BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently riding an old but trusty 1976 R75/6 BMW. A friend's husband who is ill offered to sell me his 1985 K100 BMW for $2000 because he knows it will have a good home.

I already read the "K-Bike Buyer's Guide"
by Don Eilenberger so I know there are some issues with this model at this age. It has 30,000 miles on the odometer and he didn't say this wasn't the actual mileage and since this is Wisconsin our riding season is short. But is that the correct mileage? Not 100% sure.

The paint looks "new" altho original and I believe the bike was well-maintained in that he took it to the dealer. I believe he changed the engine oil frequently -- he claims every 1000 miles. He was more vague about the trannie oil change intervals.

Unfortunately its a K100 and not a K100RT which I would much prefer in this cool climate. It does have the BMW plastic windshield, saddlebags, and the small box on back. Otherwise it's pretty much stock.

As I live a few hundred miles from the bike I don't have access to it now, but it did seem like a nice motorcycle, altho I didn't ride it. When I go down in the spring I will bring
Don's "K-Bike Buyer's Guide" along and inspect the bike closer and also give it a long test ride.

But any advice or feedback you might have would be appreciated. Mostly I'm worried that I will miss the full RT fairing. Also I have not had a water-cooled bike before with fuel injection and the added complexity in a bike this old worries me a little as I maintain my bikes and all my stuff myself.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I currently ride a '04 K1200RS. I think the biggest mistake that I have made in a long time, was two weeks ago when I sold my '85 K100RT.
These things are tough.
Remember that these bikes are tall and top heavy. They take a little getting used to. Don't let this turn you off.
Also the engine is "buzzy", 80mph is 5,000rpm. But don't let it bother you. I rode 300 mi. to Phoenix at 5,000rpm for almost 5 hrs.
Things to look for:
Try to get the maintenance paperwork for it.
You will have to lube the driveshaft splines. A 1 hour job after you have done it a few times.
Ride it if you can and very gently apply the brakes, you are trying to feel if the rotors are warped.
Look for oil leaks especially thru the bottom vent hole near the clutch and a hole at the front of the engine at the water/oil pump.
Parts for BMW's are generally pricey. So check the simple things, brake pads, cables, fork seals( if it has fork gaiters, thats a good thing), etc..
Bruce C

·
Registered
79 Posts
$2000 for a 1985 K100 with 30,000 mi. That sounds like a very good deal to me, I'd buy it. Make sure you lube the drive shaft after you purchase the bike, unless you know for sure that it's been done within the last year.

Personally, I prefer the naked look than the RT, full fairing look. With a windshield, I think you can find suffcient wind protection.

·
Registered
375 Posts
$2000 for a clean K100 sounds like a really good deal to me.

I've owned the old R bikes and I prefer the K's. I think you'd really like it.
The K100 motors last forever and the fuel injection is fabulous.

There were some issues with the 1985s but ironically many people refer to 1985 as the K-Bikes finest year.

Check out this link below. It summarizes some of the 1985 issues. Even with these issues, I'd go for it!

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/fyk-purchase-faq.shtml

·
Registered
23 Posts
2nd 1985 k100

For what it is worth, I am on my second 1985 k100. I traded an old harly on the first one, had a k1200lt and a k1200 rs in between as well as a 1500 Kawasaki that really didn't count. There is a list of mods that should be done on the '85 but they are pretty simple. the bike is almost bulletproof and you have to look around for things to do to it when you get bored. If it only has 30 k on it the biggest problem would probably be dessicated rubber, brake lines and old wiring. It sounds like a nice ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My first bmw was a 1985 k100rs, I loved it! Took it for two tours out east from Milwaukee, to Washington DC and Maine. If you and the bike are not to far away, I would be willing to look at it with you. I have done the drive shaft splines myself and it is not a big job. There is also a very good independent shop in East Troy Wisconsin.

05 k1200s
05 v-stron
04 r1150gs ad.
89 k100lt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is some very helpful advice and tips here that I'd like to re-read and think over.

The only thing I noticed about the bike was that the front bottom of the engine seemed sort of dirty while the painted parts of the bike seemed clean and nicely wiped down. While I did crawl around and inspect the bike some, I didn't think of looking at the rubber parts for deterioration.

I sure wish now I had taken some photos of the bike that I could refer to.

·
Registered
460 Posts
K100

I agree with above comments and will add that there will be some heat buildup on hot days in traffic....not a huge issue, but there it is. I remember when I first got my 1985 K100RS....I didn't realize the fan was locked up. It never came on when in motion. I started to get a warning light when stuck in Albuquerque traffic. When I replaced the fan, I added a small LED to the dash so I could tell when it switched on. The bike sounds cherry to me. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 91 K100LT for $2,500. It was in the same shape you describe, plus a maze of tiny surface cracks in the fairing paint. 60k miles.

After riding it approx 60 days, I made a completely rational and business like decision. I was in love.

I tore it apart for complete services, new fork springs, new tires, new paint, new windshield (the R version), gunfighter seat, yada, yada, yada... Bottom line is I completely fell in love with this brick. I wouldn't trade it for a /dozen/ Harleys. It looks and rides like new, and I have supreme confidence I can get on it tommorow and ride completely across the country on it without a hitch. The bright blue paint and fresh looks get complements everywhere I go.

Your K-bike has bottomed out in price at $2,000 if it's a "runner". If you decide not to buy it, e-mail me so I can can get a shot at it!!!

Gareth

·
Registered
74 Posts
1985 K100rt

I just sold my 1985 K100RT recently and purchased a 2004 K1200 GT. While I like my GT, I wish I would have kept my 1985 K100RT. They are rock solid.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Last September, I bought an '85 K100RT with 50,000 mi, just to see if I liked the BMW ride. Now, I'm converted from cruisers! I'm probably going to upgrade to a newer K-bike soon, but I'll keep the K100 around for kicks. It's very solid, fast, and smooth and a good change from a cruiser. It is a little tall, which is one thing I had against 'Wings, but the bike is such a good balance between weight , size, and power, it has been easy to adjust to the ride. Do a full service on the bike, get the spline lubed, and have fun!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for all your helpful replies.

Its appears that I'm going down tomorrow to test this 1985 K100 with 30,000 miles on it for $2000 and I may well buy it. I will closely inspect it for the things that you guys mentioned. I've make notes to take with me. My plan is to borrow it for an entire day to see if it's a good "fit." Within a couple hours in the saddle I should know how much I like it. I also hope to visit some of my old haunts on it in SE Wisconsin where it is presently located to see how much "love" there is in this thing.

When I come back end of next week with the K100 (if I buy it) I will post a full report and maybe some photos too. It's a 375 mile ride back here so I will know it pretty well by then. I will do the spline lube job once back home.

I don't suppose if anybody here knows if a garden tractor battery will fit the '85 K100 without any modification? It appears to take the same size battery as my R75/6 and I have always run a garden tractor battery in that bike, but the R75/6 battery box had to be slightly modified & enlarged to make it fit.

Present owner hasn't ridden the K100 in a couple years so I'm thinking that its battery might be shot....

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Battery Fitment

You can get a lawn mower battery to fit a K 100 because it is a large case battery. When you put a permanent battery in it, use an oil head battery, they are smaller and work great.

JON

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dark_Cloud said:
You can get a lawn mower battery to fit a K 100 because it is a large case battery. When you put a permanent battery in it, use an oil head battery, they are smaller and work great.

JON
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm the guy who started this thread and just back from buying this 1985 K100.

It is now my bike and I do like it.

The K100 was in better shape than I remembered. The owner (who is ill and wants it to have a good home) had it maintained all these years at the dealership. Claimed to have the oil/filter changed every 1000 miles. He swore that the 33,000 mileage on it is spot on and from the looks of the bike, wear on the brake pedal and footpegs I believe him. Says the spline was lubed often.

He let me take it overnight to where I was staying at my sisters and the next day I checked it over. Took out the tools and tightened all the nuts and bolts (found a few minor "loose" items but nothing like an old Harley). Familiarized myself with the controls, etc. and just let it get to know my presence and vice versa.

I checked my list of '85 trouble points, and the only thing that hasn't been updated is the rear brake reservoir which seems to be the original and the owner also thought it was. The centerstand, pegs, etc. all seem to been updated. Paint is very clean and nice and the whole bike is clean with nary an oil leak or seep or visible wear in sight. Rubber parts all looked good as if they had been replaced. I have some paperwork but have not looked thru it yet. Battery only a year old. Tires two years old with almost zero miles on them. Nary a scratch on the windshield and he never had a bungie cord on this bike either.

The next day I took the K100 out of Racine (Wis.) and into the countryside for a 125 mile test ride. It felt no more top-heavy than my faired R75/6 altho the steering is heavier and feels like a bigger bike. It sounded like a little Honda when idling and it makes a slight subdued "rattle" when I let the clutch out (and when I let off the gas in low gear idling along) but the owner said it "always" did that and since that was NOT a warning sign in the Buyers Guide I let it go. Noise goes away at speed. Normal timing chain sound?

I can only describe the power as "turbine-like." It shifts very easily and well and I liked that right away (my R75/6 shifts like a pig). The BMW windshield on it did an okay job in the wind. Better than nothing. Everything on the bike works fine including the gear indicator which is a wonderful feature that I have never had before. I made my final decision on that ride (and you guys had helped me too) so I rode back into the city, went directly to his house, and paid him. I felt a little sad because he really loves this bike, but it will have a good home altho in future I will be be doing ALL the work on it.

Yesterday I rode it back here on the Freeway. Ran flawlessly. I did note some vibration in the handlebar and the mirrors vibrated more than I liked (esp. the left side). In fact, the right mirror stem came loose and I stopped and tightened it. No big deal as no bike is perfect. I kept my speed under 75 mph with occassional runs up near eightly (I hate speeding tickets).

The only time I got a taste of its power was while passing a semi-truck at a good clip (around 75 mph). Some yahoo in a car came up from behind at a high rate of speed, got into the RIGHT lane, and was going to pass me on the right, cut me off, and then pass the semi in front of me.

Seeing that dangerous situation unfolding, I opened the throttle and pulled away like a shot and left the FOOL in the car in my wake. Seeing he had no hope of overtaking me he got back in behind me where he belonged. I quickly passed the semi and got into the right lane and let the speed freak in the car sail by.

As I remembered there was some caked dirt and grime under the front of the engine and I had cleaned that off. But the day when I rode it 125 miles it never leaked a drop nor did it on the way back home. No leaks from the clutch area either.

The final test came coming in my two miles of gravel road and sand driveway. It handled no worse in the sand than my R75/6 altho it is no "dirt bike" either. I have to go out there and rake some of that loose sand out of there....

Thanks for listening!
Red 1985 K100

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Forgot to mention gas mileage and fuel warning lights.

Got about 40 mpg on the freeway driving between 68-75 mph. Not as good as I'd like but okay.

The orange (1.8. gal) fuel warning light never came one. At 145 miles after fillup the red (1 gal) light came on. I rode it to 166 miles and then filled up. Bike took 4.2 gal. Tank is 5.8 gal so the warning lights are a bit wacky but I can live with that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
serious k bike prob

last year i had the opportunity to buy 2 k100 rs bikes for less then 6000$ can.one is an 85 and the other a 90 w/abs.i like the simpliscity of the 85,its lightness and its turbine sound.the 90 is a better handler,heavier and sounds like a euro sportscar.i need to part with one of them but i love them both.they are very rare in this neck of the woods.i have lost all my bike riding friends because they cant keep up with me and speeding tickets are expensive.does anyone have any advice...lol??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts