BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Henning. I recently acquired a 2010 BMW 1300 GT. I am happy with the bike overall with a few exceptions. One is the OEM center stand height. I am 6’2”, 200 pounds and found it difficult to use even with empty bags.
As I design and build equipment as my occupation, I decided to modify the center stand to make it easier to use. When the bike is on the center stand the rear wheel is 1 ½” off the ground which seems excessive. So I took the center stand off and shortened it by 1”. Then I made the lever arm 1” longer by machining a piece of shaft that fits inside the existing lever arm and then there is a one inch section the same thickness as the outside lever arm. After welding and painting, the whole modified assembly looks original.
After reinstalling the center stand the fully loaded 1300 GT bike just about jumps up there by itself!
When the bike is on the modified center stand, the rear tire will not spin freely. A small piece of plywood under the center stand may be necessary when taking the wheel off.
I provide this service for $115.00 which includes return shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states. You take your stand off and send it to me and I will modify and ship back to you. The whole modified assembly looks original but actually works. No one wants to struggle with getting their bike on its center stand. This is the solution.
If you need directions on how to remove and install the center stand, let me know and I will tell you how I did mine.
Please contact me at [email protected].

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
I did something quite similar after the third center stand broke on my K12GT, although I didn't shorten it. You can see pics and details in this post in this thread.

My only suggestion for you is to maybe cut a little bit less off the center stand. Going to 3/4" should be enough so that the rear tire can spin freely, but the bike will still be much easier to lift.

Offering this service to others could be quiet a useful thing. That's not a terrible price for someone who doesn't have access to welding equipment and just wants it done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Would 3/4" off stand keep rear wheel off and

yet by adding the extra 1" to the lever still make it easy to lift? I am interested in your take and if a yes I would likely ship mine to you. Thanks for the info. This would certainly make life easier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
frankr said:
yet by adding the extra 1" to the lever still make it easy to lift? I am interested in your take and if a yes I would likely ship mine to you. Thanks for the info. This would certainly make life easier.

Yes, increasing the lever should still make it easier to lift.However I have not done only that to test it. But lowering the center stand by 3/4 of an inch and increasing the lever length by 1 inch should solve the problem of the rear wheel not spinning and still make it substantially easier to lift up. I can lower the center stand by any length you would like though,1/2 of an inch, to make sure the rear wheel would spin freely,

I should be able to post some picture of my center stand here in a few days, after about 3000 miles of use with the modification.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Nice work, Henning. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts