BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The K bike with a dead battery is NG. I take care of the gell cell battery that came with the bike. But always wanting to be prepared caused me to wonder how to jump start a K f the battery didn't have enough juice. What would be the best way to make this happen. I do recall seeing small jumper cables. I could even make a pair, beng handy with a soldering gun. But more importantly whats best way to do this if cables were used. Info on a bike to bike jump as well as a car to bike jump. I recall the procedure for car to car. Good battery gets clips on each post, dead battery gets hot on post and neutral on ground other than battery. I would imagine this would hold true on the K. But the last thing I want to do is fry anything on the ever so expensive k bikes electrics. Whatever info is as always greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

John

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
John
It would probably work OK. I am sure that you would not want to have the car or starting vehicle running when you tried this. The inrush into the dead battery might fry the electronics.
Bruce C

·
Registered
589 Posts
Like Brucecha said, that will work fine, however if you use a car battery, do not have the car running, and let the batteries sit hooked together for a few minutes before you try to start the bike. Easy to make a set with some 8 or 10 ga. wire that will wind up pretty small and store in a side or tankbag.

·
Registered
8 Posts
...what ever happened to engage second gear...push bike running as hard as you can...jump on board...dump clutch....

·
Registered
82 Posts
push start the bike?

Are you kidding..pushing a 600 lb bike..you want to get a hernia? Maybe rolling it downhill is OK, but jump start is much easier
plastics

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Re5guy said:
...what ever happened to engage second gear...push bike running as hard as you can...jump on board...dump clutch....
If the battery is indeed flat, you have no juice to run the fuel pump or the CPU.
And I think you would get tired real quick. I can hardly push my KRS onto the lift, let alone bump start it.
Bruce C

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmmm, that's a point. If the battery was stone dead flat I would agree with you, but if it was not quite dead, i.e. it couldn't turn over the starter motor (which has a high drain) but say still worked the horn, it may still have enough power available to run the fuel pump etc.

I have jumped started a K100RS with the run and dump clutch method in the past, although I had a pusher to help.

Tony

·
Registered
264 Posts
Back to the original question. The easiest way to to pre-install a jump connection but you have to do that right or you risk burning down your bike. Run a battery lead (yes, the 8-10mm diameter type) from the hot lead to your underseat area so you can get to the hot lead w/o having to disassemble the bike. However you must do the following:

1. Make sure it is routed away from any sharp corners that could frey the insulation.
2. Make sure the end of it has a removable insulated cap that won't come off by accident. I've heard you can buy these but I haven't found one. I want to install one myself.

The reason this is so important is because the current in the battery during a short or during cold starting is very similar the current put out by an arc welder. It will melt steel and set anything flammable in the area on fire. Ever wonder why there are so many RVs on fire beside the road? Usually it is the long battery cable that has been re-routed by an amateur. It eventually chaffs and arcs and sets the RV on fire.

--Jerry

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's not that hard to do

Last week when it hit almost 50 degrees here in Chicago I was able to put on a quick 100 miles. Even though I had been using a BMW battery charger connected through the accessories port, the battery was weak. I was able to get the bike started by sort of using that hookup as my "jump". I was hoping that a spirited highway ride would perk up the battery. No such luck. As I was topping off the tank on the return, about a mile from home, I had a problem. As you all know, one needs a key to open up the tank. Well I don't carry a second key, so off went the ignition..... And, much to my dismay I found that the battery needs to be replaced. Not enough juice to start her up. As I was alone I really had no choice. A single person bump start in the gas station lot. I too was worried about the feasibility of getting this 600 pound piece of Bavarian iron moving fast enough to catch, etc, etc. Well it turns out it's not so bad. I was lucky. She caught on the first attempt. In fact as I was worried about this exact scenario unfolding before I headed out, I had removed the BMW cases to facilitate the " push/run, jump on, pop the clutch" scenario. I am glad I did. I would recommend that anyone who is forced to do this procedure first remove any and all luggage... Hmm. I guess that would present the same problem as one needs the key to re-attach the bags. OK, I recommend that everybody carry a second key on or about the bike, and remove the cases/tail bags before attempting. I also believe that a bump start is something that everybody should be prepared to do. It is way more fun to be self sufficient (especially if on tour and out in the wilds of wherever), as opposed to waiting for the tow truck to help one out. Even with this big bike-K1200RS- it is no big deal. If you can get her up on the center stand, you should be able to give yourself a bump start. However, if you are one who struggles with a simple center stand, well don't try a bump start. My 2cents

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
butttttttttttttt..............

Re5guy said:
Should work, but one could wind up at the bottom of a 400 foot driveway with a dead bike and a long walk. :mad:

K75s, 1992. BTDT.

p.s. A weak battery will turn the engine too slow to fire, but with enough juice to spray the injectors. So now you have a flooded engine, weak battery, and the afore mentioned long walk. :wtf

·
Registered
264 Posts
Warp9,
Good job on the bump start. I'd recommend that anybody considereing a bump start to practice pushing their bike around their driveway, garage, etc. I dropped mine twice just moving it around when I first got it. I'm still not reall confident pushing it around but get it done.

I'm sure you realize that the accessory port isn't intended as a jumpstart outlet and you might check that there isn't a fuse blown.

Sounds like you need a new battery. i recommend the odyssey.

Cheers,
Jerry

·
Registered
768 Posts
Jump starting recommendation

I thoroughly recommend a passenger, preferably a strong one for jump starting the beast. I did abuse my wife in such a way a couple of summers ago, needless to say had a new battery the following day!

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is possible to jump start it with a dead battery. You do have to get going fast enough so that the alernator is generating enough juice to start the fuel pump. I do mine all the time uphill just to get some exercise. :ricky

·
Registered
264 Posts
bhaynnes said:
It is possible to jump start it with a dead battery. You do have to get going fast enough so that the alernator is generating enough juice to start the fuel pump. I do mine all the time uphill just to get some exercise. :ricky
Saves wear on the starter too. For fun try it in reverse!!! Sometimes I leave it on the centerstand and spin the rear tire rapidly with my left thumb while stretching up to start it with my right hand!!!

--Jerry

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I'll make a set of 8 gauge wire jumpers with some type of protection against shorts. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My 02 had a dead battery one day. I had left that stupid parking light on.
I was at the top of a hill so I just rolled down to start, but it would not start. Of course.

I called the BMW Roadside Assistance toll free number. 1 877 680 217
They sent out a tow truck with jumper cables. We let the tow truck charge up the bike battery for about ten minutes then started the bike.
Then disconnected the jumper cables. Free of cost.
The wet cel batt. was ok for two years, then traded bike.

Bazra
aka; The Flash

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the battery is low enough, the fule pump doesn't seem to kick in.

I had enough juice that my computer was on....

Push start only got me going for a minute, then she died. go to try the 'non running car' jump tonight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts