BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

The centerstand snapped off while putting it up fully ladened right after crossing into Canada. Im on a two week tour off our northern neighbor.. I nearly dropped the entire bike which would have sucked big time. Luckily my gf was there tohelp steady it. I think the day before i put it up on a stone which crimped the tube and weaked it. Dumb design!

Anyone had a problem with the sidestand failing? Its all I have right now and still have 10 days of supporting a very heavy bike during this trip. the stand seems a bit flimsy when parked. Just looking for a bit of confidence in the sidestand.

BTW The huge plume of smoke is awesome after starting it now.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Unfortunately, they do that. BMW changed the design in later years. If the bike leans too far over on the side stand try placing a block under it. If you don't mind the smoke, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nothing like a bit of top end lubrication! but as for the sidestand the worst seems to be an exaggerated list to port but never heard of one breaking.

Hopefully all will be well for the rest of the trip and you need to look for an 1100 centrestand as a replacement which is almost a straight swap and a better design IMHO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happened to me once to. Flipped the bike right over on its side. Fortunately I found a used one from a guy putting on a side car.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mine did that waaaay back when. I had it welded and gussetted at that time. After it wore out I put a straight legged K11 style on it and it is better in every way. Easier to put up on the centerstand and so much stronger. No real modifications necessary to anything else.

Frank

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good. What's needed to do the k1100 centerstand on a k100? Any special hardware or anything? Just saw a k1100 in Montreal and it does look like a better design.

·
Registered
196 Posts
lukeman said:
Sounds good. What's needed to do the k1100 centerstand on a k100? Any special hardware or anything? Just saw a k1100 in Montreal and it does look like a better design.
Nothing is needed to change it over. You can use all the stock mounting hardware. You may have to put some K1100 spacers under the mount bracket with the longer bolts if the ground clearance of the rear tire (while on the stand) isn't enough. I didn't need them.

Frank

·
Registered
95 Posts
lukeman said:
I was lucky with mine and got the mounting plate as well which is supposedly slightly different on the early models but which years that affects and how different is debatable as I could not see any visible difference.

The only other thing I had to do was modify the sidestand foot slightly with the trusty angle grinder to prevent interference with the new stand.

Clearance with the back tyre may also be an issue if you are running bigger than 130.

·
Registered
172 Posts
FlyingDuck said:
What happens is that water collects in the tubes and rusts them out until they fail. The four valve K center stands are solid to prevent this.
Seems like the owner wouldn't know there was a problem until the unit failed. Short of replacing the stand, I wonder what one can do to help prevent failure. Plug the tubes somehow to prevent water entry? Drill a couple of strategically placed weep holes? Anyone tried anything like this?
Steve
1990 K75RT

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Steve,

The centrestand tubes are supposed to have rubber bungs in the end of them but how much damage has already been done is a real gamble.

I have heard of the stands being removed and running an anti corrosive mix inside the legs and also welding extra gussets just in case but for my money and piece of mind it was just as easy to replace it.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
The problem is that after repeated use those caps start to wear out. Then they'll let water in and keep it in there.

I've heard of people filling the center stand tubes with expanding insulation or whatever to keep the water out.

At a minimum, it probably wouldn't hurt to pull the caps every once in a while and put some sort of silicone or sealant around them.

Must really suck to come out and see your bike taking a nap because the center stand failed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just got a k1100 stand and am going to put it on tonight.

Had the bike fallen when it failed I would have been really really pissed. It was going away from me and I thought for sure it was down but my gf threw herself against it and got it back up.

I did run into a problem with a tad too much oil and with leaning on the side stand it fowled the plugs and wouldn't start. Ugg.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just stripped one of the allen bolts. Thought I finally had it broken, but it was just stripping. Ugg. This stand is kicking my ass. :spank1:

Guess I got two options, find a bracket because those bolts loosened without any trouble or [email protected] with the stripped bolt. Looks like it is pretty rusted into the threads...

What do you guys think? I'm thinking that I'm going to need one of those reverse tapping tools and I'm going to have to get a torch out to break through the rust. Living in a small apartment in dc do I really want to get a propane torch. Maybe my backpacking camp stove... haha

Looks like I can find an entire bracket and another centerstand on ebay for like 70 bucks...

Decisions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The center stand on my '88 K100 RS hasn't failed yet but given all the horror stories here, I'd like to go ahead and just do the replacement now. Maybe I missed it, but where can i pick up a new K1100 center stand?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got mine off of ebay. Don't even look in the BMW catalogs. It is over 500 bucks for a new stand and the bracket if you wanted it. Mine had a little bit of rust, but nothing that some sand paper and spray paint won't fix.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Older bikes need to be looked after more so & do rust - just like servicing the bike, weekly or monthly checks are necessary - if you wrench your bike - yet others depend on their dealer to look after their bikes. If you ride year round wash your bike of salt from the roads as wel.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fan just melted. Parked the bike, saw smoke coming from under the tank, scared me for a bit until I realized it was the piece of shit fan. :boom:

Haha. When it rain it pours eh?

Going to probably get the motor only from beemer boneyard and solder it in. There is no way in hell i'm paying 240 bucks for a POS bosch fan that is prone to failure.

Bike will be all new pretty soon.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Spent some today lying on the shed floor studying my centerstand. Maybe I'm lucky...the "bungs" are in there pretty good, tho I think I will put some sealant around their edges just in case. Abandoning my notion of "weepholes" ( a la the bottom of car doors)...if water isn't getting in, no sense putting a hole anywhere. But as for lubrication...my stand doesn't quite match the Clymer's diagrams...Clymer suggests removing the unit, removing the bushings that the stand pivots on, and greasing those bushings. Probably a good idea, but is there a simpler way? At the top of my stand's tubes, directly in the bushing housing and facing the rear of the bike (when the bike is up on the stand ) , there is one tiny hole in each tube. They sure look like BMW put them there. Are these grease inlets for the bushings? Pretty sure I could get a needle fitting in them.
Steve
1990 K75RT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts