BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So many talk, so many idea, so many suggestions from the fans and BMW came out with this new GT.
Well i do not know about you all but i am so happy they put the bike for show. they could not do any better job to show how ugly this bike is with that color. come on who will buy this color, it may be look good on the car but not on this bike for sure.
I have a 04 k1200 GT RED and i know BMW made only 100 of them, i love the color and the power of the GT, i am so glad to see bike in person because i was in market to get the new GT. when i saw the picture of new GT before the show, i did like it but after today, i thank BMW for saving my money.
This is a rush job and they will have a hard time to sell this bike around $21000 out the door. so simple and looks like they took the old bike, repaint and add bigger light.
Again this is just me but when i looked at the people @ the show i knew it that i am not the only one to feel that way.
But in other hand i loved the poice bike, looks great and so cool. i wish they would sale that to me and i would pay cash right there.
Marry Christmas to all of you

·
Registered
290 Posts
simply said:
So many talk, so many idea, so many suggestions from the fans and BMW came out with this new GT.
Well i do not know about you all but i am so happy they put the bike for show. they could not do any better job to show how ugly this bike is with that color. come on who will buy this color, it may be look good on the car but not on this bike for sure.
I have a 04 k1200 GT RED ....
I'm sure these sort of posts cause a great big yawn at BMW. People who bought the old GT because of its fluid lines, are not going to be interested in the new one.

So what? BMW is not likely expecting people who recently bought the old GT, will be trading it in for the new one anyway. They are after new customers. Given that my local dealer is already pre-sold out of the new GTs for March-April delivery, it appears that SOMEONE thinks the bike is pretty good.

Bob.

·
Registered
504 Posts
RFWILSON said:
I'm sure these sort of posts cause a great big yawn at BMW. People who bought the old GT because of its fluid lines, are not going to be interested in the new one.

So what? BMW is not likely expecting people who recently bought the old GT, will be trading it in for the new one anyway. They are after new customers. Given that my local dealer is already pre-sold out of the new GTs for March-April delivery, it appears that SOMEONE thinks the bike is pretty good.

Bob.
The question is, how many have they "pre-sold"? I don't think they'll sell many...just as they didn't sell many of the current generation. Why? Not because they aren't good bikes but they are damn expensive! With a list price (current gen and 06) of $25K + options + 14% taxes (in Canada) and you are looking at around $30,000. That's more then most people want to pay (or can afford to pay) for a motorcycle...old GT, new GT, or whatever.

·
Registered
504 Posts
sincGT said:
… and you are looking at around $30,000. That's more then most people want to pay (or can afford to pay) for a motorcycle...old GT, new GT, or whatever.
That OTHER motorcycle company (HD) is selling a lot of motorcycles whose FINAL tally exceeds your figure when all the aftermarket chrome and leather goodies are added to the cost… so $30K is not all that excessive. Realistically, 20K (30K C$) is not that high a price, considering what you're getting for that "investment" as compared to that other brand.
Just my 2 pence.

·
Registered
478 Posts
50/50.....

RFWILSON said:

Bob.
Bob,

Not sure if what you're saying is based upon any kind of fact or not. If you read my post (http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1583) that contains a Product Bulletin from BMW for the new K1200GT you will find the following:

Section 2: Target groups
"Half of the future K 1200 GT riders are already loyal customers of our brand - primarily riders of the K 1100 LT, K 1200 RS, R 1150 RS and GT predecessors.

Our greatest challenge will be winning over the other fifty percent directly from other brands and models (mainly the FJR 1300 A). These new K 1200 GT customers are riders searching for a superior, comfortable, and dynamic experience."

I would say they really need to pay attention to what current owners are saying - if they are intending (by actual published reports) to target this bikes 50% towards current owners and 50% towards "other bike" owners......

alow

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
RFWILSON said:
.......... They are after new customers.
Since BMW removes more and more sport-tourig features with ever model, they better be after new customers. It's for sure they stand to loose a few existng ones. My 1985 K100RS weighed less than the new S, had underseat storage, TWO full bags, a tail rack, and great looks. My '94 K1100RS had all that and got 51 mpg !

Given that my local dealer is already pre-sold out of the new GTs for March-April delivery, it appears that SOMEONE thinks the bike is pretty good.
:sleep: BMW can sell 5,000 to 6,000 of anything as long as the roundel shows. K1 anyone?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow, Some serious heated debate here...

Speaking as a current '02 RS owner, and as one of those that has already Pre-booked his 06'GT (First one in Town, I'm led to believe).. I think the Bike is Great!

Sure, the colour's not perfect.... but then those that have seen it agree it looks much better in person than in photos.... but the Blue looks peachy to me! :)

BMW has never shown it's full hand in one go.... it always ugly-downs the preliminary models, then gives them a face-lift during production cycle to spice it up again...

My bike has just hit the 40k mark, and is almost ready to move on to greener pastures. As far as I can tell so far, the new GT is better in all the repects I'm looking for...

Clearly, the proof will be in the riding... until then the conjecture will continue - just as Heated I presume...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I posted this somewhere else, recently.

At the local HD dealer: Screaming Eagle ElectraGlide (103 cu in), factory blinged with enough chrome to keep you busy polishing all week long, $33,000 plus tax, tag, title. These bikes usually sell almost immediately and rarely last more than a week! Legacy technology, oh, and a radio/CD player included.

$21,000 plus/minus for a bike GT's caliber is still a bargain! Being a new rider since Jun '03 doesn't give me much of a perspective of yesteryear but someone on one of the BMW sites quoted: "...the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle is often the rider."

·
Registered
290 Posts
alowishus said:
I would say they really need to pay attention to what current owners are saying - if they are intending (by actual published reports) to target this bikes 50% towards current owners and 50% towards "other bike" owners......

alow
I agree in essence with what you are saying, but I think that the reaction of present GT owners is not a good gauge of whether that market segment (at some point down the road) would buy the new GT.

After all, as Miles clearly showed, the reaction to the old GT when it came out was nearly as negative as it is to the present GT! Yet now, the present GT is being held up as a paragon of beauty (which is is, in fact).

What it comes down to, I think, is that people don't like change, but they eventially warm up to it given time.

Bob.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The more interesting aspect of these posts is that unless I have missed this, no one has ridden the GT. How it performs in its intended market will play a big part of the decision-making process as to whether to own one or not. As the owner of a K12S and a KLT I am excited at the prospects of better wind management, less heft, and some of the amenities of the LT e.g. electronic cruise. And while styling is important (I like it BTW), if the old I-BMW.COM posts were available (maybe they are, don't feel like looking), the K12S was not loved by all at first, either.

And Bob, not meaning to taunt you on this one, but if we are buying on looks alone, take the Sig Sauer 220 (or any of the Sigs), the H & K USP's, and the Glocks and pit them against the venerable and revered 1911 and most collectors would say (mostly the Glock) that they have seen better looking water pistols when compared to the 1911. But functionally, these are superb handguns!

Let's see how the GT's function as a motorcycle. I best remember that design considerations typically went away once you rode it (K12S)! (of course other issues arose, but that's another story)

·
Registered
409 Posts
jpalamaro said:
I posted this somewhere else, recently.

At the local HD dealer: Screaming Eagle ElectraGlide (103 cu in), factory blinged with enough chrome to keep you busy polishing all week long, $33,000 plus tax, tag, title. These bikes usually sell almost immediately and rarely last more than a week! Legacy technology, oh, and a radio/CD player included.

$21,000 plus/minus for a bike GT's caliber is still a bargain! Being a new rider since Jun '03 doesn't give me much of a perspective of yesteryear but someone on one of the BMW sites quoted: "...the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle is often the rider."
H-D will sell like 300,000 units worldwide this year. I think the concept that $20K is too much (for a manufacturer like BMW) is erroneous. They sell a relative small number of bikes to enthusiasts who are willing to pay extra for an exclusive machine (and nameplate).

I won't go as far as calling it a "bargain" but I think they want to see how much the market will bear----these companies are not about leaving money on the table.

Also, to those of you K-brick riders (I was one for many years), I owned a K1200S with the new in-line 4 and the powertrain on the new K1200GT will be outstanding----and worth the $$.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wonder if I saw your previous K1200S yesterday, Was it the bumblebee version? The one I saw in San Francisco had Colorado vanity plates on it. Part of the plate was COL.

·
Registered
134 Posts
RFWILSON said:

Bob.

Y'know, I just laugh when people talk about how great the styling was on the old GT.

Sorry, I have a RS. The GT is just my RS with some bolted on plastics for the most part. I can replicate the whole thing easily. So I guess if the bolt on idea that was played out in the 70s to make bikes into tourers is fluid... well time to flush.

The new GT is many times better looking than the new RT.

My only concern will be, which dealer will have the best price.

·
Registered
504 Posts
ChrisH said:
Y'know, I just laugh when people talk about how great the styling was on the old GT.

Sorry, I have a RS. The GT is just my RS with some bolted on plastics for the most part. I can replicate the whole thing easily. So I guess if the bolt on idea that was played out in the 70s to make bikes into tourers is fluid... well time to flush.
So what's your point...I don't think BMW ever tried to market the GT as anything other than a RS with hand fairings, a taller screen, extra wind protection for the legs along with some options that could also be acquired for the RS. The RS is a great looking bike and so is the GT. As an aside, the GT has a heated seat (and ambient temp gauge in 05) which you would not be able to "replicate easily" on the RS.

·
Registered
504 Posts
mintaka said:
That OTHER motorcycle company (HD) is selling a lot of motorcycles whose FINAL tally exceeds your figure when all the aftermarket chrome and leather goodies are added to the cost… so $30K is not all that excessive. Realistically, 20K (30K C$) is not that high a price, considering what you're getting for that "investment" as compared to that other brand.
Just my 2 pence.
Well let's get the numbers right to start with...a new GT in US$ is going to be more then $20K...more like $21.5K, then, once you add in options and taxes, you are probably getting close to $25K. Maybe people in the US think that's a reasonable price for a motorcycle.

Up here in British Columbia, I can tell you that close to $30,000 is a ton of money for a motorcycle. They will not sell many bikes at that price regardless of the nameplate or anything else. They don't sell many $30K Harleys either. People just don't have the disposable income.

I have only seen a half dozen other K bikes in town since I bought my GT last April. I do see a ton of Japanese bikes that can be purchased new for $15K or less. You can buy a brand new Honda VFR for $13.6K. Or perhaps a Kawi Concours for $12.3K. Not a GT, but a capable bike and more what people can afford.

Talk on the Net is cheap but one only has to look around to see that not many people are buying new GTs, or new BMWs of any sort. They are just too expensive. People are already saddled with huge mortgages, (the average house price is $472,000 http://www.vreb.org/statistics_current.html), gas prices of over $4.00 per Canadian gallon, and all the other bills that come with everyday living.

The local BMW dealer will not sell many $30,000 GTs. He didn't sell many $25,000 GTs either.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
gt bash or not

I have to agree with SincGT, the price is prohibitive, the old ones did not sell out they were pulled, the new ones sold well for the limited availability. The new GT may sell to the LT crowd and a smaller percentage of the GT crowd. Its just and S detuned with big fairings and larger gas tank. not a radical departure. To much of an LT for my taste. That said I hope future renditions of the S include a non-detuned engine with the larger tank and better removable bags (aftermarket acceptable) that may be something for me to consider. Otherwise there is a plethora of offerings out there becoming better every day. In its current form and price the BMW will sell some of the new K's because of the Marque and heritage, but when it's proven to be an bavarian version of the Jap bike in BMW clothing the opposed two will be all they will make.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I also agree with SincGT.When my wife stsrted ridding her RTand I went to trade my LT the RS is what I wanted.We do tour most if not all of our vacation time and many weekends.For me to do this on an RS I would have wanted system cases and comfort seat at least.This is why I went with the GT,it already had those extras and more for me to tour on at a cost much less than buying the RS and adding them.I have never been uncomfortable on the GT.I wasn't wanting an RT with a brick motor.I was wanting an RS I could travel on and this is what made the GT a good purchase for me.The motor,the style,and the comfort without spending a fortune for addons.

·
Registered
531 Posts
if BMW is targeting the FJR crowd i think sticker shock will keep them on their yamaha's. while 21 grand might be a good deal on a BMW many people will look at 12000 for the FJR or 21000 for the GT and figure the BMW is not worth twice the price of the yamaha. i'm certain bmw will hit close to their target of 50% BMW riders but i have my doubts about pulling riders off their honda's and yamaha bikes.

as for styling i think the GT looks OK but no where near as good as the old GT but better looking than the competition. i'm planning on buying the "S" when i get home and while i think the "S" looks OK and no where near as good as my RS i'm buying the "S" strictly because of increased performance.

with that said ride safe and Merry Christmas to all

1 - 20 of 35 Posts