BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi how easy is it to remove instrument cluster on my rs
need to get the fuel guage working ,is it just the one light that illuminates when down to reserve ? there is another light ? beside it ,the other has the pic of a fuel bowser i noticed some k,s have 2 bowser cymbals ? it will be good to get it working before we go away ,will beout bush a bit at some stages up thru queensland ,nth new south wales

·
Registered
305 Posts
on my K75s had to take all the plastic off to get the pod out. Imagine the rs is about the same. Early K100s (1985) had 2 low fuel lites, one at about 2 gallons and the other at about 1 gallon. They decided this was a stupid system and changed it to just one lite at about 1 gallon. But they left the place for the unused light on the faceplate. You may just have a burned out bulb, easy enough once you get the pod out. Check all the connections while you're in there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
sp?

What the hell's a "bowser cymbal"? Part of an Ozzy drum set?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Old memories...! 4 Hex bolts on the bottom of the back cover, a little fiddly to get at if the plastic is on, but stick a mirror in there first then you should be able to see them.

But my early K did have condensation problems inside the cluster, plenty of it because I had to park it or ride it in cold rainy weather quite often. I fixed that by venting it, a few very small holes on the back of the instruments top and bottom did the trick. Then I took it to the shop for some other work, heated grips ????, they took the cluster off to do that, noticed the holes and plugged them with sillycone.....the buggers!!! Next day or so, cluster still full of condensation.....Grrrr! Had to go back in there and remove the sillycone. :( Later went back to my mechanic and explained it to him and.......he started doing that same mod to other bikes. :eek:ldster:

But since you are going in there you can do what I did also, that is lube the electronics/contacts/gears with some high quality dielectric lube, the marine stuff is always good, may save you from a dead speedo and unwarranted performance awards....! :teeth

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry ocelot
my ossie strine me forgets what dose it mean
a bowser here is common term for a fuel pump at a petrol station

1 - 6 of 6 Posts