BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding an R bike for years I bought a '86 K75 last year and it has turned into my favorite bike. My friend has an '03 K12RS that I love. I'm thinking of going strictly K-Bike so I need some input on the RS vs. GT and i think i like the look of the earlier models opposed to the new GT. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome.

My input would be to browse the forum. There is much good information and opinion to be found here. There is a downloadable servie manual too. Otherwise, you need to ask more specific questions.

Prime directive is ride safe on whatever!

Good luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
FWIW, in my search for a Beemer from the early 2000's (i.e., "Classic"), I came away with the feeling the differences between the RS and GT lie mainly in the intent of the bike: "sportly" versus "touring". Otherwise, the bikes seem to be essentially interchangeable. I've got GT mirrors on my RS (they're slightly wider than the RS' - I wanna see what's sneaking up on me!), and the GT wind deflectors in front of the handgrips (bolt-on change). The RS' riding position is certainly more "lean into it" and all that, while the GT's more "sit up and ride". Frankly, I prefer the former position, even on extended rides. Some folks don't like it or complain about aching backs, knees, etc. YMMV

The point here is neither bike is fundamentally better than the other. It's more of a question of what fits your personal style and what bike just pushes the right buttons for you. One of the great truths about riding is "ride your own ride". That applies to picking what you ride on, too, :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts