BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I've recently sold my 2005 - K 1200 R & bought a 2007 - K 1200 S.
Regards the headlight set up, being a more comprehensive set up than the naked R, I find my dual Hi beam is lower than my single low beam.
Logic tells me it should be higher but it all looks as though it's made this way.
Firstly. Is this correct?
There aren't any others I can compare to........
Or. Has this been tampered with by it's previous owner?
The previous owner strikes me as a daylight rider only, so he wouldn't have cared at all.
I'm aware that the set up is made with the hi beam physically lower in the fairing but there may be something I'm missing.
I'm aware of the raise / lower tilt switch & also the adjusting knob.
Looking forward to some clarity here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a white plastic tab on the back and to the left of the center headlight. Make sure it's horizontal for 1up riding. When it's flipped up its for 2up and luggage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a white plastic tab on the back and to the left of the center headlight. Make sure it's horizontal for 1up riding. When it's flipped up its for 2up and luggage.
Hi there
I appreciate your reply to this dilemma, but I'm well aware of the tilt lever for 2 up riding.
The problem I have is that the Hi Beam is lower than the low beam & that doesn't make sense to me.
The tilt lever you mentioned moves the whole assembly with both lights, where as I'm trying to understand why the Hi Beam is lower than the single low beam.

·
Registered
92 Posts
All things the same. Maybe you have a bulb that is put in caliwonked or crooked. Otherwise the back part of the light, the reflector part were the bulb goes in has pulled away from the front part of the lens?

·
Registered
3 Posts
All things the same. Maybe you have a bulb that is put in caliwonked or crooked. Otherwise the back part of the light, the reflector part were the bulb goes in has pulled away from the front part of the lens?
Hi all.
I've recently sold my 2005 - K 1200 R & bought a 2007 - K 1200 S.
Regards the headlight set up, being a more comprehensive set up than the naked R, I find my dual Hi beam is lower than my single low beam.
Logic tells me it should be higher but it all looks as though it's made this way.
Firstly. Is this correct?
There aren't any others I can compare to........
Or. Has this been tampered with by it's previous owner?
The previous owner strikes me as a daylight rider only, so he wouldn't have cared at all.
I'm aware that the set up is made with the hi beam physically lower in the fairing but there may be something I'm missing.
I'm aware of the raise / lower tilt switch & also the adjusting knob.
Looking forward to some clarity here.
The K12S uses a completely different headlight assembly and what you described is the correct configuration. The assembly consists of 3 bulbs (4 if you include the small parking light) with the low beam on top. If you do much night riding, I would suggest upgrading to a LED light for at least the low beam (I did all three) and the difference is amazing. If you are interested, pirateslair.net has good quality 4 sided CANBUS compatible LED lights for $44.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So, you're saying that the high beam is actually the low beam and vice-versa? Obviously, no, that is incorrect and BMW did not make it that way, nor did the various government bodies accept such a design. Ensure the actual bulb wattages are correct, and that they are correctly installed. Look for evidence of any alterations to the wiring. Maybe the previous owner had driving lights installed and removed them before selling the bike and mixed up the wires. Try unplugging the low beam bulb connector and see if the high beam is on with the high beam switch in the off position. You have to troubleshoot this by first ensuring the exiting connections are correct and the proper bulbs are correctly installed. If you don't find the problem after that, then you can start looking for miswiring in the harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I was trying to say is the factory configuration has the single bulb low beam on the top and the dual high beams are the bottom. Look at any pictures of the front and you will see what I am describing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's a different story. Looks like you've got your answer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've cracked it. As Phil is from Oz, it's obvous that he has bought a second-hand bike that was originally built for the Northern Hemisphere market.
The High-beam would operate correcly in Europe or the US, but since he is in effect riding upsde-down the high-beam is in-fact pointing the correct way.

(I'll get my coat)

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
477 Posts
Just to confuse things (probably not here) there are different lenses for driving on left or right side of the road countries.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I fail to see what the the problem is. It is the shape of the reflector that determines where on the road the light illuminates. Do the beams light up the road as they should? To me it makes sense that the low beam is positioned higher so that it can shine down on the road close to the bike and not dazzle oncoming traffic. It could also be a pure styling exercise but as I asked do the lights illuminate the road as they should?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I fail to see what the the problem is. It is the shape of the reflector that determines where on the road the light illuminates. Do the beams light up the road as they should? To me it makes sense that the low beam is positioned higher so that it can shine down on the road close to the bike and not dazzle oncoming traffic. It could also be a pure styling exercise but as I asked do the lights illuminate the road as they should?
I can see your point .........
My whole point is..........and some seem to have missed my point...........the High Beam illuminates the road but LOWER than the low beam.
Now the mounting design on the bike is that the dual hi beams sit lower on the cluster but I would have thought the throw of the beam would have been further than the low beam, on the road.
The physical design means very little if the throw of the lights are good, on the tarmac ahead, but this bike throws to just short or same as the low beam.
In 45 years of driving, I've never owned a vehicle that does this........unless the hi beam is individually adjustable from the low beam.
It looks fine, to look at.
I guess I'll have to mount an LED spotty somewhere, because night riding on a country road is asking for trouble.
My K 1200 R naked had a small, single hi beam that was as useless as tits on a bull, but the S lights are dual & bigger reflector, so I'm disappointed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The shape if the reflector puts the light where it should be, if your high beam dont shine higher and further than the low beam, something is wrong, it does, the highs reflectors only put light in the upper half.
Maybe you have low grade bulbs in. Or the bulbs are not seated properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts