BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2005 K1200S that I recently smoked the CPU on. When I install the new CPU the horn is stuck "on."

Any ideas what the issue is? Did I fry another component or create an issue with the security system?

Any help is appreciated!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
CPU ?

Did you replace the ZFE or the ECU?
ZFE is the chassis computer, ECU is engine control.

And what went wrong with the first one and why did it fail? did you sort that out before installing a new component?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the ECU.

I tried to jump the bike from my truck and it overloaded.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
160 Posts
CANBUS info is hard to come by, but AFAIK the ECU controls engine electronics, the ZKE unit controls the chassis electrical consumers, which would include the horn.

Several other possibilities exist which could have your horn working overtime, including fried wiring (since you said you tried to jump from your truck).

I wouldn't think that jumper wires would lead to a fried ECU, but there's always someone...

·
Registered
166 Posts
But i would check the entire wiring harness before doing anything else. You have a lot of work ahead. Each wiee has to be checked, installing new controlunits before having fixed any birnt or shorted parts and wires can mean burning the replacements as well.

Start by checking the wires from the alternator and regulator, read about a similar thing a few weeks ago from jumpstarting and it had burnt the wiring from the regulator, once those were fixed everything else worked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts