BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Call your local dealer and give them the VIN so they can tell you if any "campaigns" are open on it. Unless the previous owner had them addressed, you might have a couple of recall issues to take care of.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, check into the recalls through a dealer (rear brakes, rear hub, cam chain guide). Its a heavy, fast bike, so get some fresh tires on it if the one's it came with are questionable at all. Do your first oil change yourself, you'll learn a lot about your new toy taking all the plastic off.
Ride far and fast, that's what this bike is all about :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Start a repair fund....it's such a great bike that you won't be able to live without if if you encounter one of the issues not covered by some warrantee or recall. If you don't use the repair fund, use it for a down payment on its replacement years down the road.

·
Registered
48 Posts
EricS said:
Start a repair fund....it's such a great bike that you won't be able to live without if if you encounter one of the issues not covered by some warrantee or recall. If you don't use the repair fund, use it for a down payment on its replacement years down the road.
I bought an '07 K12GT a couple weeks ago from a dealer. I'm already using my repair fund. :rotf:

·
Registered
38 Posts
houman said:
Anything a newbie to BMW should know.
Great bike to ride but If you don't have a BMW warranty you will need long arms and very deep pockets to keep on the road.
They are very unreliable and very very expensive to repair !

My K1200GT was my first and last BMW.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Beemers are not for everyone. That's why they make Japanese bikes :teeth Don't let these noobs scare you, proper maintainence is the key, for anything. Suggest you go to I-BMW. Not as many noobs or trolls there. Just helpful folks and tons of experience. I hate to say since I have been here for ages, but this forum is basically DOA.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Of course there not for everyone, they are marketed at middle aged executives with way too much disposable income, meanwhile in the real World...........

·
Registered
478 Posts
Bigmc said:
Of course there not for everyone, they are marketed at middle aged executives with way too much disposable income, meanwhile in the real World...........
Ya know what, I don't have any problem with that :) I worked hard and long and enjoy the finer things in life. Beemers, Bimmers and a really good Bordeaux with a good cigar. So sue me.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Bigmc said:
What? I can't quite hear you over the silky smooth growl of my Slant/6 GTL . . . :bmw:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had my 08 GT for 4-5 months now and it is an awesome ride. Only repair I've done was a preventive replacement of the fuel tank plastic quick disconnects to metal. All the campaigns are done except for the rear wheel flange and that's scheduled for this Tuesday. Much more sporty bike as compared with my prior R1150RT.

Todd
08 GT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts