BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!

I am currently debating whether to update or repair my clutch basket but there's this sound I hear near the clutch area and would like to know if this is a failing part that could help me decide what to do (fix or upgrade)

Please let me know what you think...

Thanks in advance!!!

Noise near clutch area

· Registered
K1200GT 2006
34 Posts
No, first and easiest thing to check is whether the sound is gone when you engage the clutch lever. Could just be the plates rattling inside the clutch basket.
If not, try to listen if the noise increases when the rpm decreases back to idle when you've blipped the throttle to let's say 3k rpm. The timing chain will rattle most on decelleration because of the change of direction of the force applied to it and the slack getting to the opposite side of the chain (opposite of where the tensioner is positioned).
But to be honest, I don't hear anything concerning.

· Premium Member
708 Posts
I’ve heard that sound on a couple of bikes. I don’t think it’s the cam chain - that’s a definite thrashing sound. I think the noise you’re hearing is the sound of straight cut gears. Have a listen to a triumph speed or street triple and you’ll hear the same sound

· Registered
K1300GT SE / GSX1400 / LRD4
374 Posts
I'd agree with The Captn, straight cut gears from primary drive. My 675 Daytona made that noise, and my gsx1400 does the same in 1st gear, as its straight cut primary off the crank, goes away in second.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot to all!!!

I am sorry @Sbike and @Dutch_rider I was not clear about the sound I was worried about... it is not the rattle, i know it is my clutch basket and the chain tensioner has been replaced already.

The sound I was worried about is the whining/whistle that @Capt howdy and @EricK1300GTSE mentioned... I looked for the sound of straight cut gears and that explained everything. It is the exact same sound.

Here is the video I found explaining this sound.

THIS is WHY Triples WHINE and whistle

Once again Thank you all!!!!

· Registered
201 Posts
There is a distinctive engine sounds with these k12 an 13’s that are inherited in design, it’s a whirling type of sound and normal.
If you have a chance to be next to another check for comparisons.
As for the chain tensioner, many have misdiagnosed it for clutch basket rattle, I was quoted to upgrade to k13 basket so I did, however it ended up being the tensioner after many $ spent. The traditional way to tell the difference between the two is a bit deceiving and logically go with the easier cheaper option tensioner first as it’s a wearable part that has a relatively short service life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts