BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my R next weekend...wondering if I should spring for the luggage. It's pretty slick and will even accommodate my size XL helmet when expanded (tho it looks a bit goofy...the bag is so wide).

I like the idea of being able to pull in to a stop and not having to worry about my stuff (since I can lock it on the bike). On the other hand, other a couple of times a year when I'm travelling I doubt I'd have them on. I just use a "Joe Rocket" tail bag for my commute.

In addition I have a set of Oxford saddlebags I bought a few years ago.

And...the bags are expensive! $1200 Cdn.

·
Registered
629 Posts
It is to me. I run around without them for most of the time. But on my recent 1100 mile trip, They were welcome. Had 3 days worth of clothes in one bag, rain gear plus essentials in the other. Also have the tail bag (spare helmet or other stuff) and tank bag (keep my iPod, Baehr Verso XL intercom and 2-way radio in it).

·
Registered
531 Posts
1200 bucks seems pretty steep for bags and before i coughed that kind of money up i'd see if the dealer would give me a discount or throw them in for free. the dealer in my area gave a guy a free set of bags on the r1200gs providing he paid msrp for the bike. i'm not sure if that was a good deal or not but at least he was happy with the deal.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Of course, you could always order them from a close by USA dealer and take a trip across the border, make a tour of it, pick up/attach the bags and head home eventually. I think my bags were only $650 US with hardware. FYI...not that I would ever do something like THAT
Pete

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dealer discounted bags

When I purchased my K12S the dealer discounted the bags about 20% so they were less than $600 U.S. If you ever need to carry more stuff than normal, these are really slick, have carry handles for off bike carrying, and go on and off in a flash. But how much is $1200 Canadian?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sharkalec said:
But how much is $1200 Canadian?
$1052 US. So, as usual we are getting ripped pretty bad here. Ordering from a US dealer or nipping across the border to pick up a set may not be a bad idea...

It also costs an extra $1800 for ABS up here. My bike, the way it is outfitted (ESA, bags, ABS etc.) + taxes comes to over $26, 000 Cdn. Crazy! The base price is $19,000 Cdn.

Fortunately, with my trade (05 GT) and sans bags it'll only cost me a couple hundred bucks. And it's going to a whole lot more fun imho.

·
Registered
730 Posts
They are nice, but if you just take a long weekend trip or two a year, it's hard to justify the cost.

imo

I'm looking for a good tail bag as we speak for the occasional weekenders.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mark,

I bought mine locally from my stealer for 1000 CDN no tax. Real easy to install. I take a lot of 3-4 day trips and for that it is worthwhile. The expendability of the bags is a big bonus...not the nicest looking when expanded but definitely practical. Spend the money but as our buddies suggest buy them from the states...better deal.

Chuck

·
Registered
108 Posts
The bags

Love the bags...they compliment the whole look imo...very functional/unique/odd...
Great idea for a road trip to the States...plenty of dealers right across the border. Good Luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
The design is worth it. Beside the fact that the panniers look sporty when they are on, the biggest attraction for me is that the racks look unobtrusive when the panniers are taken off, unlike most other bike racks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was initially thinking of not getting the bags but based on the feedback here and some more thinking on it...I think I will get them. I may be able to get them at some sort of discount from the Dealer or perhaps I will get them from the States.

The bike has around 150 km on it (demo rides), perhaps I can say since the bike is not just out of the crate I should get the bags a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do those panniers hold a laptop computer? I'm thinking about getting them when I purchase K12S. I will be commuting with the bike and have to carry a laptop computer with me everyday. If the panniers accomodates the laptop computer, then fine. But if not, any suggestion?

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Aviator_JPN said:
Do those panniers hold a laptop computer? I'm thinking about getting them when I purchase K12S. I will be commuting with the bike and have to carry a laptop computer with me everyday. If the panniers accomodates the laptop computer, then fine. But if not, any suggestion?

Thanks!
Depends on the size of your laptop. A 12" one may be ok. 14", 15" need to expand the bag to full size. Anything over is no. There are 2 other ways to carry laptops:
1. Laptop back pack which I use. There are many good-looking hard packs and softpacks on the market.
2. If you carry laptop mainly because of emails and files data, put them all on a portable USB hard drive, or flash drive. Even if you need an entire OS you can put it on a USB portable drive nowaday, and boot off that wherever there is a PC to connect to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
tatran said:
Even if you need an entire OS you can put it on a USB portable drive nowaday, and boot off that wherever there is a PC to connect to.
Thanks for the valuable information as always!
I didn't know that you can run the OS off the USB portable drive. Do you need any special software or device for that?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Aviator_JPN said:

Thanks!
The bags are great for soft stuff, but a laptop might be a close call. For reference, I can get a standard size 1" or 2" thick, 3-ring binder in the case, but anything larger than that is difficult because of the curves.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Aviator_JPN said:
Thanks for the valuable information as always!
I didn't know that you can run the OS off the USB portable drive. Do you need any special software or device for that?
No you do not. Most PCs/laptops nowaday should have built-in driver for USB devices in the BIOS. Hence you can setup the PC the order of what to boot first. A typical sequence may be USB, FDD, DVD, HDD. So it will go through that list and look for the first available one that has an OS.
Or you can buy and install software like Acronis OS Selector which allows you to select which OS (from multiple selections) to boot from.

·
Registered
22 Posts
tatran said:
No you do not. Most PCs/laptops nowaday should have built-in driver for USB devices in the BIOS. Hence you can setup the PC the order of what to boot first. A typical sequence may be USB, FDD, DVD, HDD. So it will go through that list and look for the first available one that has an OS.
Or you can buy and install software like Acronis OS Selector which allows you to select which OS (from multiple selections) to boot from.
That's very convenient! I didn't know that.
Again thanks for the info!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Aviator_JPN said:

Thanks!
No, I don't think so. However I commute with a laptop often
using a cargo net. Just secure the case flat on the passenger seat.

The USB drive is the way to go if just ferrying files is the aim.

Although capacity is limited i like the look of the bags, not near as fugly
as the system cases on the k12rs. They also come off easily and you don't
need a freakin key to get into them like the old k12.

YMMV

Best,

·
Registered
36 Posts
The BMW bags came with the bike when I bought it used in August 2005.

I don't care for the unusual look of the bags so I rarely use them.

It seems the more I ride, the less I carry. When I bought my R1100S in August 2001, I got the BMW tank bag and hard bags. And I had a backpack as well (BMW of course)! Over the next four-years I rode an average of 25,000 km a year.

I traded-in my R1100S with 99,800 km for the 2005 K1200S in August 2005. And now I ride only with a BMW backpack. I travel light and enjoy the freedom of no luggage. The bike performs so much better without the burden of extra weight and bulk.

I've found you can never have too little weight and too much horsepower.

PS: I'm up to over 12,000 km now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts