BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been chasing a buzz about 2500-3000 rpm for a couple years. After putting the bike on my lift, and securing, I fired it up and ran the rpm up to the buzz. I discovered the side stand and center stand were against the muffler and were causing most of the problem.
The fix: I loosened the bolts securing the center stand bracket, backing them out within a couple turns of complete removal. This lowered the bracket so I could remove the bolts one at a time. I machined four (4) 3/16th round brass spacers, cut the holes for the mounting bolts, and one at a time removed the mounting bolts and slipped the spacers between the bracket and the frame. This resulted in the side stand not hitting the muffler and made no difference in putting the bike on the center stand. This removed most of the buzz. The bike is a 89 k100rs. I completely removed the muffler guard a few years ago.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I haven't had the stock exhaust in what seems like decades, but... shouldn't there be a molded rubber bumper pad where the stands retract to prevent just what you are experiencing?

Frank

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k100 Buzz

It's still there, but the side stand was still hitting the muffler while resting on the bumper.

·
Registered
196 Posts
harper said:
It's still there, but the side stand was still hitting the muffler while resting on the bumper.
If the "foot" that sits on the ground is contacting, you can trim a little off of it for clearance. If the "deploy" arm is contacting, you can give it a little bend to clear. There should be a little rubber button it also.

Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts