BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a K75S an really enjoy it. I'm thinking that it needs a friend in the garage. My '99GS is looking for a new home and I am thinking that a K100RS or K1100RS
might be just the thing. I like the look of the K1100RS but am curious about the strengths and weakness of the different models; K100 two valve, K100 four valve, and the K1100. I would guess like other BMW models the later years in any model line tend to be the better bikes but maybe not. With the Ks as I understand it the K100 four valve is the late model K100 but at the beginning of the four valve era. New and old at the same time. I don't see many of the K100 four valves available. Lots of K100RS two valve and a fair amount of K1100RS.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have all 3 variants in my stable - which one is best ??????

NONE - they all do different things in different ways! Each has their faults.

The K100 [ 2 valve ] feels the lightest [ all are RS variants ].

DESPITE what the para lovers tell you - there is very little real World gains from the Para rear end - except extra weight and complication vs the cost element of a later bike.

4 Pot calipers on the later bikes - definitely a plus.

ABS - I chucked mine over the hedge - and saved 22kgms.

More scope with the para bikes if you want to fit larger wheels / tyres.

2v vs 4v - jury's still out. The 2V seem to have more low down grunt [ as you'd expect from a 2V] - 4V has that little extra top end, how often do you travel at 130 mph ?

Probably comes down to budget. £1000 should get you a very nice MOT'd K100RS, expect to pay up to double for an 1100 version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts