BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Arkansas, and I'm riding to Orlando next week for a 3-day convention, then down to Pompano Beach to see a bud's new boat and spend a day with him on the Atlantic. I'd like to say I've been to the Southernmost Point - are the extra miles worth it, or will the traffic suck from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West and back?

·
Registered
351 Posts
This time of year the traffic should not be too bad, but there will be plenty of traffic, just fewer blue hairs driving the big boats on the road.

·
Registered
346 Posts
key west

Let me know what you think after your trip. My plan is end of May to ride from Portland,Or. to The Keyes. Plan to take 3 weeks to get er done.
It's one way to remain sane while the weather outside sucks the life out of me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's worth thr trip - once you get past Miami (I would recommend the turnpike to avoid I-95 congestion), the world changes. Go all the way to Key West, stop at some of the causeways along the way, it's a great place to chill out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Looks like it would just be a day trip.... I would give it a shot!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Driving the keys is often very, very slow. If you go during the week it will be a bit better. It's mostly single lane and not a ton of passing opportunities. Lots of black and tans (troopers) ensuring that tourists pay the extra taxes available.

Stop for conch fritters, snorkelling and great drinks all the way down.

Best,

Gravity

·
Registered
436 Posts
Are the miles to Key West worth it?

In a word NO! Very slow going most of the way and that's assuming you don't get behind a slow moving vehicle.
I did it when I did the 4CORNERS but that's the only reason to do it. I lived in Jacksonville, FL and did training with Seal Tem shh! out of Key West AOR. Great winter weather but that's about it. Highest point is the garbage dump.
However if you're into diving, the old sub channels are worth it. And fresh fish.
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you can get past the I want to be there now! feeling, it's a great destination. Go do the tourist bars on Duval, and then find the Green Parrot, chill out and feel the place. I had a great time floating around on a bicycle. I forgot where I left it a few times, but that's why I went to KW.

A friend of mine plays at the BareBottom Beach Club, find when Randy from Montreal is playing and drink a little rum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Depends on the purpose of the trip. If you want to test the capabilities of you and your bike by riding hard on some challenging roads...the answer is no. If you want to take a leasurely trip, enjoy some spectacular ocean scenery, great weather (almost all the time) and then spend a day/night in one of the most fun party towns in the country, then definitely go for it. You'll probably regret not being able to stay longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts