BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, can anybody give me some advice. I've been riding my 2003 K1200GT for a few years now with no problems. yesterday, however it just stopped and left me stranded on the side of the road. It surged a couple of time then cut out. It turns over but wont fire. It's either fuel or spark, I don't know. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi everyone, can anybody give me some advice. I've been riding my 2003 K1200GT for a few years now with no problems. yesterday, however it just stopped and left me stranded on the side of the road. It surged a couple of time then cut out. It turns over but wont fire. It's either fuel or spark, I don't know. Any thoughts?
Hi Faz. Could be you have a split fuel line inside the tank... not an uncommon problem that will do what you are experiencing.
In fact I suspect my next door neighbours LT might be suffering the same problem.... will find out soon enough when it starts getting stripped down.
You can supposedly tell by looking in the fuel tank and turning the engine on.... if you hear a "swishing" sound of fuel as it tries to prime then chances are the hose has split, or popped off.
The fuel pump and filter looks like this... it's all inside the tank
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-43mm-Fuel-Pump-Kit-BMW-K1200-Models-16-14-1-341-231-FPK-231K1200/253332407779?fits=Make:BMW|Model:K1200LT&hash=item3afbc9c5e3:g:HsAAAOSwySVaQ7Zt

Could also be a dodgy spark plug lead.....?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Faz, I'm with CWS, the fuel line. Mine did the same thing on the way to the gas station. I thought it ran out of gas, but no. Maybe the fuel filter? No. It ended up being a pin size hole in one of the fuel lines. If you get the point where you pull everything, make sure you change the air filter under the gas tank while you're in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In-tank hoses

A leaking fuel tube inside the tank could very well be the problem. These OEM tubes are known to crack and split (just like OEM brake lines) with age. The pump and PRV keep the pressure at about 45 psi which provides good spray from the injectors. If you can hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds at key-on and see/hear any swirling in the tank per CWS above, it's a good sign you found a problem.

IF that is the problem I'd suggest the kit from BBY with the fuel filter, main tubes, and two smaller internal lines (overflow and vent). I'd also suggest the Oetiker hose clamps. They are much more positive and will keep the hose on the steel tube much better than the screw type. AMHIK.

If your bike still has the two OEM plastic quick disconnects beneath the right side of the tank, you NEED to replace them, too, with brass units, again from BBY. They are a known problem. They sometimes crack/split while you are riding and spray gas everywhere.

Save the plastic connectors and make a pressure test kit from them.

You can check for spark (with NO GASOLINE ANYWHERE AROUND) by pulling a spark plug cap, sticking an old plug in the cap and grounding the body of the plug to the engine. Make sure the bike is in neutral, the kill switch is ON, and hit the starter button while watching for the spark. Hard to see it in bright daylight. This will not tell you anything about the timing, only that the fuse, coil, ECU, relay, HES, etc are working.

The hardest part is getting the Tupperware off.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts