BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Pirate's Lair Stealth Backrest and the Am Machine Company Barbacks (onto my 98 RS which already had the comfort risers installed).

All I can say is Wow, how nice it all went on and how pleased I am with the barbacks. No Cable re-route required either. They feel like they will completely cure the tingles, and with more MYRP practice will be perfect for the long haul.

Wife likes the Backrest.

Kudos to the Pirate, job well done.

AAArggg.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi, what size bar backs doid you fit? I have a 98 K1200rs in sunny dakar yellow and a more relaxed upright position would suit me better.

Did you have to extend any of the existing cabling?

Cheeeeeeeeeeers :D

Andy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bike is just like yours- if your avatar is your bike. I have not had time to change mine- but I will soon do that.

Look at the Pirates Lair Website. under the K1200RS section and scroll down to the bar backs. The American Machine Company only comes in one size- that is the one I have.

No- I did not have to change any cables or hoses, but I did have to loosen some tie wraps (cable ties) to get some slack.

Note: I already had the BMW Comfort Handlebar mounts- (risers) so these two things together resulted in my set up.

If you do not have the comfort mounts- that would be a good place to start. See a dealer or watch for used.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks guys, I have looked at the web site and ordered a back rest, bar backs and a tinted screen.

Got my eyes open for comfort bars though :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please explain what you have in mind for "comfort bars"... Do you mean the BMW comfort grip mounts?
Or is it a cozy place in the highlands with fresh Guiness and a warm fire and good food?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The amount of severe rain and flooding we are having her at the moment I think a Log cabin with a roaring fire with some Jameson's whisky is a better idea.

Bmw comfort mounts..

Andy from my study looking at my almost flooded garden.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR :(

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
gandy said:
The amount of severe rain and flooding we are having her at the moment I think a Log cabin with a roaring fire with some Jameson's whisky is a better idea.

Bmw comfort mounts..

Andy from my study looking at my almost flooded garden.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR :(
We're having the opposite problem. Drought and wildfires everywhere:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have a Stealth backrest and my wife thinks its the best thing since sliced bread ... she feels so much more secure with something to lean back against (as opposed to falling off the back of the bike I suppose).

Just something to for my fellow Aussies to be aware of ... the postage cost that Pirates Lair charge is UNBELIEVABLY expensive as they will only ship top of the wozza Fed Express (well over US$100 postage for the Stealth backrest which is relatively small and light). The postage was so high, I ended up getting a second hand backrest from a guy in kansas shipped by sea mail ... ended up costing a fraction of what Pirates (ie Fed Ex) was charging but then I took the risk that it wouldn't turn up.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts