BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....Just jumping in the pool to say I've bought a 1998 K1200 RS with extremely low mileage for the year model, now the 3rd owner. Its the Dakar yellow / checkerboard paint scheme (always loved that look ) that was maybe only produced in 1998, but I'm not absolutely certain of that. I have some questions if anyone would care to help me find answers, which would be much appreciated. Does the 1998 K1200 RS need spline lubes like my 93 K-75 does ?? Can you stand the K1200 "up" in gears 1-2-3-4-5 ? Sorry...not sure where that came from, but at 66 years on the planet, I don't think I'll be utilizing that capability even if it will do it. I've ridden BMW K-bikes since the mid-90's, and crashed my 1st K-75 in 1999 after a heat stroke or some junk, into a railroad bridge abutment and flipped head over tea kettle along the top of a guardrail for 35-40 ft. This incident tore both me and the bike into multiple pieces. My recovery was long time horrible and I went 12 years without riding, but got back on the horse in 2011 with the purchase of my current K-75. I still LOVE RIDING but hurt like a demon, especially my shattered legs. HERE IS A MAJOR CONCERN IF YOU CAN HELP. Has any K1200 RS owner ever seen highway pegs or foot bars added to the K1200 RS so I can stretch my legs out when they start killing me ? Sorry for the long message, any help will be much appreciated. Stephen

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard! This wouldn’t happen to be Mick’s old bike and you wouldn’t happen to be in SE PA by chance? If so we met a couple of weeks ago at the Bavarian Bike barn.

The only option on getting the pegs any lower is custom fab - I saw a thread on the MOA site, but it didn’t include pictures or much else of use. It would just be a step down plate for each side.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats. Im a new 99 KRS owner myself. I had the gearbox off to replace a rear main seal, and I have to say, that there wasn't much, if any lube on the splines. This was similar to my 98 R1200C as well. Good luck with your KRS. Its a fantastic bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a '98 K12 (Dolphin Blue) and I have never seen a way to add highway pegs. Too much fairing and no place to mount them. I put an aftermarket peg lowering kit to give my legs a bit more room. You only get about 2 inches though. Raising the seat to the top setting will also give you some extra room. Standing on the pegs to stretch is the only option for a full stretch.
I've never tried to pop the bike but don't believe you can stand it up. Too heavy.
I also added extenders to the bars to help with my riding position (I'm about 5'9") and an Areoflo touring shield. Much more comfortable now.
Enjoy

·
Registered
7 Posts
They were still producing the Dakar yellow and gray themed K1200's in 2001 because I have one. The style is referred as the Taxi design.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts