BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to determine if front braking system components, particularily the brake calipers and the brake master cylinder, from an '02 K12RS will fit my '98 (mine has a lot of wear on it). I realize the '01 has the EVO III intergral antilock braking system whereas mine has the straight/independant antilock front and rear system, and have no idea if this required a change in any of these three components, or if the change was in the anti-lock unit.
Also, is the rear shock from the '01 interchangable? I know the '01 has a different external adjuster knob which has a bracket on the frame that I will need to have, but other than that are they interchangable?
And finally, i'm trying to determine if the front steering damper is interchangable between the 2 year models.
I would greatly appreciate any insight I could receive.
Thanks in advance. Jim Stergas

·
Registered
264 Posts
www.bobsbmw.com has a very good online catalog pdf where they list part numbers. If the part numbers are different for different years they are usually listed as such. --Jerry

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Hi Jims,

I have a new front and rear stock pair swapped off a new sale bike for Ohlins. My bike's a '97.

I haven't needed them or fitted them yet, I believe they are interchangeable but you have to fit the adjuster somewhere. I decided that tie wraps wouldn't be for me, so if I fitted the rear I'd get a pattern bracket made and tack welded to the rear frame. Look at newer bike to see what it looks like. The location seems quite important to avoid conflict with a pillion.

There was some feedback on the old board about final ride height on the rear being possibly different, but after several exchanges and various measurements I think the posts were inconclusive, trying to compare a worn shock with a new one.

On braking components, I'd be reluctant to consider parts interchangeable unless part numbers were the same. For one, you build a legacy into your bike that some future owner may replace internal parts e.g seals or pistons on calipers, based on what they assume is the correct part. I wouldn't put the rear shock in that category, since it's obviously changed and generally a dispose item.

You'll no doubt be advised to swap out for aftermarkets, but if you have good or new stockers cheap, that may be your choice option. If you are a heavy person riding with pillion a lot, alternatives can be better, last longer and be refurbed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts