BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with the iPhone 2.0 coming out next month with all it's capabilities and now GPS to boot, anyone ever mount one to the bars? Maybe a docking stations with a nice all-weather case? I figure with phone, songs and GPS, I'd be set using just the iPhone (oh yeah, Blackberry user now, been waiting for this new iPhone, I'm so getting one).

Holla back y'all

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Not sure I'll do that. Since the touch screen doesn't work with gloves, it's use on a motorcycle will be rather limited.

However, as a device that will allow me to leave the laptop at home, the iPhone is perfect. Not sure I'll upgrade to the 3G right away.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. So you've tried it with gloves and it doesn't work? I assume this is the case. Still....just maybe I can make it work.

Found my project for the summer.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
iflybricks said:
Good point. So you've tried it with gloves and it doesn't work? I assume this is the case. Still....just maybe I can make it work.

Found my project for the summer.
Nope, won't work with gloves.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will not be deterred! This will be my side project. Of coure I have a day job, wife, and we're moving soon, so don't expect any results..... but rest assured I'll be beating myself up over it at home. You can sleep easy tonight, I'm on it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My current iphone connects to my Zummo 550 via Bluetooth, it then operates to answer the phone thu the Zummo screen. I run XM in Zummo, which also has MP3 player. It is my understanding that this can all be synced up through a Nolan Helmet Com system through Bluetooth to the helmet. Haven't had a chance to check out more on the helmet. I can tell you it is sweet to be able to switch this set up between my GT and the car. When mounted in the car the Iphone is hands free through the Zummo's built in speaker and mic in the car mount.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am currently running Iphone blue tooth to zumo and using a HF820 on the autocom to enable talking. Zumo allows handling all phone related stuff, dial, answer, address book, grab a POI and call.

Phone last about 2 days on blue tooth enabled, HF820 last a little longer, I have a car charger for both that I can plug in while in tankbag.

Now if I could just hear, ha. May go to the earplugs type speakers in the future, but until then my wife can hear and help me out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
iflybricks said:
Nice! Will any Bluetooth work? I kinda like this one Bluetooth by BlueAnt . The reviews look promising, just haven't shelled out the $$ yet.
Funny you should ask, I have 2 blueant headsets for my wife and I when she rides her Ninja and I'm on the Versys. It pairs with the Iphone also, but unless you hookup the Zumo 550 there is no way to dial or answer the phone, takes all three to work best.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have my iPhone on the bike and I CAN use gloves with it. It ain't easy, but it does work.

Before you jump on the 3G iPhone bandwagon as far as GPS goes, you might want to check it out first. I heard the response is really slow. No way it's going to be as good as a true GPS.

·
Registered
118 Posts
dhanson said:
Funny you should ask, I have 2 blueant headsets for my wife and I when she rides her Ninja and I'm on the Versys. It pairs with the Iphone also, but unless you hookup the Zumo 550 there is no way to dial or answer the phone, takes all three to work best.
That's great, now we can get even with all those cage drivers we hate because they talk on the phone and drive!!!

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
dwsdad said:
Before you jump on the 3G iPhone bandwagon as far as GPS goes, you might want to check it out first. I heard the response is really slow. No way it's going to be as good as a true GPS.
Good point!

I don't know if the iPhone has maps on board or is capable of it. If not, and it relies on a nearby tower to acquire map data, then it would be useless out in the canyons or where there is no cell connection.

I know the AT&T Tilt can take an external map data card like the Garmin XT micro-SD card which allows it to operate as a regular GPS when away from a phone cell connection, but the Tilt would be useless on a bike as it needs a stylus to operate (i.e. not glove friendly at all). The Garmin XT data card is also a "locked, anti-piracy card" where it cannot be copied to another storage device in order to use it.

Problem with all of the phone units is they do not have the sensitivity of a good GPS stand-alone when in thick forest environments, buildings, or canyons.

Mack

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The use of the iPhones features and all of it's hype are going to be limited for a while. Mostly to you guys that never leave metro areas. Get out west and ride for a while and you'll probably find you iPhone is an expensive useless toy. Very limited 3G service, and very limited coverage for ATT. Unless of coarse you stick to slab and metro areas, in which case, what's the point?!

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

Stick to a Zumo and tunes. And for the life of me I can't figure out why any one wants to talk on the phone while riding their bike! As has been said here.....don't we all hate every cager with a phone stuck in their ear? The point of riding is individual freedom. We're supposed to be better drivers than most. In 5 years of so I can just see people having these Bluetooth devices implanted.....right now they walk around with their hoidy toidy look of importance.....hey, look at me, I got a toy stuck in my ear. Look like Spock for christs sake.

Pull over, stop the bike, get off, make a call. Or sell the bike. It's just not that important. Period.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree Robert, got the GPS for better screen and faster calculations. Got the iphone to hit internet without having to carry the laptop. That was the plan anyway, just hooked up the blue tooth stuff to see what if, don't run with it I must admit. But, it is sorta nice to be able to pull over for a rest stop and just turn on the phone (Zumo will pair automatically)and be able to communicate from bike looking at gps/ motel info.

Got the Blueant to counsel my wife (newbie rider) when manuvering or parking info before I pull in some where. They work intercom about 200 meters. Only mono tho. Still not sold on these mono deals, my left ear is the worst.

Turns out, after getting a new SLR digital camera, still will need the laptop to mess with the pictures and emailing them which is a PITA with the iphone.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah, talking on the phone ain't the greatest idea, but if you have it hooked up, you can at least see who's calling and if it's important (like work if you're oncall like I am), find a place to pull over and make a callback.

One other thing about the new iPhone: The data plan rates are going up to $30 instead of the $20, and it does NOT include text messaging. 200 texts will run you $5. The old plan includes 200 messages free. The old phones are available until 6/13. After that, you'll have to buy used. I work for AT&T, so the more you spend with us the better I like it, but you guys deserve to know the whole picture.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
dwsdad said:
............The data plan rates are going up to $30 instead of the $20, and it does NOT include text messaging. 200 texts will run you $5. The old plan includes 200 messages free. .......
Text messages.......I like, and use techno toys to a degree, and years ago worked with computers extensively.

But I just don't get it. Text messages. Why? How connected do we need to stay? How important is it really? 99.9% of it is just worthless dribble. How did we ever survive without this stuff? The entire younger generation doesn't even know a world without this stuff. If you're under 35 or 40 you've probably never even used a rotary phone!

So the wireless carriers pocket huge profits that mom and dad pay for while their kids melt their brains away.....but gas is too expensive! :rolleyes:

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Robert_W said:
The use of the iPhones features and all of it's hype are going to be limited for a while. Mostly to you guys that never leave metro areas. Get out west and ride for a while and you'll probably find you iPhone is an expensive useless toy. Very limited 3G service, and very limited coverage for ATT. Unless of coarse you stick to slab and metro areas, in which case, what's the point?!
In non 3G areas, you will still have edge. Amazing what places have EDGE coverage. Two examples. At Paonia for the Top of the Rockies Rally, I was able to diffuse a meltdown at work with a single email from my Kermit chair outside my tent. Next day, solve another meltdown with a single email from Gateway, CO (literally middle of nowhere). EDGE access, while slow works just fine when you are outside of 3G network coverage.

SIRF GPS chip with EDGE downloadable maps will be very convenient.

·
Registered
122 Posts
dhanson said:
The Blue Ant works with the MP3 player also?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts