BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!!!

First of all, let me introduce myself: I am Mauricio and I am the new owner (1 month) of a 2005 K1200s. This bike came after been riding a little Ninja 250r for 5 years so this is an amazing bike (at least for me)

I want to say thanks to everyone in this forum since all the info found here has been really helpful

The bike had some details that needed to be fixed and I am working in some of them.

So far, I have replaced brake pads, bleed rear brake, cleaned throttle bodies, fixed front shock wiring, fixed leaking fuel connector at tank, secured brake lines (ABS module has been removed), grips have been replaced.

Also tried airbox fettle to fix some high idle, stalls, erratic idle and it helped a lot but ended replacing the airbox with the improved version and all mu problems with idle are finally corrected.

I have a few questions hopefully some can help me with:

1. With the airbox upgrade it is suggested to do a software update... is this update something I can do with WinKFP??? is there any DIY for this???
2. The rear brake feels hard and lack of power.... Is this due to the ABS removal??? is there any way to give it more stopping power??

I will really appreciate any help to make my bike better.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1300S Motorsport Edition
359 Posts
First of all welcome to K bikes (y)
(1. With the airbox upgrade it is suggested to do a software update... is this update something I can do with WinKFP??? is there any DIY for this???)
If you have a BMW dealership close to you they can do the software. If you have the software update data it could be loaded with either Moto scan pro or a GS911 interface.

(The rear brake feels hard and lack of power.... Is this due to the ABS removal??? is there any way to give it more stopping power??)
With the ABS/Power assist module removed, engaging the brakes will be much harder.

·
Super Moderator
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,481 Posts
Yes, a trip to the dealer for the latest software will be worth the money. They connect the bike to Germany and take a look at what is there and go on with needed updates. Doug is right on, rear brake is good in the parking lot or on things that are not safe for front brake like tight U turns. Welcome and please share adventures.

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
105 Posts
I did this same procedure. Took my K bike in for the software update after the airbox replacement. Make sure to tell them you have the newer airbox so their computer will provide the software update option. My Motorrad dealer charged me for thirty minutes work for this while I waited patiently. You can search this thread for the BMW tech service bulletin for this update which may help your technician. If you cannot find it let me know I have a copy here somewhere.

·
Registered
2005 K1200S
21 Posts
As far as the rear brake goes the stock unit uses a 16mm master cylinder on the original servo system. To improve braking function I would suggest buying a 13mm Brembo Master Cylinder which will give you the proper pressure for non servo bike. I also have a new to me 2005 K1200S with 2700 miles and would like to know a bit more about that airbox upgrade. I will have to do a search for that bulletin. I just got done removing the servo unit on mine. Here is a link for the master cylinder. You will need to use your old reservoir and hose. I tried a 14mm first which helped a lot. The 13mm gives just a bit more stopping power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all!!!

I will try the 13mm master cylinder.

As per the Airbox upgrade, I bought a used airbox from a K1300s for $150 usd on ebay and it worked great. You need to look for the 4 bolts secured valve (2 bolts for the valve a 2 more for the air distributor) the older version has only 2 bolts. Please let me know if I can help in some way. (attached is an image showing the 4 bolts securing the valve and air distributor)

Regarding the software update is the dealer the only way to go???

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hola Senior!

Biennvenidos!

If memory serves Correctly: you have a good BMW Moto Dealer in Quintana Roo, Cancun. I've had excellent service from that young business owner and he was very pleasant and professional.

If in fact you have updated your Airbox, you also updated your step motor as the old one does not fit.........This is why THE BASE SOFTWARE must be updated at the dealer!

This was a recall or Service Advisory and the BASE PLATFORM must be upgraded and is a DEALER ITEM ONLY. The Latest drivers or Software updates can be uploaded via a GS-911, but not THE BASE Platform.

I had tons of Fun explaining this to the folks here in Thailand. They didn't believe me, as not too many K-bikes were sold in Thailand as that period was Pre-Big Bike days.....
.......After getting the Tech Rep (in Germany) to contact them here, we finally got on the same page, and continued reading the next chapter!

Happy hunting !

Cuidate!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All!!!

First of all, let me introduce myself: I am Mauricio and I am the new owner (1 month) of a 2005 K1200s. This bike came after been riding a little Ninja 250r for 5 years so this is an amazing bike (at least for me)

I want to say thanks to everyone in this forum since all the info found here has been really helpful

The bike had some details that needed to be fixed and I am working in some of them.

So far, I have replaced brake pads, bleed rear brake, cleaned throttle bodies, fixed front shock wiring, fixed leaking fuel connector at tank, secured brake lines (ABS module has been removed), grips have been replaced.

Also tried airbox fettle to fix some high idle, stalls, erratic idle and it helped a lot but ended replacing the airbox with the improved version and all mu problems with idle are finally corrected.

I have a few questions hopefully some can help me with:

1. With the airbox upgrade it is suggested to do a software update... is this update something I can do with WinKFP??? is there any DIY for this???
2. The rear brake feels hard and lack of power.... Is this due to the ABS removal??? is there any way to give it more stopping power??

I will really appreciate any help to make my bike better.

Thanks in advance.
Put back the abs, you will feel a huge brake power😂
Why do you want tu upgrade the airbox???? 165Le is not enought???
The performance that the k1200s delivers to you is more than enought.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1300S Motorsport Edition
359 Posts
Why do you want tu upgrade the airbox???? 165Le is not enought???
The performance that the k1200s delivers to you is more than enought.
Replacing the air box has nothing to do generally with more power. It has to do with the staggering and stalling at idle.
BMW mostly fixed those quirks in the 07 and 08 models and virtually eliminated them on the K 1300 series.

·
Super Moderator
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,481 Posts
Here is the change information for the air box. stalling and high idle with slow to return were caused by air box warping and sticking idle air valves. The software up date was also needed to complete the process.
(I did not know you could do computer up grades via HexCode GS-911???
Font Parallel Paper Paper product Document

Font Material property Publication Paper Book

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am so sorry for not reading until now but I was on a work trip.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Unfortunately Cancun is really far away from me as I live in Mexico City but really close to my office is a Motorrad Dealer so I will take my bike and the bulletin there to see what they can do. ( I don’t know how this “recall” thing works here.

After the airbox change bike's behavior has improved a lot and, by now, the only thing a think need to be corrected is the Idle (1350rpm) that seems a little high to me.

Regarding the ABS it would be great to put it again but I don’t have it… previous owner removed it. Fortunately, it was done the right way since I don’t have any issue with brake lights, or ABS codes showing up.

As for the rear brake I got a F800 rear master cylinder and after modifying the push rod and bleeding the DOT4 LV fluid it is working much better. Now the rear wheel helps to stop the bike.

Once again THANK YOU ALL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts