·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Razel said:
Ken Meese leading the crowd this time. [url="http://www.ironbutt.com/IBR/2011.cfm']Linky[/url] to the daily updates on the IronButt site.
If you have problems with the above link, try this Linky instead. The updates aren't daily, but nearly so.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I see in today's report Ken forgot his rally flag at one point and had to turn around and go back to get it and lost 4 hours in the process. If he didn't retrieve it, it would be a loss of 150 points.

The FJR1300 board is abuzz about this rally as there are 17 FJR's in this rally and their FJR rider Dick Peet (in 2nd) is behind Meese in points: Yamaha FJR1300 Forum Some 57 pages of stuff there. I think they are rooting Peet for a win.

Aisde, seems to say something of the FJR1300 durability too. At least the BMW's aren't blowing chunks and finals as bad as in years past...yet. Never understood why the Gold Wing and Harley guys can't do a better showing or finish. Too much weight causes some fatigue maybe? I know one Honda rider who did some Iron Butt coast-to-coast thing (CA to FL and back) and he had a Gold Wind, but opted to take the ST1100 for some reason I never fully understood.

Mack

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Dang it. Spoke too soon.

Seems BMW is indeed blowing chunks in the IBR - yet again. Somewhere in Florida these popped up in Photobucket, and maybe even a chain-drive model too?

Famous final drive failure on an RT in Jacksonville, and maybe the yellow/white GS next to it too since the wheel and tire are sitting close so they aren't the issue?

Just when I thought that BMW blowing-up stuff was over. Fwiw, these are swipes off the FJR forum on the rally. They must be laughing their heads off over there. Meese better hold the lead for the sake of BMW.

Mack

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Found this. Probably from the FJR guys.

Super Meese prior to the IBR Start

Does sound a bit like him too. :rotf:

Sounds like one BMW entrant's fuel pump went south in Texas and he got a loaner to finish the event. Final drive leaking too. BMW needs to make a better showing in these events in reliability. No wonder there were so many FJR entries. Even the 'Lucas inspired' Triumph was still going. Two out of 3 Harley riders out too, but they just wimp out usually.

Mack

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yup, my motorcycles club treasurer, Wallace French, Yankee Beemers treasurer had his fuel pump fail in Texas and there is oil leaking out of the FD.

So far the YBs have had two entrants over the past few years and neither BMW has finished........Ugh!

Wallace got a loaner motorcycle with 130K miles on it, a 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD to finish the ride in style!

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Rbertalotto said:
Wallace got a loaner motorcycle with 130K miles on it, a 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD to finish the ride in style!
Man. If a 14 year old Kawi Vulcan with 130K miles on it can make it to the finish line where BMW can't, doesn't speak well for a BMW that can't complete a rally in 11,000 miles before it blows up. :(

Mack

·
Registered
166 Posts
I heard through rumor control the 2 side by side in the bottome picture is one in the rally had a drive shaft go bad so the other guy pulled up and swaped with him to get him back on the road. and the doner bike had to limp along home :dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Meese is out of the race and in surgery.

I see on the IBR site Meese had an accident on I-50 in Nevada and was air-transported to a Reno hospital for surgery. His wife is en route from Oxnard, CA. No other details were given.

God speed Meese. :(

Another is out due to a mountain lion strike in Arizona east of Kingman while riding a Gold Wing and was also air transported out.

Report is here: 2011 IBR Rally Report

Mack

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aw sheet ...

Ironbutt Update said:
2011 Iron Butt Rally, Day 11
Thursday, June 30, 2011

Meese is Out

After building up a commanding lead on the first two legs, Ken Meese is out of the rally.
On Thursday evening, shortly after I confirmed that his Spot track indicated he was on
schedule to make the finish, Ken was involved in an accident while heading west across
Nevada on The Loneliest Road in America: highway US 50. No details regarding the
circumstances associated with the accident are yet available.

Ken was transported from Austin, Nevada, by air to a hospital in Reno where he required
surgery to deal with internal injuries. Word we have is that he was alert upon arrival at
the hospital and that the surgery was successful. His wife is en route to Reno. Many
thanks to Nevadans Brian Roberts and Reno John Austin for providing on-site assistance.
Bummer, Ken. Heal well and soon.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
This link is from the LT boards has more info on his condition: Ken Meese' IBR accident update.

Seems they got worried when his SPOT Tracker wasn't moving and then showed a position in some commercial yard (junk yard maybe?) in Battle Mountain. Guess he got a ambulance ride to a helicopter drop-in spot and onto Reno. Sort of amazing he got help at the location he was at so fast on 50 which can be very, very barren.

No spleen, vent tube, busted fingers, broken ribs, still lucid - but what a ride!

Mack

·
Registered
76 Posts
Damzzz... So very close too! In spite of this very sad incident it's still an incredible feat.

Ken, may you have a speedy recovery. Positive thoughts being sent your way!

Respectfully,

Bruce

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Hope he finds a keyboard sometime soon and posts here what happened if he recalls it all. They say he stopped his SPOT Tracker for sometime before the accident, but he had slept before that so was rested (for him). Maybe mechanical issues? I thought maybe after dark and ran off the road or a varmint strike, but he runs a lot of lights and it wasn't yet dark (around 6:45PM I think) and in a very open desolate area.

Given that so many BMW's got DNF's (Did Not Finish) for their 'never-ending' final drive failures (15 years and counting! Come on BMW and fix the bloody issue!), fuel pump issues, etc. wonder if his didn't do the same and he suspected the thing had an issue and was trying to address it in that long stop? Reno has a dealer and it may have been his target. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Interesting that the Yamaha FJR1300 was well represented among the finishers and won the first place too. Honda's ST1300 had a good showing too. Neither of those two models got a DNF either, compared to 5 BMW's with DNFs. ALL the Harley guys (3) pooped out again. And the sole Triumph made it through the race too. Good show Yamaha and Honda - and Triumph too. :clap:

Mack

·
Registered
166 Posts
that is a little discouraging about the drives, I wonder if Ken had his extra one with him?

I was suprised at the number of 650's that placed,even a F650GS. Maybe I need to put a better seat on my thumper Dakar and :spank1: it for a 1K? :yeow:

maybe Ken can tell me how to set one up?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Holy sheite! Go away for a few days and miss all this. :wtf: :wtf:

Ken....dude....if you're reading this ....So sorry to hear it man. Sounds like you'll be OK but seriously.....get better. Best wishes thoughts and karma to you. Heal up man. Some day a Beemer guy needs to win this thing! :D

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Interesting in his wife's link above, they suspect some large animal ran into the side of the bike and that's what led to the accident. Maybe a coyote?

I hit a large dog (Lab size) in rural Nevada about his shoulder area and the impact spun him around and off the road but I kept moving other than the jolt. Luckily, I saw him run out once ahead of me and then run back due to oncoming traffic so I began braking just in case, but he ran out again and I tagged him. I pulled over and he ran across the road again and almost got hit by an RV. Bike was okay and the dog sore maybe.

Had a small deer run along side my RT once and was pushing me around. It finally ran off after cutting across my bow while I was braking.

They are out there to get you!

Mack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts