BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last, my '07 K1200GT SE is finally in my hands, and in my garage. The 15 mile trip to the dealers on the LT turned into a nearly 70 mile trip back on the GT ;) . I took it on all types of road, dual carriageways, main roads, country roads, through urban areas, in traffic, on nearly empty roads, and I am certain of one thing - the GT speaks to my soul in a way the LT never did. I liked the LT and if BMW hadn't brought out the new GT, I would still own my LT. But the GT is just so much more FUN........ (about 200 smiles to the gallon I reckon :D )

For those intersted, the SE in UK has the Xenon headlight, as well as the other toys, plus I got the tall screen and the top box. I have already decided to get the topbox painted to match because, while it looks exactly the same in some lights, in others in looks close yet not quite (if that makes sense). It is also a satin finish, unlike the gloss on the bike - so, its a spray job (and the quote is only £100 including the paint - about $170(?) so definitely worth it). That will be done in about 2-3 weeks, because the paint has to be ordered in. I have attached pics of the topbox and panniers so you can see the current colour match (or not). BTW, the truck in the background of the main photo is my Ford F150 King Ranch pick-up They just don't make 'em like that over here - it's a cracker.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
she is an ABSOLUTE beauty
congrats a thousand times

i love the "200 smiles/gallon" comment very very much
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ClearwaterBMW said:
she is an ABSOLUTE beauty
congrats a thousand times

i love the "200 smiles/gallon" comment very very much
Greg,

Just so you know, the '07 models do NOT come from the factory with the 7.0 software loaded. My dealer had to load it as part of the PDI process. I certainly didn't have any problem with slow speed traffic during the run back, nor did I come across any of the other problems that have been reported with 7.0, such as the hesitation at 4800 revs (and I did try it several times....!!).

Whatever, I hope yours arrives soon, so you can be having as much fun as I intend to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Chrisdy said:
Greg,

Just so you know, the '07 models do NOT come from the factory with the 7.0 software loaded. My dealer had to load it as part of the PDI process. I certainly didn't have any problem with slow speed traffic during the run back, nor did I come across any of the other problems that have been reported with 7.0, such as the hesitation at 4800 revs (and I did try it several times....!!).

Whatever, I hope yours arrives soon, so you can be having as much fun as I intend to.
what?
they didn't?
how weird is that?
as long as they know to do it as part of the PDI....
and i guess that your windshield, etc.... works fine
at least they won't have to clear out all of the "adaptive memory" first

thanks for telling me that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Hi Chris,

great to see the new bike, can't wait to get mine now (production week 37). Out of interest what colour tank panels do you have fitted? From your photos they look quite light, certainly lighter than the panels under the seat, were they option 171 "Ganite Grey tank panel" or the standard slate grey?

Thanks
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Congratulations Chris.
You must be the first on the list with an 07.
We welcome your comments re the new brakes.
Ben, are you watching this thread?

Best wishes mate.

Ken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Geez that Crystal Grey looks beautiful. Far nicer than my dark blue.
See England has got the bikes on the floor now, vs US machines still in transit. I suppose you would expect that seeing England is only 2 hours away by Lancaster!!!!
Are the indicators LED or normal globe? There was comment that the 07s would go LED.

Best wishes.

Ken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Congrats Chris,

Very beautiful bike. I ordered mine in the same color / setup, albeit with the topbox lid painted (the dealer charged me € 120,- for that) and a R1200RT horn fitted.

Ride safe!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Chrisdy said:
Just so you know, the '07 models do NOT come from the factory with the 7.0 software loaded. My dealer had to load it as part of the PDI process.
My dealer told me that mine would have the v7.0 from factory loaded. Production schedule is for wk 39, so I assume they will have switched versions loading in Berlin by then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stevedo said:
Hi Chris,

great to see the new bike, can't wait to get mine now (production week 37). Out of interest what colour tank panels do you have fitted? From your photos they look quite light, certainly lighter than the panels under the seat, were they option 171 "Ganite Grey tank panel" or the standard slate grey?

Thanks
Steve
The bike was the standard colour options for the CGM, so I assume it is the slate grey. One of the things that is very apparent with the CGM bikes is they look different depending on lighting angles and intensity - it's almost like having several different colour bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
baytown said:
Geez that Crystal Grey looks beautiful. Far nicer than my dark blue.
See England has got the bikes on the floor now, vs US machines still in transit. I suppose you would expect that seeing England is only 2 hours away by Lancaster!!!!
Are the indicators LED or normal globe? There was comment that the 07s would go LED.

Best wishes.

Ken.
All indicators and tail lights are standard bulbs - no LEDs I'm afraid. I suspect if you try swopping them, any replacement LEDs will need compensator circuits to address the CANBUS power monitoring problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
That colour in the picture is very nice. I have yet to view it in the flesh but it looks fantastic. However I did a ride of 400 miles today and I stopped to have a rest in a lay-by and happened to look at my blue GT as we all do. The temperature was 20C the sun was shining for a change in N-Ireland, and I just thought god I am a lucky man. Whatever colour we are all very lucky to be riding such a great machine, but that silver does look very nice.

Although I suffer from really bad fuel injection at low speeds, I have so far resisted the 7.0 upgrade because of some of the feedback on this site. I just would not want to lose the power boost as some of you have described.

Good luck and enjoy..... your lucky, like all of us.

Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
Chrisdy said:
All indicators and tail lights are standard bulbs - no LEDs I'm afraid. I suspect if you try swopping them, any replacement LEDs will need compensator circuits to address the CANBUS power monitoring problem.
Be careful especially with the tail lights. Although they are typical dual-filament bulbs, it's my understanding that they only run at half wattage in running light mode. When you apply the brakes, the CANbus kicks them into full-wattage mode. It's a whole new ballgame folks. It's no big deal...we just have to learn how to play by a new set of rules. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
messenger13 said:
Be careful especially with the tail lights. Although they are typical dual-filament bulbs, it's my understanding that they only run at half wattage in running light mode. When you apply the brakes, the CANbus kicks them into full-wattage mode. It's a whole new ballgame folks. It's no big deal...we just have to learn how to play by a new set of rules. :)

Thanks Joe! Know I understand why the light intensity seems to change momentarily when I hit the front brake to kick off the Cruise control. Naturally, I only see it at night and have wondered if I have an electrical problem.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top