BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do a Saddle Sore 1000 in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if anyone out there has done one.

I've looked at the Iron Butt Assoc website, on their recommendations/advice, but would like some input from this site.

I have an 07 K12 with approx. 11K on the clock. I'm going to do the 12K service before going on the trip, but is there anything I need to pay particular attention to? Any advice?

Yes, I know I'm crazy. :teeth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
I would guess that Meese has done a few dozen, maybe even a hundred of them :))

I will let him chime in but lots of people have done them and Meese does them weekly I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
eaglefrq said:
.....I've looked at the Iron Butt Assoc website, on their recommendations/advice, but would like some input from this site.

I have an 07 K12 with approx. 11K on the clock. I'm going to do the 12K service before going on the trip, but is there anything I need to pay particular attention to? Any advice.......
Yup....carry an extra final drive, cam tensoiner, cam chain, sprocket, a few valves / seats / guides and shims, asst gaskets and seal....clutch pack / basket, towing rig with trailer and a full tool compliment. ...2 towing / emergency roadside assistance programs....extra water....and a few days extra vacation time.....etc etc....

You'll do just fine. :rotf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert_W said:
Yup....carry an extra final drive, cam tensoiner, cam chain, sprocket, a few valves / seats / guides and shims, asst gaskets and seal....clutch pack / basket, towing rig with trailer and a full tool compliment. ...2 towing / emergency roadside assistance programs....extra water....and a few days extra vacation time.....etc etc....

You'll do just fine. :rotf:
AWESOME! I thought I might need to trailer an extra bike or something. :rotf: I can fit all that stuff in my cases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
Nah....no need to tow another....you could go the chase vehicle route instead......pretty soon it'll be as common as it is with the rental HD crowd. I can see it now. Throngs of Euro visitors headed to the great American west to rent the BMW of their dreams. Death Valley.....Yosemite.....Grand Canyon.....Zion.....Glacier.....Yellowstone..... endless roads......followed by the entourage of chase vehicles......no wait.....that's what I used to see with other brands!

Sorry.....ummm .....just depends on how adventurous you want to get ! ;)
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Yeah, I've done a few of them . . . :tim

Basically, be prepared, have a good route chosen, watch for boredom and fatigue, and remember to have fun.

1,000 miles can be done in around 15 hours if you're very efficient and ride good, open roads. Add a few hours for slower roads, traffic, and more stops to stretch and relax. Holding a 60 mph average speed will get the job done in a little over 17 hours with fuel stops, and maybe 18 hours if you dawdle some or add extra stops. Easily doable by most folks if they set their minds to it.

Read through this thread for much more detailed advice. Then let us know if you have any more questions. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Looks like a decent route. Just make sure you get receipts at every "corner" point, to prove that you didn't take a diagonal shortcut road, or that you took a longer loop road around a city instead of going straight through. That would probably be Sandston (by the airport), Dortches, Greensboro, Clyde, Dandridge/White Pine, and Strasburg. Those don't have to be fuel (food or an ATM counts), but they do help prove that you rode the entire route as submitted.

Also, while it may be convenient to start from home, that isn't strictly necessary. Nor is it necessary to start and end in the same place. You could ride straight to the interstate, get a good receipt there, and use that as your official starting time. Then make your loop and stop again wherever it's convenient to get an ending receipt. That might save you from getting start/ending receipts in King George, then also getting corner receipts in Falmouth and Ruther Glen to prove that little detour.

As for your riding buddy, sometimes it does help to share this type of ride with a friend. But make sure that you're in synch here. Verify what is a comfortable fuel range, and what is expected at stops. It can be rather frustrating if you're fueled up and ready to go, and he's lighting his third cigarette . . .

Also, have a plan in case someone breaks down or just gets tired and wants to drop out. Do you stick with your buddy and scrap the ride, or do you agree to split up and head out separately (assuming that everyone is safe and not stranded, that is). Either way works, just make sure you discuss it beforehand so there's no confusion.

Other than that, have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meese said:
Looks like a decent route. Just make sure you get receipts at every "corner" point, to prove that you didn't take a diagonal shortcut road, or that you took a longer loop road around a city instead of going straight through. That would probably be Sandston (by the airport), Dortches, Greensboro, Clyde, Dandridge/White Pine, and Strasburg. Those don't have to be fuel (food or an ATM counts), but they do help prove that you rode the entire route as submitted.

Also, while it may be convenient to start from home, that isn't strictly necessary. Nor is it necessary to start and end in the same place. You could ride straight to the interstate, get a good receipt there, and use that as your official starting time. Then make your loop and stop again wherever it's convenient to get an ending receipt. That might save you from getting start/ending receipts in King George, then also getting corner receipts in Falmouth and Ruther Glen to prove that little detour.

As for your riding buddy, sometimes it does help to share this type of ride with a friend. But make sure that you're in synch here. Verify what is a comfortable fuel range, and what is expected at stops. It can be rather frustrating if you're fueled up and ready to go, and he's lighting his third cigarette . . .

Also, have a plan in case someone breaks down or just gets tired and wants to drop out. Do you stick with your buddy and scrap the ride, or do you agree to split up and head out separately (assuming that everyone is safe and not stranded, that is). Either way works, just make sure you discuss it beforehand so there's no confusion.

Other than that, have fun!
Thanks again for the advice. We are starting in King George, because that is about equal distance between his house and mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
When we did our SS1000, I rode about 1080 miles to make sure I had plenty of miles. We made sure we stopped for about 10 minutes every 150 miles or so. We had a group of 4 bikes total. It was manageable, but we did end up splitting at the final stop as one person needed a little longer break and stopped for a full meal.

If I was going to do it again, I'd make a second plan to ride the extra 500 (0r 420 in my case) miles after sleeping to get the 1500 too.

I think the weather is most important. Check the forecast, and if it doesn't look good, I'd re-think the run. While 1000 miles isn't bad, 1000 miles in rain/wind sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
I'm planning a Butter Butt 100.

The objective is to see how FEW miles I can go in a 24 hour period.

Bonus points are awarded for: how many pics I take (double points for videos), how many people I talk to for more than 1 minute, how many meals I eat in Non-Fast-Food places, number of non-chain motels or campgrounds I stay in and number of two lane roads used.

Points are deducted for miles completed on Interstate Highway System, exceeding speed limit, eating while standing in a gas station convenience store.

My Mileage Will Vary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kbach said:
When we did our SS1000, I rode about 1080 miles to make sure I had plenty of miles. We made sure we stopped for about 10 minutes every 150 miles or so. We had a group of 4 bikes total. It was manageable, but we did end up splitting at the final stop as one person needed a little longer break and stopped for a full meal.

If I was going to do it again, I'd make a second plan to ride the extra 500 (0r 420 in my case) miles after sleeping to get the 1500 too.

I think the weather is most important. Check the forecast, and if it doesn't look good, I'd re-think the run. While 1000 miles isn't bad, 1000 miles in rain/wind sucks.
I'm definitely watching the weather. I'm looking forward to this, but I will admit I am a little nervous also.

I'm using the tips I've gotten so far and I'm going to make a list of things to talk with the other rider about so we make sure we're on the same page when it comes to breaks, food, etc...

Again, I appreciate all the advice I've gotten so far and I'm sure I will be asking more as the time approaches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Dude, I'm proud of ya"

Robert_W said:
Yup....carry an extra final drive, cam tensoiner, cam chain, sprocket, a few valves / seats / guides and shims, asst gaskets and seal....clutch pack / basket, towing rig with trailer and a full tool compliment. ...2 towing / emergency roadside assistance programs....extra water....and a few days extra vacation time.....etc etc....

You'll do just fine. :rotf:
I think this is the BEST example of a man who knows how to get over it and get back on w/his life....CONGRATS ROBERT, GOOD ON YA'... Keep that sense of humor, life is full of pain and you're gonna be fine if you keep gettin' back in the saddle with a smile and an attitude of "I spit in your eye cuz' I'm still gonna enjoy it!" :beer: :ninja
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
Actually Doc I'm glad that you recognize that I'm just bustin chops and not to be taken too seriously. But yeah, get on the bike and ride cause it ain't going to do me any good sitting in my garage.

As for the IB thing. I still don't get it other than a badge of honor I guess. I've done 2 days in my life over 1000 miles. One at about 1250. I was freaking miserable. I do however routinely cover 500 mile plus days.And make many thousands of mile road trips. Biggest thing for me besides bike prep and everything else mentioned is hydration and breaks. Keep hydrated even if you don't want to stop and piss. Make your self do it. It will keep you fresher 6 or 700 miles into it. And if you find your self too sore / tired or starting to make silly mistakes stop and bag it. Not worth it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
One item that has not been mentioned is a SPOT satellite tracker. You won't need one on this ride, because you will be within cell range and will be traveling with a friend.

Still, a SPOT can be fun for your family and friends to track your ride using their web browsers. They are not cheap - the annual subscription is where they get you. They are nice to have, for many reasons. http://www.findmespot.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After looking at the suggestions and reading the IBA website again, I've changed the route. It looks like it will be easier for the documentation side.

SS1000 route

I would appreciate any inputs or comments.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Looks good.

But you'd have to get a receipt in Fredricksburg, so you can just as easily use that as your start/end point, and avoid the smaller roads while on the clock. It's probably not critical in terms of overall time, but it does avoid the possible "shortcut" through Bowling Green.

I'd also suggest getting fuel or another type of receipt near Glen Allen and also Staunton, to "prove" those corners. The rest of your rout is very straightforward, so normal gas receipts along the way should be just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Meese said:
Looks good.

But you'd have to get a receipt in Fredricksburg, so you can just as easily use that as your start/end point, and avoid the smaller roads while on the clock. It's probably not critical in terms of overall time, but it does avoid the possible "shortcut" through Bowling Green.

I'd also suggest getting fuel or another type of receipt near Glen Allen and also Staunton, to "prove" those corners. The rest of your rout is very straightforward, so normal gas receipts along the way should be just fine.
Thanx for all your help with this. I selected King George because that's the halfway point between houses. I actually backtrack 10 miles and the other guy has about a 15 mile ride to that point. If we start in Fredericksburg, it will be an additional 30 miles for my riding partner. I will talk with him tomorrow and see what he wants to do.

I also appreciate the suggestions on Glenn Allen and Staunton.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
What's an extra 15-30 miles when you're heading out for a thousand? :D

I just know it's easier to just get on the interstate and then go. Maybe there's a different interstate town you could meet at?

Also, you have to look out for "shortcut" roads and make sure you get receipts to prove that you went the long way.

The IBA is pretty good about their mileage checking process. But the easier you can make it on yourself and on them, the better.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top