BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Gentleman,

I will hopefully be joining the fold after this weekend. Looking at purchasing a 2008 K1200GT over in Florida that has 23,650 miles. After 24,000 miles services and taxes I am looking at $9540 which seems like a pretty good deal to me. I have confirmed that the timing chain guard has been installed so I'm good there. Let me know what you think of the price and stop by to introduce yourself.


Clayton
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Welcome sir. I don't think there is an issue that hasn't been touched upon here about these bikes. They have great potential but usually need some tweeking to get there. As for your bike/price, sounds like a good deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
Ahhh...the K1200GT....you'll love it and hate it at the same time.

But I can't afford a new bike so.... :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
Welcome

Hello Clayton,

I hope things work out for you with the purchase. Regardless, welcome to the next gen KGT forum. I'm on the 99% love it side of the fence. The 1% hate it is because I don't get to ride it as often as I would like to. I have a first year 2006 with the power assist braking. I've done the timing chain anti-jump guard and replaced the final drive. Let us know if you get the ride!

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John06KGT said:
Hello Clayton,

I hope things work out for you with the purchase. Regardless, welcome to the next gen KGT forum. I'm on the 99% love it side of the fence. The 1% hate it is because I don't get to ride it as often as I would like to. I have a first year 2006 with the power assist braking. I've done the timing chain anti-jump guard and replaced the final drive. Let us know if you get the ride!

John
Thanks for the welcome John. I have placed a deposit on the bike and after a thorough inspection it will probably be a done deal. I was looking up the service intervals and it says that after 6,000 miles it is every 12,000 miles. So 18,000 then 30,000. However, the dealer selling me the bike said that the 24,000 miles service needed to be taken care of? I wasn't aware of a 24,000 mile service. Is the dealer trying to pull a fast one on me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On Thursday I was convinced I wanted a K1200, by Friday I was on this website and it's now Saturday night and I am scared shitless to go through with the purchase haha. Man, this bike has a laundry list of failures and complaints. I am coming from a F800ST which had its fair share of issues and I was wanting to move past all that. Maybe that means getting something other than a BMW :(

Maybe a flying brick is in order...DAMN!
 

·
Addict-oholic
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
Go do it. Don't let all the 'gremlin' shit bother you. just remember, the bad stuff is always posted on the net.; the good stuff is almost never. I had a 2006 for 3 years and loved it. Only one issue, solved by the dealer. I migrated to the 2009, for the better ergonomics and handling for my peculiar issue, living on a sloped driveway. At very slow speeds, I sometimes did a tip over as I was stopping to look at he traffic with my bars slightly turned.
Always stop with the bars straight.
My 2009 has had more issues than the 2006. GO FOR IT.
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the encouragement Larry. The bike that I placed a deposit on is in Florida (I live in Texas) so I was going to fly out one weekend a ride it back. However, a private seller located in Texas has come into the picture. It is a low mileage 2008 that was only dropped once (like a french rifle hehe!) and the agreed price is $7500. It looks like a pretty solid deal but I will know for sure once I get the service record.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Hangtenclayton said:
Thanks for the encouragement Larry. The bike that I placed a deposit on is in Florida (I live in Texas) so I was going to fly out one weekend a ride it back. However, a private seller located in Texas has come into the picture. It is a low mileage 2008 that was only dropped once (like a french rifle hehe!) and the agreed price is $7500. It looks like a pretty solid deal but I will know for sure once I get the service record.
Good morning, Clayton...I bought a 2004 K1200GT a few months ago and it is at Lone Star in Austin for the 24,000 mile service and is ready to pick up tomorrow. Prior to the GT I rode a R1100RT for seven years and as much as I love the RT, I enjoy the GT even more!

We are neighbors of a sort, as our ranch is about 120 miles North of you off Hwy. 281 between Lampasas and Hamilton. Good luck with your purchase and maybe we will have the opportunity to ride in the future. Welcome aboard!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TexasAgman said:
Good morning, Clayton...I bought a 2004 K1200GT a few months ago and it is at Lone Star in Austin for the 24,000 mile service and is ready to pick up tomorrow. Prior to the GT I rode a R1100RT for seven years and as much as I love the RT, I enjoy the GT even more!

We are neighbors of a sort, as our ranch is about 120 miles North of you off Hwy. 281 between Lampasas and Hamilton. Good luck with your purchase and maybe we will have the opportunity to ride in the future. Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the welcome TexasAgman. Lonestar seems like a pretty straight up dealer to me. I went there a couple of weeks ago to test ride a 2007 K1200 GT that they have had listed. In the end, I decided that a 2008 was what I was looking for. That is pretty country around where your ranch is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
TexasAgman said:
Good morning, Clayton...I bought a 2004 K1200GT a few months ago and it is at Lone Star in Austin for the 24,000 mile service and is ready to pick up tomorrow. Prior to the GT I rode a R1100RT for seven years and as much as I love the RT, I enjoy the GT even more!

We are neighbors of a sort, as our ranch is about 120 miles North of you off Hwy. 281 between Lampasas and Hamilton. Good luck with your purchase and maybe we will have the opportunity to ride in the future. Welcome aboard!

You do realize that a 2004 GT is a completely different bike than a the GTs we speak of here on this forum?
Prior to '06 the K1200/GT was a flying brick (flat four) rather than the slant four the next gen GTs are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
kbmwrs said:
You do realize that a 2004 GT is a completely different bike than a the GTs we speak of here on this forum?
Prior to '06 the K1200/GT was a flying brick (flat four) rather than the slant four the next gen GTs are.
Thanks for your observations. My post was intended to be more of a ''welcome aboard" than about RS/GT specifics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Hangtenclayton said:
On Thursday I was convinced I wanted a K1200, by Friday I was on this website and it's now Saturday night and I am scared shitless to go through with the purchase haha. Man, this bike has a laundry list of failures and complaints. I am coming from a F800ST which had its fair share of issues and I was wanting to move past all that. Maybe that means getting something other than a BMW :(

Maybe a flying brick is in order...DAMN!

You need a "feel good" story it appears my friend..........

If you start looking at "what-ifs" regarding any bike, you won't buy a bike at all. They all have problems and issues. If there was ever a perfect one, all the others would be sold and everyone would have the same bike. :)

Just perform your due diligence and research....make sure of what recalls (or campaigns as BMW-homeland calls them) have been taken care of.

I bought my K12GT from a good dude down in Austin, TX last June. Purchased it on photos alone and the information the owner was providing. I did my research (yes, I saw all the same doom-n-gloom you saw here too) and it didn't seem that bad to me. Flew down on a one-way ticket and rode it all the way home to Indianapolis over a Friday night and Saturday. Was on it for 750+ miles the second day I owned it and I had a smile on my face the entire time.....even super-slabbing it. That's when I knew I made the right decision. Any bike that doesn't hurt me after 750 miles is my friend, I don't care if it has bad tire pressure sensors or not. :2beers:

Good luck on your decisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tom07K1200GT said:
You need a "feel good" story it appears my friend..........

If you start looking at "what-ifs" regarding any bike, you won't buy a bike at all. They all have problems and issues. If there was ever a perfect one, all the others would be sold and everyone would have the same bike. :)

Just perform your due diligence and research....make sure of what recalls (or campaigns as BMW-homeland calls them) have been taken care of.

I bought my K12GT from a good dude down in Austin, TX last June. Purchased it on photos alone and the information the owner was providing. I did my research (yes, I saw all the same doom-n-gloom you saw here too) and it didn't seem that bad to me. Flew down on a one-way ticket and rode it all the way home to Indianapolis over a Friday night and Saturday. Was on it for 750+ miles the second day I owned it and I had a smile on my face the entire time.....even super-slabbing it. That's when I knew I made the right decision. Any bike that doesn't hurt me after 750 miles is my friend, I don't care if it has bad tire pressure sensors or not. :2beers:

Good luck on your decisions.

This is what I needed to hear! The owner of the bike I am looking at has taken good care of the bike. He provided me with the 20 page service history of everything that has ever been done.

I have been reading up on the timing chain / tensioner/ jump guard thread. Based on the bike's service history, only the jump guard was installed. Was the tensioner and chain on the 08's compensated for or is it still better to get a new chain and new tensioner along with the jump guard?

Thanks for all the responses fellas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Hangtenclayton said:
This is what I needed to hear! The owner of the bike I am looking at has taken good care of the bike. He provided me with the 20 page service history of everything that has ever been done.

I have been reading up on the timing chain / tensioner/ jump guard thread. Based on the bike's service history, only the jump guard was installed. Was the tensioner and chain on the 08's compensated for or is it still better to get a new chain and new tensioner along with the jump guard?

Thanks for all the responses fellas.
Sounds like the owner of the one you're looking at is about like the previous owner of mine was. You can just tell how well someone cared for their machine when you speak with them about what they've done, how they ride and generally how well they know the bike. If they can't answer questions or haven't been faithful on maintenance (whether with their own hands or dealership/shop), I usually run away fast.

Mine had the campaign repair performed, I think it was just the jump guard. No reason to replace the chain and tensioner if it has low or even moderate miles, in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tom07K1200GT said:
Sounds like the owner of the one you're looking at is about like the previous owner of mine was. You can just tell how well someone cared for their machine when you speak with them about what they've done, how they ride and generally how well they know the bike. If they can't answer questions or haven't been faithful on maintenance (whether with their own hands or dealership/shop), I usually run away fast.

Mine had the campaign repair performed, I think it was just the jump guard. No reason to replace the chain and tensioner if it has low or even moderate miles, in my opinion.
She's at 18,350 miles which I'm guessing would place it in te moderate range. I can't wait to go get it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well gentleman I have joined the fold. Flew up to Dallas yesterday and rode her back. What an amazing ride! I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. The power that this beast has is pretty amazing. I am coming from an F800ST that wasn't slow by any means but this thing is in another league when accelerating at highway speeds. That was the funnest 340 miles I have ever had the pleasure of riding on a bike. Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Hangtenclayton said:
Well gentleman I have joined the fold. Flew up to Dallas yesterday and rode her back. What an amazing ride! I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. The power that his beast has is pretty amazing. I am coming from an F800ST that wasn't slow by any means but this thing is in another league when accelerating at highway speeds. That was the most fun 340 miles have ever had the pleasure of riding on a bike. Cheers!

Awesome!!! Glad to hear you're happy, and here's to many many miles of fun!!!
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top