BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have experience with BMW's SPORT WINDSHIELD
(71-60-7-666-718)?

I am looking for a shorter screen than stock to minimize the turbulence. The noise of the stock unit is just too much for my earplugs to overcome.

Did I mention this is for an '03 K1200RS? No? Well I have now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What is best for you.

dreamorreality said:
Anyone have experience with BMW's SPORT WINDSHIELD
(71-60-7-666-718)?

I am looking for a shorter screen than stock to minimize the turbulence. The noise of the stock unit is just too much for my earplugs to overcome.

Did I mention this is for an '03 K1200RS? No? Well I have now.
The problem with asking about this is that the answer is completely subjective. It depends on the height of the torso. Where this places your helmet in the windflow varies greatly between riders. Two riders of the same height might vary widely in the distance from the seat to the crown of the helmet. Others can give you their own experience, but your results could vary greatly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang! That sure is the truth. I suppose I will just have to buy the durn thing and try it out.

A good number of folk seem to think the "double bubble" windscreen shape has got some aerodynamic advantage and I was hoping to get some feedback or comparisons of the "double bubbles" with the short Sport BMW screen.

Specifically, is the short BMW Sport screen as turbulent as the standard screen (although at a different height)? Is it just a "looks" screen rather than a "works"?

And I guess I can answer that myself. It is just a cut down standard screen. The standard screen causes turbulence. Oh well.

So, hasn't anybody put a BMW Sport screen on their RS?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have the BMW sport screen. It is tinted and is the same specs as stock. It is NOT lower.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Windscreen Comparison?

FrisbeeTiger said:
See my photo section for the Ztechnik screen available from any BMW dealer
From the photos it appears that you have used both the sport screen and the Z-tech.

What is the difference in protection, turbulence, noise??

Also, what type of plate is your Givi on??

I bought one from Givi that bolts to the RS tail rack.

Thanks in advance,

Larry Lancaster

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well that is news. The tint is the difference not the dimensions?

I noticed different part numbers for the late model windshields.
46-637-653-382 Clear windshield
46-637-663-115 High windshield

First edit:
Not to be argumentative but that seems to indicate a difference in height. I will quiz my local BMW dealer on this.

Second edit:
The parts man at the dealer aswered the quiz - the difference is the tint otherwise the Sport shield is dimensionally identical.

So ZTechnik is it for shorter screens. I think?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I own both a stock RS windshield and the Sport windshield -- only difference with the Sport is that it is tinted.

Isn't the stock *GT* windshield a bit larger than the stock RS? I think that might be the confusion.

(Since I don't use my stock RS windshield I'd be happy to sell mine to you ... $125 and I'll include the shipping.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the stock RS tinted screen, which I believe is the same as the sport screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Why don't you pop off the stock shield and run the bike around for a while and see if the result is going in the direction you are looking for?
You might save some money if a lot of the wind noise is from the helmet.
Bruce C

·
Registered
111 Posts
I run the stock screen with a Laminar Lip...made all the difference in the world. 6' with 32" inseam, bar backs, and 2002 pegs on the 98 Taxi makes for some easy cruisin...
JMc

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
brucecha said:
Why don't you pop off the stock shield and run the bike around for a while and see if the result is going in the direction you are looking for?
You might save some money if a lot of the wind noise is from the helmet.
Bruce C
Good idea! Cheap and the results should be obvious. Will do this weekend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have cut a stock windshield down by 5 in. so that it is even with the top of the GT hand protectors. The buffeting has moved from the faceshield down to the top of my chest. For summer riding it works fine. I have even taked long trips and have found that the wind pressure is not a problem. An additional benefit is that you can not hear the normal engine/trans noise once you are rolling. I did get caught on a 42 degree day in the Michigan UP and wished that I had my taller windshield. I bought a used windshield for $20 and cut it myself. Give it a try, you may like it

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cutting down a used windscreen is a good idea.

I have begun aerodynamics testing on turbulence generation from molded lucite at velocities from 30 to 100 mph. I am using digital test equipment that can be easily relocated to gather data instantly and transfer it to a central processing unit for immediate analysis. The sensor is mounted on a four axis arm to allow quick adjustment of position. I move my hand around and feel where the air is still or buffeting.
Since we have adjustable seats and bars I will test different ride positions. So far it seems that I just need to get my helmet lower and farther forward or higher and farther forward. Just not where it is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts