BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
BMW K1300R 2010, & BMW K75 1992
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Cool. Will do.
I have probably run about 400 miles since replacing the O2 sensor, so should it have sorted itself out by now?
Also, would that sort out the fuelling issue I’ve got?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah, tried all that and it still kangaroos in 1st and 2nd gear!
im a bit disappointed with the booster plug to be honest!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My idle is 1100rpm which I think is normal but the rev counter bounces slightly around that number, only very slightly but I can hear it doing it too,
Should a “good” k1300 be pretty smooth running at idle?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Replaced the crankshaft sensor and it has mildly mildly improved but still j-j-j-jerkkkkk-y-y! In ffffirst and ssssssseccconddd ggggeaaarrr!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So, i wrote to the guys at booster plug to ask for advice as when i fitted their device it appeared to make zero difference at all.

They had said to check to see I’d not trapped one of the 4 breather hoses when replacing the tank.
so I’ve removed all the plastics tonight and ive checked and they all appear fine.
I tried running the bike with the tank lifted up and back a bit too just to trial it and see if it made any difference. Idle still bounces around 1000-1100rpm with a distinct burr, burr, burr, b-burrp, burr burr, burr, b-burrp style engine sound.
(i will video it next time to illustrate, in the hope somone can advise)

whilst i had the tank out i noticed this connector which is unconnected, is this for an optional extra or something?

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not sure what the problem could be now..?
Air sensor in the airbox?
Maybe an injector, or perhaps a coil?
I have tried measuring the temp on the headers with a lazer thermometer and they seemed pretty similar temps.
Perhaps I’ll measure again tomorrow?

Any sage wise folk any advise?

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,264 Posts
Yeah, you need to nail down where that connector goes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I did find this info in regard to the k1200 (classic) it could be that the same thing applies to the k1300..?

“This is the ONLY "loose" connector that you do NOT have to worry about - the story is this:
For K1200RS/K1200LT sold in USA market, BMW had to implement a "Tank breather valve" (also called vapor venting system for fuel tank). The system is not installed in other markets (Europe , Canada...) so there is a missing small pulse-valve normally attached on left side just above fuel-injection rail.

Because the Pulse-valve is missing (outside of USA market), this connector is loose. From factory, it is normally attached to fuel rail with a zip tie - no harm done with rain as the Motronic just sends signal at intervalls BUT does NOT care to read anything from it.”

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Tank breather valve...could be the charcoal canister solenoid that vents the canister to the intake system on a basis determined by the computer. A fuel contaminated canister can cause a number of symptoms, poor running, vacuum in the fuel tank leading to stalling.
I agree, since it is not a US bike, sure could be that connector.
My high miles K bike has an idle about 1150 RPM that hunts up and down by 50 or so. I chock it up to old sensors and electronics. The low miles K is smoother but not a rock steady rpm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah, mine is similar to you then sits around 1000 rpm but bounces about a bit.
Not too bad but the jerky throttle at anything under 3000 rpm is really killing the ride for me.
I’ve just cleaned and replaced the idle control valve in a further quest to sort this out but that made no differwnce to a test ride either.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Well, I'm leaning to the Throttle body sensor being worn out.
Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Gadget Cameras & optics

Gesture Handgun holster Glove Sports gear Personal protective equipment

These screen shots from Ebay, a used but "good" unit for $70
Here is new:
13 54 8 406 249​
THROTTLE VALVE SWITCH​
62.04​
1​
$226.57​
I'd try a used one first not much money to gamble, while in the states the $226 is many tacos. I bet in the UK they are around 100 pounds.
Here is one in the UK: Throttle position sensor

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not sure if it's directly linked but the last 2 days my K has started to stall whenever I come to a stop and will not run at idle unless I rev the throttle to keep it running.
Reseting Throttle position helps a bit but still running badly.
Seems to be getting worse.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Not sure if it's directly linked but the last 2 days my K has started to stall whenever I come to a stop and will not run at idle unless I rev the throttle to keep it running.
Reseting Throttle position helps a bit but still running badly.
Seems to be getting worse.
Really really bad today on my way from manchester to leeds it cut out at every single junction and roundabout. Essentially any time i came to a stop/or pulled the clutch.
Could maybe be from when i took out and inspected the idle control valve?
I did check it’s operation and then lightly oil it, should i have greased it?

·
Registered
BMW K1300S, 2009
23 Posts
Really really bad today on my way from manchester to leeds it cut out at every single junction and roundabout. Essentially any time i came to a stop/or pulled the clutch.
Could maybe be from when i took out and inspected the idle control valve?
I did check it’s operation and then lightly oil it, should i have greased it?
Is the battery as specified in the manual? There was a case when the wrong battery was standing and the motorcycle stalled at idle

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Hmm?
A good point.
Will have to look into it and check.

Just been checking with the mighty Google and seems that there's mixed results for battery type for the K1300R sems around 12V and then 12-18AH.
Most seem to be 14AH so maybe that's the one to go with?

·
Registered
BMW K1300S, 2009
23 Posts
Хм?
Хороший момент.
Надо будет заглянуть и проверить.

Только что заразился могучий Google и, кажется, есть смешанные результаты для батареи типа K1300R sems около 12 В, затем 12-18 Ач.
Большинство из них, кажется, 14AH, так что, может быть, это тот, который нужно использовать?
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]
я купил это

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
After yesterdays "mechanics" (see below) I have now ordered a brand new Idle control valve!

Having taken mine out last week to inspect and clean it my idle became worse and was accompanied by stalling at traffic lights.
Yesterday evening I removed fairings, tank etc and idle control valve to re-inspect.
I applied a light coating of lube and then put the bike back together. Big mistake!

Bike then idled rough and when throttle was turned even slightly the revs increased to 3000rpm and stayed there. The only way to come back down off 3000rpm was to turn off the engine.
I then took the tank off again and the ICV back out again. This time i noted that when the ignition key was turned and the bike went through it's usual clicks and whirrs with the ICV removed from the airbox the valve just juddered a bit, and then juddered when the key was turned off rather than trying to move in and out (which i understand is normal operation?) as it would inside the airbox.
So, I unscrewed the end of the valve to re-inspect (again) and make sure it was not wound too tight, also probably a big mistake?!

Reassembled everything again, and then tried to run the bike....

This time the bike simply would not maintain idle without a hint of throttle to hold it at 1000rpm, where it then held steady.
Now, previously when running the bike at idle prior to inspection it was not really possible to turn the throttle and maintain a "steady" idle. The bike would always be burbling up and down the revs as if stumbling.
for example to hold throttle at 1500 rpm it would wobble around 1500-1550, same at idle where it would bounce between 1000 and 1050.
This leads me to think that the ICV could be at fault for my shitty idle.

Anyway, we'll see when the part finally arrives!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts