BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A complete K bike newbie, I have had just about everything else (mainly R bikes) and now have my first K (a 2006 K1200GT which I love).

My question relates to the K1 from 1988-1993. I found one for sale, understand that it is not too fast (100 hp) but fast enough, has fragile (and slightly odd looking) bodywork, a long turning radius and puts out lots of heat. Is it worth buying one? Any fun to ride? Somewhat comfortable? In Germany they are selling for under $5k, this one has 10,000 km and is a little cheaper than that. It might look nice and weird next to my Bimota Mantra.

Is there anything special about a K1?

·
Registered
12 Posts
K1 will be a classic

I think the K1 has gone through its undesirable stage in the last 10 - 15 years.
They are getting harder to find in good original condition and the cheap ones are rough but still some collectability in them in the next 5 years or so.
Suggestion would be to get one absolutely original with low-med miles on it and hold on to it.
It is that ugly that it will be good looking again in a retro way very soon.
Actually I think the K1200GT new shape is looking like it has a family resemblance. That front fender on the K1 was a piece of design to behold!!
IMHO of course

·
Registered
486 Posts
Johnmh said:
...a long turning radius and puts out lots of heat....
No it does not have a long turning radius and no it does not put out a lot of heat.

It is an unusual BMW for the times. It was BMW's first attempt at a sport bike appearance. If I had the room in the garage, I buy one immediately.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
They're great if all you need to carry is a spare pair of gloves and a can of beer.

The front fender will crack if it hasn't already.

They do have a wider turning radius than a K100RS4V. I used to think otherwise but now know better.

I refer to them as K9s since they're so ugly.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mudbug said:
No it does not have a long turning radius and no it does not put out a lot of heat.

It is an unusual BMW for the times. It was BMW's first attempt at a sport bike appearance. If I had the room in the garage, I buy one immediately.
O' contraire mon amie. (something like that). This topic was discussed and researched several years ago here. The K1 did have a slightly longer wheelbase (not the same as the same year k)-but just slightly. Also, due to the body work, it did hold more motor heat when driving round town. It was designed-nicely for the times-for Autobahn blasting. It also had really small built-in panners. It is an oddball-but i think cool looking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Brune K1

I"ll quote from MW Motorcycle magazine issue #2 from 2008, "The K1 was a sales flop, ridiculed for it's garish colors and FUTURISTIC looks. But that didn't stop Manfred Bruno from creating a sports bike from one that you have to take seriously."
It's a great article on the K1 in a really good mag that comes out only twice a year.
His featured bike is the red/yellow color scheme comparing a stock K1 to Brunes K1, side by side.
His Tech Spec's have his bikes costing about $23K, wso make sure you get the stock K1 for as cheap as possible!
www.brunegmbh.de
He's in Germany, but has frame kits and everything you need to build your own Brune special!
You never know!

·
Registered
486 Posts
pmorritt said:
O' contraire mon amie. (something like that). This topic was discussed and researched several years ago here. The K1 did have a slightly longer wheelbase (not the same as the same year k)-but just slightly. Also, due to the body work, it did hold more motor heat when driving round town. It was designed-nicely for the times-for Autobahn blasting. It also had really small built-in panners. It is an oddball-but i think cool looking.
Au contraire mon ami :)

The wheel base of the K1 and my 1991 K100RS are the same, 1565 mm. They use the same frame. The body panels and handle bars are different.

I have heard others complain about heat from the K100RS, but I have never experienced it myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ScottyMac said:
Plus, if it is a red and yellow model, you can tell everyone it used to be owned by Ronald McDonald!
Sadly, it is.

Asking $5000, with 6000 miles. I do not need it, but it is so weird.

I thought that there might be a best kept secret about these things. Maybe not.

·
Registered
1976 R75/6-1983 R80RT-1986 R80RT-1990 K1 ABS-2009 K1300GT
19 Posts
A complete K bike newbie, I have had just about everything else (mainly R bikes) and now have my first K (a 2006 K1200GT which I love).

My question relates to the K1 from 1988-1993. I found one for sale, understand that it is not too fast (100 hp) but fast enough, has fragile (and slightly odd looking) bodywork, a long turning radius and puts out lots of heat. Is it worth buying one? Any fun to ride? Somewhat comfortable? In Germany they are selling for under $5k, this one has 10,000 km and is a little cheaper than that. It might look nice and weird next to my Bimota Mantra.

Is there anything special about a K1?
Per Mudbug statement, I myself feel quite lucky... Per Johnmh, oh yeah special imho
When it first came to North America, I desired it so much that I took on a part time job and dumped all pay cheques into a funnymoneyonanysunday savings account to eventually buy one. It took until 2005 to find the one. I bought it in Dec 2006 in Oxnard California. Took the redeye from Toronto Canada to LA on a Sunday night and by that Friday drove it home just in time for Christmas dinner with my folks. I delayed purchase because of the ketchup/mustard and black foot peg support arms. Just wanted something more agreeable in the visually aesthetic department.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts