BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After three monhs of waiting I finally received my order a heated seat and the smuggler. I'm happy with the workmanship on both the peices but the space in the smuggler is very limited to a mere wallet and a cell phone plus a set of keys. I have yet to try out the seat. I'm posting the pics so the people with the bumble bee's can see how the black smuggler looks.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
xkactetx said:
After three monhs of waiting I finally received my order a heated seat and the smuggler. I'm happy with the workmanship on both the peices but the space in the smuggler is very limited to a mere wallet and a cell phone plus a set of keys. I have yet to try out the seat. I'm posting the pics so the people with the bumble bee's can see how the black smuggler looks.
Only a wallet, phone, and keys??? Wow, I thought it was 7.1 liters. I've been thinking alot about getting that setup with the hope of putting my rain gear. Doesn't sound like there's enough room for that. And a 3 month wait too? Hmmm, guess I better wait til' I can see it in person.

Looks great, though.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Just my opinion , but I got to see one in the flesh, didn't float my boat. Made the back end of the bike look fat, not like a solo cowl. Again just me. Not trying to be mean.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Got Mine Too...

Congrats... and I just got mine a few days ago... I agree.. great workmanship although typically heavy. I ordered mine unpainted and got it for $100 off...

I would disagree with you about the storage.. It actually has about TWICE the room I thought it would. Was pleasantly surprised.. I can carry just about everything I usually carry around and still have plenty of room left-over.. I guess it depends on your needs.

I got the full "extortion" package.. front and rear seat (unheated), the backrest, and the smuggler. Cost me about $1300 or so.. While the quality is impressive, install was problematic. I had to make a spacer in order for the smuggler to latch to the bike as the Corbin mechanism wouldn't connect with the factory locking clamp.

The rear seat wouldn't latch at all no matter how many spacers I used. I called them got a RA# and shipped it back for tweaking.. They were nice enough on the phone but for this kind of money there should be no problems, me thinks.. O, well.. the bike is wheel and plastic-less and it's ass-bitin' cold here anyway..

Lastly.. unlike a few here, I think the shape not only compliments the bike, but "completes" the rear of the bike taking the visual attention away from the abomination of a tail light... To be honest, I had no intention of buying the S until I saw the smuggler.. Can't wait to get it painted and all assembled.. I just PRAY to the lord above (and I'm not a Christian) that I like the seat.. I know they have a reputation of being hard at first. I just hope I can move around on it like the stocker... Guess I'll find out in the spring..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Seems like the big red taillight isn't a popular feature. Any rumblings out there about an aftermarket replacement? Seems like it couldn't be too difficult to fix.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i think the smuggler seat looks good except the plastic portion has a nice high gloss shine to it that clashes with the flat black paint on the bike. i don't know where BMW came up with that drap black paint it looks horrible and takes away from the bumble bee paint job. there was a guy that had his bumble bee painted with a high gloss black paint that looked great. good luck with the seat and ride safe

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
That bumble bee ain't no paint job. They are stickers. The K1200S and now the new GT are just screaming for some custom paint work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Corbin Seat

I bought the Corbin seat about 3 months ago. I really like it much better than the stock seat. I can do at least 50% more time in the saddle without being sore. The heated feature is an added plus which I would suggest. I did not have a long wait for my seat at all, only a few weeks. Enjoy!

·
Registered
531 Posts
i like the bumble bee with the exception of the dull black paint, bmw ought to take a cue from the guy who had his bumble bee customed painted...see attachment

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Clear lens for taillight?

mattlamotte said:
Seems like the big red taillight isn't a popular feature. Any rumblings out there about an aftermarket replacement? Seems like it couldn't be too difficult to fix.
Would a clear lens with a red bulb fix the ugly factor?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Got the Smuggler and seat

It finally arrived today and 30 minutes later it was on my bike. I think it improves the look of the bike. The paint matches perfectly (so far) and it will hold everything I had in my tank bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
wellcraft said:
i like the bumble bee with the exception of the dull black paint, bmw ought to take a cue from the guy who had his bumble bee customed painted...see attachment
Wooo!!!! Man does that bike look great, or what?! Looks like I'll be saving some money for awhile. Gotta get that done to mine!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts