BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike stumbles at low RPMs. I've never noticed it since I keep the engine speed high during normal riding; it doesn't like to be shifted early.

So here's a question. With the clutch pulled in, can you gently rev the engin to 2k and hold it there? My bike won't. After 3-4 seconds, it begins to stumble and then the RPM drops to 1k. Almost sounds like it's mis-firing at that point. Runs like a jet airliner on the road; no issues.

I've noticed this lately since I'm on work travel at an aerospace site with a 15mph speed limit and zealous enforcement agents. My K1200 really doesn't like parade speeds.

What'cha think? Any worries?

·
Addict-oholic
1,423 Posts
What model year? There have been some similar isues with the various models .On my 06Gt, I had the hesitation and stumbling at low speeds like you describe. Software fixed this. Onmy 2009Gt, I had dyingon deceleration. Software fixed this. Also run some techron through the gas to help clean out the throttle body plates.
In the 2006/2007, new airboxes seemed to be the culprit.
Check with your dealer, if they have not done the upgrades yet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on 07. When I bought it (Oct, 07), the dealer (San Jose BMW) said it had the new airbox. Don't really know, though. My understanding on the airbox was throttle hanging high at high temperatures. I've never experienced that. Somewhere on this site I think I posted my ECU firmware version some years back. Can't remember it, though.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Well mine ain't really happy at parade speeds either. Call me nuts, been when it's been designed to run all day at triple digits without complaining, you can excuse it a little for not happily loping along at 10 mph. That's the way I look at it. At lower speeds I run in 1st or second and it does better. Yeah mine bucks a little in town in 3rd or higher, and I have found I need to hang on to a gear a little longer, like what you are saying, before upshifting, as well.
Gilly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts