BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. Changed fork oil and a leaky seal over the weekend ('91 K100 RS), couple of questions.

The manual refers to two different types of forks, each requiring their own quantity of oil. How do I know if I have "sport suspension" or not? Rear shock is a Koni.

I was not able to remove the spring from the fork I opened up. On other bikes (non-BMW) I have worked on they have simply lifted out. Hoping there is not a piece missing under the spring causing it to ride down onto something down there. On assembly, there was tension on the cap, as I had to push it down firmly to start the threads.

Also, after repairing both the front brake switch and the ABS rocker switch, I cannot clear the light with the directions I found (grounding middle connection while holding switch for 8 to 10 seconds) I am now able to change the flashing to a steady glow, however.

Finding quite a few loose ends on this bike, all from the previous owner's "ingenuity".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Duck. I'll check the Clymer manual when I get home. The local BMW tech asked me which forks when I asked him about the refill capacity. When I later checked the owner's manual, the two different types were listed with their oil fill capacities. No mention of how to distinguish between the two. I dumped the old oil into a measuring cup, one had 11 ounces, The one with the failed seal had 12. I refilled with 11 ounces per leg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts