My Ducatis are both red...everyone knows that red bikes are the fastest and most desirable to thieves....they giigled but didn't agree. : )

Anyway...I'm pulling the comp & collsion on the BMW and the older Duc...I'm down to approx $700 for all 3 bikes.

#9 ·
JacK12rs said:
So, I called them back and started breaking everything down by premium, by bike, by deductible, etc...anyway they fiddled with the numbers, brought up different discounts, got badgered by me for a while and brought the qoute down to approx $1400...a big difference from $2033. Still a big nut but just goes to show that it pays to haggle. I just feel sorry for the thousands of people that just roll over and pay.

I do agree that my zip code has a lot to do with it. Comp & collision are the most expensive and Progressive doesn't give you a choice of 1 or the other. I personally don't want theft (I never leave it unattended in Manhattan) but want collision just in case...the cab drivers are brutal.

It's also CC in their opinion. I explained "for god's sake...this bike has luggage", it's meant for touring...My Ducatis are both red...everyone knows that red bikes are the fastest and most desirable to thieves....they giigled but didn't agree. : )

Anyway...I'm pulling the comp & collsion on the BMW and the older Duc...I'm down to approx $700 for all 3 bikes.

It's cheaper for ya to buy a home upstate. I never got a quote @ 10024, but upstate (76 miles north of the city)I pay $380. Moving all my coverages to Allstate and they quoted me $367 with 250/500 plus all the bells and whistles. $500 ded upon my next renewal.

#10 ·
My insurance outfit bills me every six months, and to add the Beast on was another $225 on top of the $135 I already pay. Not too shabby. Of course, I got lucky - my bikes are insured through Allstate, and I was able to get in just before they slammed the door shut on writing any new motorcycle policies.

#11 ·
when i replaced my R1150RS with my K1200S last summer, I called Progressive, which was the least expensive on my R1150RS - they at first quoted me a very reasonable price. Once I got the VIN number to them a few weeks later, the price jumped by more than 2X the original quote. I got pretty pissed off because the low insurance went into my decision to buy the K1200S.

Luckily, I called Dairyland and they were less than half the price with better coverage. If I were you, I would call Dairyland and see what they can do on your premium - no reason to drop your collision on your other bikes just to subsidize the premium on your K1200S.

My guess is that Progressive is weeding-out what they believe to be risky policies.

#12 · (Edited)
The people at Progressive are a bunch on low down dirty rotten scoundrels and they know it. I'll never insure with them ever again..I hope they all burn in hell. I would love nothing more than to take a personal interest in seeing the people at Progressive suffer. BTW...you people are paying much too much for insurance. What....are you going to wreck all four of your bikes at the same time? You can only ride one at a time. If you ask me( and no one ever does) Progressive needs to be weeded out of business altogether.

#13 ·
K1200gt

I have used Dairyland Insurance for all my bikes. 97 Ultra Classic, 94 Softail, 04 K1200 GT, $500.00 deductible. I pay just over a grand. Live in PA. The K 12 is just under $500.00 and the other two together are $550.00 total. And I bitched when I got the quote for the K 12 GT You guys need to move. With what you are paying for Insurance you could buy a house in a few years with what you save.

Dairyland is somehow tied in with Harley Davidson. You don't have to own an H-D to get insurance with them. I've have used them for the past 12 years or so. They have always been nice to deal with. They give discounts for multi bike owners, rider safety courses. In fact the more motorcycle safety courses you take the more discount you get. In Pa. I know of two courses you can take to lower your rate. A beginners course and an advanced course. Both give you discounts.

Give them a call it can't hurt. They also give discounts for belonging to a group. Like HOG or AMA

#14 ·
magellan44 said:
I have used Dairyland Insurance for all my bikes.

[...]

Give them a call it can't hurt. They also give discounts for belonging to a group. Like HOG or AMA
Looks like they're not available in CA. I wouldn't be surprised if there were all manner of onerous state regulations that discourage outfits like Dairyland...

#15 ·
DaveTheAffable said:
'02 K1200RS, 48 years old, Full coverage, $500 deductable, CALIFORNIA (!),
Geico - under $700 a year...
Dave, look at Progressive. I'm with them now, and I'm at less than $500. I started out higher than that, but within two years (of no claims, accidents, or cites) it came down really fast. Since we both have the same bike, same history, same deductible, and almost the same geographic area, you should be able to get the same cost.

#16 ·
Am still with progressive. But serveral years ago my rates jumped way up. Had the same bike insured with them for 20 years. My agent said to cancel the policy and then get a new one with progressive. They then quoted me the same rate I had before the jump. Now after insuring the R75/6 for 20 some odd years I have to get a appraisal to get comp. coverage. Insuance is a racket invented by Ben Franklin and perfected by the mob in Chicago.

#17 ·
Many companies have been reffered, however most of them do not offer MC insurance in NY. I can see it now..."Honey, we need to pack up the family and relocate"..."why?"..."because I can cut my MC insurance premium in half!"..."you're F-in' crazy!"
I am going to start another search and make lots of calls...or try to use my brother's address out of the city. If using a different address, what is required? Does the address on my license need to match?

#19 ·
insurance

Good News!!!!
I went online and found insurancetracker.com - they give you multiple quotes from several different companies. It took 1 minute to fill out the form and I already received a quote from Dairyland very quickly... $655 half the price of Progressive!

Now...I have never heard of Dairyland (makes me think of Milk!?!) - How are they when it comes to claims....I don't want to jinx myself as I've never made an insurance claim!!

#20 ·
One thing about trying to outsmart your insurance company......it's a bad idea....they will eventually find a legal way to deny your legitimate claim. I am with Geico cycle guard and I pay $575 per year full coverage on two BMW's. It did not change the rate to add the second bike. Registration is less than $25 per year on the 1200cc and less than $19 per year on the 650cc. No tickets or accidents in over 3 years and I dont even have a motorcycle endorsment from the state in over 10 years. No MSF course in I dont know how long. Anyway....you payz your money...you takes your chances......When that 18 wheeler runs me over...I hope Geico pays for my funeral at least.

#21 ·
TheMechanic said:
When that 18 wheeler runs me over...I hope Geico pays for my funeral at least.
If you don't have a motorcycle endorsement on your license, they just might not pay in the event such a thing happens. It would probably be in your best interests then, to cover that little legal loophole...

#22 ·
You are correct! However, I wasn't trying to outsmart the company...the bikes spend plenty of time at my brother's as do I...I actually call it my 2nd home. The issue is that on paper, me and the bikes belong in Manhattan....anyway...other companies have called and all are half price of Progressive. I just pulled the check that was going to be mailed to them this afternoon.

#23 ·
Dairyland

JacK12rs said:
Now...I have never heard of Dairyland (makes me think of Milk!?!) - How are they when it comes to claims....I don't want to jinx myself as I've never made an insurance claim!!
I've used Dairyland for 20 years. Never had an issue with them. Years ago when I wrecked my R65 (because a stupid f*^$*!g construction company forgot to backfill the ditch they dug across the road) Dairyland had a check in my hands for the full value of the bike in about a week. When I got my RS, for kicks I got a quote from Progressive - close to $1K for full coverage. Dairyland came in a bit over $300 for the same coverage.

#24 · (Edited)
Nope...they asked me if I did have an endorsment and I told them the truth...NO. They've already paid one claim. I had me a lowside..cuz I wanst used to riding a dirtbike on the street in 20 years. I got scratches in all the right places and they paid for em all. You did make me go back and read the policy though...MC endorsements are not required. Do you ever wonder why a person with 22 years roadracing experience cant pass the state motorcycle written exam? I do. Failed three times in a row..I walked out laughing but scratching my head. Anyway..I'm gonna try again this summer.

#25 ·
clutch said:
I've used Dairyland for 20 years. Never had an issue with them. Years ago when I wrecked my R65 (because a stupid f*^$*!g construction company forgot to backfill the ditch they dug across the road) Dairyland had a check in my hands for the full value of the bike in about a week. When I got my RS, for kicks I got a quote from Progressive - close to $1K for full coverage. Dairyland came in a bit over $300 for the same coverage.
Thanks for the info...I spoke w/ their rep...looks like I'll be transferring all 3bikes to Dairyland. I am just waiting to get the numbers in order and am looking forward to telling Progressive exactly where they can go. But I'll hold tight while I go out for a ride today!

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.