BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I recently bought a 1989 K100 rs 16v after always riding Japanese bikes.
Its been a revelation as I bought it without seeing it off ebay.
In the Uk BMW is a brand which has a reputation for being suitable for sensible old men.
I have found the experience interesting and very nearly got rid of the thing for being to heavy, slow and heavy on fuel.
I only get 120 miles to a tank, :yeow: is this normal?

I have become used to the odd handling and the weird power delivery and find myself becoming enthusiastic about the heavy old beast even to the point where I enjoy surprising CBR riders away from traffic lights and out weaving them through the traffic (I live in London, former despatch rider, 6 years) so that they pull up along side and slightly behind me to look at my bike seemingly unsure what it is? :rotf:

So to the point of this post, Am I alone in being amazed by how good these old bikes actually are? And can anyone tell me what kind of oil, tyres, and bits and bobs I need to keep the thing in good order?
Ta

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
pipeandslippers said:
I only get 120 miles to a tank, :yeow: is this normal?
No.....and Yes at 6,000+ Rpms. :teeth

·
Registered
14 Posts
I, too, am a Japanese convert. Had numerous crotch rockets and a Goldwing since 16. I ended up going through my mid-life crisis at 28 and bought the '06 K12GT I have my hands on now. Now I'm just trying to figure out how I explain to my wife what stage I'm going through to get a '13 K16GT :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel economy resolved

It turns out running around on 20 psi front and rear can have a terrible affect on fuel economy.
It doesnt do much for handling either.
I returned from a trip to Sheffieldand including the 175 miles to get there the last tank of fuel lasted 194 miles.
Not bad I reckon and although I would never exceed the speed limit of 70 mph I imagine crusing at 90-100 would have been comfy as well.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
pipeandslippers said:
It turns out running around on 20 psi front and rear can have a terrible affect on fuel economy.
I returned from a trip to Sheffieldand including the 175 miles to get there the last tank of fuel lasted 194 miles.
Not bad I reckon and although I would never exceed the speed limit of 70 mph I imagine crusing at 90-100 would have been comfy as well.
Not to mention that it is not good for the tires. Underinflation can overheat your tires, leading to excessive wear and possible catastrophic failure.

If this issue is likely to happen again, consider buying a third-party tire pressure monitor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its on my list of thinks to buy.
I have however just got 120 miles from this last tank of fuel.
This is all town riding however.
Should I expect this kind of fuel useage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just worked out that I am getting 23.94 mpg.

This cant be how BMW inended!

I average 44mpg in my VW Passat estate car 1.9TDI and that is almost constant stop start in London traffic

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You need to service that bike.....new wires/spark plugs/filters etc. can do wonders about the fuel economy. And then inspect it well for safety issues, age of tires/brake lines/pads etc. Really that's an old bike, you'll never know until you dig into it. :)

Yes they go forever and that's the problem. Incites the POs into ignoring proper maintenance. :wtf:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I started to service it.
Seems the throttle bodies have been fiddled with.
Anyone got any advice re setting the whole injection system?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have done the service and balanced the throttle bodies with a vacuum gauge, better than nothing. Still very rich so I am going to change the water temp sensor and take the opportunity to clean and check all the bits and bobs.
If that doesnt work I am going to take it to a proffessional :phonecall .
By the way I got talking to a London despatch rider on a K100LT and he said he expects 50mpg plus out of his K.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very good advice sir.
I am fairly handy however and have learned loads about efi.
I think I have fixed it, 47mpg and what a lovely smooth fast bike I now
Own.
:teeth

·
Registered
96 Posts
47mpg is great fuel economy on that bike.
my '88 k75s averages only 36 around town and 40 on the hiway.
it's an old bike (with new tires) but need to service the injectors for smoother running and better efficiency ..
i have been riding a 1300cc v-4 cruiser (ricer) recently and get the same mpg ...
though the ricer looks cool i really miss riding my ugly old brick...
next riding season i think i will register my k again as it's probably the best, most comfortable bike that i have owned
carry on

·
Registered
21 Posts
pipeandslippers said:

What pressueres are running?
When I changed the tyres on my91 16v RS I put on Pirelli Angel ST's and it instantly transformed the feel and handling of the bike. If you are running more modern tyres you need to be careful of the pressures. The little sticker under the seat says 32 and 36 Psi but this is only suitable for the older tyres listed on the sticker. Modern ones need to run around 36 and 42.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts