BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, glad to be part of the group! I have a 04 K1200GT with an intermittent starting problem. It appears to be heat related as it only happens in the summer. Last week, I went to go to club meeting, fired up the bike, it idled for maybe 2 min while i put the my gear on. I rode about 1.5 miles, stopped at the gas station to refuel. The bike was off for maybe 3 min or so, then when I tried to start, it would not start. No crank, just a click from maybe the starter relay and that is it. That is the first time it has failed that quick. In the past, I would usually ride for some time before it would fail when I stopped. When if fails, I just let the bike sit and cool down for about 30 min or so, then it fires right back up. It has been to 2 BMW dealers and they have not been able to get it to fail. I am not confident to ride any distance for fear it will leave me stranded. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds to me like Voltage drop on the starter feed due to heat - clean all the connections to the starter and solenoid, make sure the supply wire is good condition and with no broken down strands and if there is a relay in circuit might pay to replace that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the battery. Could be old and putting out as much voltage as a new one. Maybe consider a battery tender.
The K1300GT has hot restart issue. I have read that there is a heavier gauge wire kit to help with this problem, could be similar.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't know how old the battery is, but it's always the cheapest place to begin with a starter problem. Batteries don't like heat. Could be even as simple as a loose cable that looses contact as everything gets hot during a ride. If the starter relay is clicking, that's a sure sign of a voltage drop. Current is flowing, just not enough to engage the starter. If it happens again, try tooting the horn...a voltage drop or weak battery and it would sound like a sick frog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, but it is a brand new battery and i have always used a battery tender. i have tried the horn and it is full song. I have not looked at the wiring as suggested. that i will do. thanks again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What I meant was to try the horn (or lights, or something elec.) when the "no start" condition shows up. In other words, when it happens, is the entire bike electrical system dead? Or just the starter system.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It turns out it is the starter. It has a bad spot as confirmed by my local dealer. They could not get to fail but suggested i put the bike in 6th gear and roll it backwards and let the clutch out when it failed. this would spin the started just enough to get away from the bad spot. when i went to pick it up, it failed after a short ride in the area. i tried what they suggested and it started right up. since it costs $1400 to replace the starter and the bike is 13 years old, i think i will use that method for a while. thanks for all the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts